Soft top is a pain in the a$#

Punk'N_JL

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 4 Door Sport
put the soft top on today.. gee whiz what a pain in the butt.
But we got it done. I’m not sure if I like it. I am impressed how quiet it is with it on.
The soft top rails just look weird when the top is thrown back. And I don’t like that the windows have to be undone to throw it back. I suppose you get used to it and it should only take a minute to do. I’m going to give it a few weeks and see if I like it. If not then it will go up for sale.
The naked look is much better. But what do you do if it rains? Get one of those throw on covers?
I wish I was located in a climate where it doesn’t rain much but not so here.
my wife and i both have the new JL with soft top. love just tossing it back in the first position as I call it (not taking all the way down) for most trips and such. i've had mine all the way down once so far and the back windows were tricky the first time but not to bad once you learn the tricks. as you do it a few more times it will losen up a tad and make it easier to put up and down.
Sponsored

Vstarjewel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 Door Sport Wrangler
Maybe it's because I'm only 5 feet tall and owned a automatic convertible prior to getting Mimi but I could never put the top back all the way. I watched YouTube videos on how to do it and practiced doing it over and over again in the driveway. I would flip up just the front part on occasion but then it was sagging so much I was worried it might collapse. IMO pulling the soft top up and down doesn't justify an hour or two of driving around with the top down once or twice a week maybe. And none of this mentions the hoist and pulley setup my husband had to create in the garage to get the hardtop off . BUT.... I would have gotten the one touch option in a heartbeat if it came in a 2-door.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I've taken my hardtop off with my $150 Lange manual lift 10+ times and can do it in 15 minutes. I'm wrestling with selling my hardtop for a premium soft top and have an option to buy 1 for a grand, but I'd have to drive 9 hrs roundtrip. The seller refuses to ship and wants cash. I live in TN and daily drive the jeep...gets colder in the winter, so I doubt I'd go topless 4-5 months of the year. I like how easy the soft top comes off and believe it feels more like a jeep with a soft top.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Our ritual has always been to have the hardtop starting in late fall and taking off for the soft top in late spring. The soft top has been on the jeep for the last 18 months and we will probably put the hard top somewhere else.

With the new JLUR, we did not even purchase a hard top - just soft top from the factory.

Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Another thing I discovered is that my fire extinguisher cannot fit on the roll bar with the soft top. Now I have to find another place for it.
I have an answer for this..

I placed my fire extinguisher slung under the roll bar just inside the driver side rear door, set as far back as it could be. It works with the soft top, spiderwebshade, and Mopar handles.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I have found 2 cases I dont like the soft top:

Extreme wind. Not talking lil sissy stuff, it does fine in that. Other day going over a bridge with gusts ripping off of Pacific ocean it was scary as all get up, they whistled, and the jeep was all over the place. I seriously thought I might loose pieces. Obviously this is extreme, but it was really distracting while fighting to stay mostly in a lane.

Burn days in mountains: Up in sierras last weekend I found out there are burn days, finding large pieces of ash on soft top was not really something one wants to see. I have driven through fire storms, I guess in general in any natural disaster/fire/wind storm a hard top is looking good.

Otherwise safari mode is greatest thing since sliced bread

brain

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unsinkablebriancork.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JT (Gladiator) Mojave | Gobi
Occupation
Business and Executive Coach
Vehicle Showcase
put the soft top on today.. gee whiz what a pain in the butt.
But we got it done. I’m not sure if I like it. I am impressed how quiet it is with it on.
The soft top rails just look weird when the top is thrown back. And I don’t like that the windows have to be undone to throw it back. I suppose you get used to it and it should only take a minute to do. I’m going to give it a few weeks and see if I like it. If not then it will go up for sale.
The naked look is much better. But what do you do if it rains? Get one of those throw on covers?
I wish I was located in a climate where it doesn’t rain much but not so here.
I just picked up my JCR Half Doors. For the 2DR JL, I feel the soft top is the way to go. It's a breeze (literally) to push back or over. Mind you, I'm in Atlanta so the sublime tops off days outnumber most others. When I take the top off completely the door surrounds come off as well and it looks awesome. You gotta admit it. All that said, I believe when it comes to Wranglers, you "feel" it or you don't. I simply love everything about them.

IMG_0033.jpeg

jedisrus

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
New Mexico, Not really new - not really Mexico...
Vehicle(s)
2018 GCM JLUR 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I feel the same way as the OP. It is easy for me to use my hoist to remove the hard top. I like to feel and look much better naked than with the soft top down.

I would like to find a good quick cover for those days I get caught out in the rain.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
The JL top is hideous. I can't figure out of it looks worse up or down...and that safari bullshit is just awful
The JK soft top is missing some bows and looks like you threw an unfolded tent on top you Jeep in the sunder position. Windowless it just looks like you have clear windows. The JL’s is superior in every way. The safari top is honestly what first attracted me to the JL. The JK’s looks old and busted.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I feel the same way as the OP. It is easy for me to use my hoist to remove the hard top. I like to feel and look much better naked than with the soft top down.

I would like to find a good quick cover for those days I get caught out in the rain.
The soft top is actually easier to remove than the hardtop.
It’s the most versatile top with the most options.
1) Windows in and top up.
2) safari mode
3) sunrider mode
4) folded back
5) naked
6) sunrider and safari mode.
You can even drop the top back and disconnect it to sit folded like the JK’s did.
There’s a configuration for every mood.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Big fan of the Safari look. Good points about the fires and burning ash. I live in so cal burn areas. Running mine with hard top for now.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
The fire extinguisher is for when yours catches fire.
So true , great answer. I’ve been camping and off roading for many many years and my friends and myself have used our fire extinguishers to help other people and I have yet to see a person with a fire extinguisher use it for themselves. You made a great point.
Sponsored