First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I've only put about 2000 miles on my Jeep, so, this is not based on long term numbers, and it's still breaking in, but I seem to have noticed a trend (looking at the evic). For the first 1000 miles or so, I had the top in mostly safari config, as the weather was nice. I was blown away with how good the MPG was (averaging 26-27).

Well, as i drove it more and got more used to the sloppy steering, my lead foot started showing up, and about this time the weather started getting rainy, so the sides/back went back on. My MPG started averaging 23-24 for the second 1000 miles.

Today, weather was clear, so I took the sides/back off, and, again, I see my current MPG going higher, like it had been and I see my average starting to creep up. MPG isn't that big of a deal, I just watch it out of curiosity (and to catch myself from driving too aggressively.. Embrace the chill and all that). But, I wouldn't think ditching the back windows would make a big impact.. I can tell that MPG takes a hit with the top in sunrider config (with windows in) vs fully enclosed. I haven't really driven much in "full convertible" mode to know what effect that has..

Any others notice this or have different experiences? I'm completely stock on everything still.
Sponsored

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I've only put about 2000 miles on my Jeep, so, this is not based on long term numbers, and it's still breaking in, but I seem to have noticed a trend (looking at the evic). For the first 1000 miles or so, I had the top in mostly safari config, as the weather was nice. I was blown away with how good the MPG was (averaging 26-27).

Well, as i drove it more and got more used to the sloppy steering, my lead foot started showing up, and about this time the weather started getting rainy, so the sides/back went back on. My MPG started averaging 23-24 for the second 1000 miles.

Today, weather was clear, so I took the sides/back off, and, again, I see my current MPG going higher, like it had been and I see my average starting to creep up. MPG isn't that big of a deal, I just watch it out of curiosity (and to catch myself from driving too aggressively.. Embrace the chill and all that). But, I wouldn't think ditching the back windows would make a big impact.. I can tell that MPG takes a hit with the top in sunrider config (with windows in) vs fully enclosed. I haven't really driven much in "full convertible" mode to know what effect that has..

Any others notice this or have different experiences? I'm completely stock on everything still.
You have two variables, safari mode or not and nice vs. Bad weather, and perhaps a third one, AC on or off.
You would need to have only one, safari mode or not, in order to consider it what causes the MPG difference.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

I have a Trek Top but I typically loose ~1.5 mpg on highway (70+ mph) with the top open and folded back. It definitely causes drag.

Around town at lower speeds (30 to 45) it is not so noticeable but on the highway over longer periods definitely it is.

I presume safari mode is much better than top open and folded back from a drag perspective as well.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

It's possible you found a causal factor in better MPG but it seems a bit counter intuitive to me that putting the soft top in Safari mode wouldn't cause drag (versus it being locked on) that would reduce MPG, not increase it.

Still more, it's hard to draw any conclusions like this from not only your relatively small sample testing, but testing that was done when the rig is new and settling in.

As @LLANERO David pointed out, there are multiple factors that would have to be kept constant but one, for this testing to approach being scientific. Despite all the factors he correctly assigns, additional ones like loss of tire pressure (dealers notoriously over-inflate) could be another. Still more, even if the link you cite is valid, clearly, within limits, creature comfort is going to trump better gas mileage as--taken to extreme--snow fills the interior cabin. ;)

But then again, if MPG was what any of us make our first priority (much that it's always great to optimize it) driving this "box on wheels" we otherwise love down the road, we probably should have considered another brand of vehicle. :)

OP
OP
daveprice7

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
You have two variables, safari mode or not and nice vs. Bad weather, and perhaps a third one, AC on or off.
You would need to have only one, safari mode or not, in order to consider it what causes the MPG difference.
Well, I have no AC, and "bad weather" is either "light rain" or even "might rain". I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make. Temps are about the same.

Sponsored

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I find that I drive a little slower in safari mode from the increased wind, so that may contribute to better MPG.

OP
OP
daveprice7

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
It's possible you found a causal factor in better MPG but it seems a bit counter intuitive to me that putting the soft top in Safari mode wouldn't cause drag (versus it being locked on) that would reduce MPG, not increase it.

Still more, it's hard to draw any conclusions like this from not only your relatively small sample testing, but testing that was done when the rig is new and settling in.
Just to clarify, by Safari, I mean top closed/fully locked down to the windshield, but sides/back removed.

I've been checking my tpms regularly, it's been within 1psi of 36. Driving same time of day/traffic conditions on the same roads (work commute).

Yes, very small sample set, and new engine and really just anecdotal at this point. I was really just throwing it out there to see if anyone else had noticed something similar.. Not that I'd pull the windows off just to save a couple bucks but it's an interesting perk, unless I'm just imagining it.

OP
OP
daveprice7

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
I find that I drive a little slower in safari mode from the increased wind, so that may contribute to better MPG.
I'm not sure that's it for me, I've got my tunes blasting and I'm singing along like an idiot having fun driving in the open air! I also pretty much drive on fairly busy one lane country roads/highways, so I'm usually just rocking the posted speeds.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
After driving my v6 for 5k miles in every conceivable configuration, I don't see any difference in mpgs. Maybe if I burned a full tank driving all highway at 70mph there might be a slight difference. In theory mpgs would be better if all dressed up and without any a/c based on aerodynamics...if the Wrangler had any aerodynamics.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Just like removing the tailgate on a truck improves mpg, removing the windows streamlines the aerodynamic profile. Whether or not that is significant enough to affect your indicated mpg as you’ve seen or if that’s due to any other factors is impossible to tell.

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
I'm gonna stick with this theory until I can run some controlled tests!
Try with, and without Driver Wearing Shades, with and without Dog in Passenger Seat.

You know, as a control group, to test cool factor in isolation.

OP
OP
daveprice7

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Try with, and without Driver Wearing Shades, with and without Dog in Passenger Seat.

You know, as a control group, to test cool factor in isolation.
Wait, you can drive these without shades? Never tried that...
Sponsored