Soft Top install error

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I installed a top, but I have a large gap in the front. I have compared it to another and I can't seem to find an issue. I tried pushing it forward, but it's still got a good size gap. I don't want to force it and break something if there's an error somewhere.

Anyone run into something like this?

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Top install error IMG_7196.JPG
Sponsored

Turchman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 VW Tiguan, 2001 Infinity
Occupation
Engineer and Quality Manager
Make sure nothing is binding in the back. Did you get the back rollers into the guides?

OP
OP

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Make sure nothing is binding in the back. Did you get the back rollers into the guides?
I did. It’s just the one roller on each side, right? Nothing else goes in those tracks?

That roller doesn’t go all the way to the little stopper when I try to close the top, but I can’t see any reason why.

I did notice in the position before you pull the top down, one of the struts was longer than the one that closes right.

I’ll take another look tomorrow with the good one right beside it for comparison. I hope nothing is bent.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
If it is the first time installing.....you need to let it warm up so it stretches out! put the Jeep in the sun or put your heat on high for a little while. Everyone has the same experience when first installing!

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
My top was the same when I first put it on, it just needs to warm up and stretch. It’ll be perfect every time after that.

Sponsored

Luke3.0

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0
Certainly check nothing is pinching or misaligned but don’t be afraid to use a little muscle. I also experience this over the weekend, it takes some effort. I worked the driver side (which was a little closer), once that was hooked and clamped, it pulled the passenger side close enough to hook and clamp as well. Once in, give it a few hours to stretch out before unclamping or you’ll have to go through it again.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Did you lock in the front, before you finished in the back?

OP
OP

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I was able to get it closed this morning. Pretty tight though. It’s sitting in the garage. I’ll pull it out in the Sun when I get home to get it good and warmed up.

How long should I keep it latched before opening it back up?

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
I was able to get it closed this morning. Pretty tight though. It’s sitting in the garage. I’ll pull it out in the Sun when I get home to get it good and warmed up.

How long should I keep it latched before opening it back up?
Probably a few hours in the sun to bring it up to temp should do it. When I swapped the skin on mine the process took about four hours, during which I had it sitting on the driveway - by the time I was done, it was operating the same as the original had.

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Mine took a day or two with it fully closed up in 60-70 degree weather and now it’s perfect. Was a total bear to get it buttoned up the first time though.

OP
OP

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Thanks all. I was really worried I had done something wrong. I'm glad it's a common experience.

I've got all the windows on and sitting in the sun. I'll probably take it to the car wash with some hot water to check for leaks, but also that may help it stretch into place.
Sponsored