Soft top is a pain in the a$#

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Sorry you don't like it, but it seems you are way in the minority. There's a recent thread with pages of us who love the soft top. Safari looks a little weird, but it's super practical as I can have an open air setup when it's just too hot to have the sun beating down on me. It takes me seconds to take my windows out and about 2 minutes to put them in now that I've done it a few times. You can always go sunrider if you don't want the windows out. That takes 5 seconds.
Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
I think the soft top is great. I was amazed at how quite it was and only complaint would be that when lowered it is not as flush as I would like. Small issue really.

The hard top would be superior in every way except taking it off and nobody wants a jeep with top on all the time, might as well bought a SUV.

aai

First Name
aai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL 2.0 Rubicon : '20 JT 3.6 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I drive in light rain in safari mode quite a bit. Never hardly get water inside. Its like sitting at the porch on a rainy day lol. Absolutely love it

clf1024

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018 JL Sahara
The soft-top is the best thing about the JL. The reason I sold my 2015 JK. Easy on/off. No zippers. Don't use the back windows at all.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
The JL top is hideous. I can't figure out of it looks worse up or down...and that safari bullshit is just awful
Another thing I discovered is that my fire extinguisher cannot fit on the roll bar with the soft top. Now I have to find another place for it.

Sponsored

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I guess it's all part of the Jeep experience! I read where someone compared the soft top to a Model T. True! My last car had one button, windows go down, top goes down. Lot's of options out there.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Sorry you don't like it, but it seems you are way in the minority. There's a recent thread with pages of us who love the soft top. Safari looks a little weird, but it's super practical as I can have an open air setup when it's just too hot to have the sun beating down on me. It takes me seconds to take my windows out and about 2 minutes to put them in now that I've done it a few times. You can always go sunrider if you don't want the windows out. That takes 5 seconds.
I agree. I was in the drive-thru window the other day and hopped out and took the top down completely before the car in front of me moved up. That could have never happened in my previous Jeep. Is it perfect? No. But it's the best top I've seen.

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
put the soft top on today.. gee whiz what a pain in the butt.
But we got it done. I’m not sure if I like it. I am impressed how quiet it is with it on.
The soft top rails just look weird when the top is thrown back. And I don’t like that the windows have to be undone to throw it back. I suppose you get used to it and it should only take a minute to do. I’m going to give it a few weeks and see if I like it. If not then it will go up for sale.
The naked look is much better. But what do you do if it rains? Get one of those throw on covers?
I wish I was located in a climate where it doesn’t rain much but not so here.
Soft top for me is my winter top. First signs of spring found it off and packed away. I do have a trail top that I put on for rain (about 2 minutes to put on), and I carry a towel and change of clothes for unforeseen rain storms in transit. That being said, by Rubi isn't my DD, so if its raining or rain is eminent, the Jeep doesn't come out to play that day.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I love the JL soft top, much easier than my YJ or TJ ever was.

I am the opposite, wranglers look weird with anything but a soft top to me ( up, down, safari, off) why would I want to pay more money for a roof that takes away the top reason I bought a wrangler.

Hard tops and Sky one touch can go to freakin HELL :P

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I did it one handed the other day. Too lazy to put the item down so I just kept on with putting it down one-handed. Too easy - especially compared to older models.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I'm with Lisa on the look. Naked is much better than retracted soft top, but I wouldn't say it's ugly with the soft top. One of the main cosmetic issues I have with it is the same one David mentioned. I really wish it wasn't a blob of material folded up at the back when it's retracted. I don't know how Jeep could make it more flush without totally compromising the cargo area, but I've never liked that about soft top convertibles (not just the Jeep).

Personally I like the hardtop better. I have an electric hoist with Topsy brackets so I can take the top on/off in less than 5 minutes by myself with no effort. That said, if you don't have a similar set-up I could certainly see where the hardtop would be a pain and could make the summer experience less enjoyable.
As for Safari mode. I like the idea off it, but I'll stick with removing the hard top and putting the freedom panels back on when I need some protection from light rain or sun.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Another thing I discovered is that my fire extinguisher cannot fit on the roll bar with the soft top. Now I have to find another place for it.
Lisa: I get that after spending all that money on the JL, then on accessories like your fire extinguisher, hat to go out and spend yet further money is a difficult proposition for me to sell, but I really think this is worth the money:

https://elementfire.com/

It lasts longer (in stored mode) than a conventional fire extinguisher, as its energy is stored in chemicals that only release it when combined--rather than pressurization--it lasts longer on a fire, it's smaller, and it's something you can throw in the front driver's door sleeve to have accessible should the very fire you seek to suppress paradoxically preclude your access to the extinguisher there in the back on the Sports bar (albeit hard top only) to supress it.

~~~~~~~

That said, let's talk about the soft top.

I'd strongly advise you, if you haven't, to watch this video. I've seen it many times; I'll watch it again before I install the soft top for the season (just like last year.)

I appreciate your aesthetic opinions though feel differently. Perhaps things will take some *visual* getting use to. Worse case, even if it's yet more money, there are options for "soft top living" if you don't like the OEM one in appearance or difficulty of putting down.

https://mytop.us/

Most other makes of vehicle don't offer such alternatives at any price.

~~~~~~

As far as your frustration with the physical process of installation or simply taking the top down, I think the first time can be hard, that owners need to practive and get better at it over time (and their expectations fall more in sync with the task at hand--so they are less apt subconscientiously to get frustrated.) There's technique involved in angling the soft windows on and off (watch the video) and no zippers to catch like in prior Wrangler models that your recent first time Wrangler ownership may find you "blind" to the "the tough old days." notions.

Then, there's always Sunrider mode.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I've discussed in other threads, I am trying to work this Spring on a DIY emergency top (I don't have use, I just enjoy the challenge) that I see as using thick mil translucent plastic sheathing that's folded up on a roller in the rear of the JL that might look like a soft top boot when tucked away.

Come inclement weather, you pull that sucker out, two sides unfold down to cover the doors, and a combination of magnets and other adhesion methods (e.g. grommets/bungees, suction cups--clear TBD stuff) keep the cover on at, let's say, at speeds of 40mph and below. This can get you out of the business of having a top, and its hardware on at all...although giving your LI locale, and the common summer thunderstorms, you may want an actual top!

: - )

Redx2

First Name
Heather D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JL
I only have a soft top, wouldn't have it any other way. I love how easy it is to open up. Also love safari for wheeling in the brutal desert sun.

KrazyKirk

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
I like both the soft and hard tops. It the winter I have the hardtop on. When we go on vacation I also put the hard top on as my wife worries about someone cutting the soft top. I takes me about 40 minutes to either remove and set the hard top and the same with the soft top. The storage bag for the soft top windows was worth the money for traveling. I never dealt with the windows that had the zippers but the ribs for the JL seem to work well and easy for me.

YerMaun

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUS, '15 JGC SRT, '11 R8 V10, '05 Mustang GT
I also only have the soft top, and love it. Drive in Sunrider for nearly every short trip, and on sunny days take the windows out and flip it down properly. With practice, it only takes a few mins to put the windows back in. Kids like Safari mode on the freeway - airy but not as windy as top down. It's all good!
Sponsored