Sponsored

Soft Top Installation Question

Darkcanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I installed my soft top the other day and everything seemed ok. My only concern was that I was kind of expecting the back corners of the side windows to have more of a positive "click" when engaging the corner post detail. Perhaps this is normal but they didn't seem as secure as I though they would be on their own. However I moved on and installed the rear window which obviously connects the to sides together and everything seems to be ok. Below are pictures of the side window attachment feature. Is this how everyone else's looks?

20180726_081219_resized.jpg

20180726_081228_resized.jpg

20180726_081235_resized.jpg

20180726_081250.jpg
Sponsored

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Its normal, that video out there the guy says it clicks in there. It doesn't, the back window keeps it all together. Don't run it with just the side windows and not the back one. They might end up gone.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
What Bubba33 said. There's definitely no positive click that would make you say to yourself, "ah, I clearly know that it's attached to the rear corner bracket.

And yet it's quite stable as long as it's

1) In its cylindrical "C" track and bead system above

2) Tucked into the lip below and closest to the front of the rig

3) Under and inside the soft top roof above,

4) Prevented from moving away from the rig by the rear window flaps zipperlessly on both sides (driver/passenger) grabbing on to the side window, and

5) The rear window rear flaps tucking under the from behind hardware you hoped would make a click sound on its side.

OP
OP
Darkcanuck

Darkcanuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like mine is normal then. Good to know.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Sponsored

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
I'm considering buying a Premium Soft Top for my JLUR. A couple of hesitations I'm having are:

1) Having to remove so much hardware to put the hard top back on. I wish it could have been designed to leave more hardware on.

2) I have racks on my hard top for my paddleboard and surfboard. I have not seen anything so far I liked as an alternative for the soft top. What have you found?

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm considering buying a Premium Soft Top for my JLUR. A couple of hesitations I'm having are:

1) Having to remove so much hardware to put the hard top back on. I wish it could have been designed to leave more hardware on.

2) I have racks on my hard top for my paddleboard and surfboard. I have not seen anything so far I liked as an alternative for the soft top. What have you found?

I can't imagine it taking more than 10 min to take off all the plastic brackets. How many times are you going to do it a year. I'm only planning on changing tops once a year.

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
I can't imagine it taking more than 10 min to take off all the plastic brackets. How many times are you going to do it a year. I'm only planning on changing tops once a year.
I suppose your right. What about racks? Have you seen anything that fits the JL? So far I'm striking out on racks for a soft top JLU.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info. When your clips are engaged does it look like mine in the pictures?

Yes looks just like yours. Pull on everything when you have it all attached with the rear window,its all together and tight. It's fine the video is misleading,no click when attached.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL