Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I'm from the school of thought that believes headliners have their best use at keeping out heat when used in hard tops.

That said, lets assume noise reduction the goal. How effective do you think a soft top headliner might be at noise abatement on soft tops, where there's more noise (than a hard top) to control, or even on hard tops as a non-permanent noise reduction solution?

Thanks.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I'm from the school of thought that believes headliners have their best use at keeping out heat when used in hard tops.

That said, lets assume noise reduction the goal. How effective do you think a soft top headliner might be at noise abatement on soft tops, where there's more noise (than a hard top) to control, or even on hard tops as a non-permanent noise reduction solution?

Thanks.
I installed hothead liners + noico butyl sound deadener in my hardtop 2 months ago and the reduction in outside noise is marginal at best. However, they do look alot better and that's worth something. I dont know if I would spend $450 on them again....would be easier to simply paint the top black.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I installed hothead liners + noico butyl sound deadener in my hardtop 2 months ago and the reduction in outside noise is marginal at best. However, they do look alot better and that's worth something. I dont know if I would spend $450 on them again....would be easier to simply paint the top black.
Thanks.

I'm not sure if this leaves me convinced to not spend the money and try a DIY noise solution that would work for soft or hard top, or simply accept that a headliner of any variety isn't going to address this.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
With a soft top it would be very minimal, keep in mind that you still have the windows in and as the top stretches out with age or baking in the sun it loosens up the top just starts flapping

Also keep in mind that the top needs to food down and adding thickness could hinder how well it folds

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Thanks.
Do you have the premium soft top? It’s really not any louder than the hard top.

I think you’re trying to invent a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist. My 2dr premium top is very quiet. Quieter than our 2004 Honda Odyssey, in fact. I do lots of conference calls from the road and can hear and be heard with no issues.

Sponsored

Salmanilla

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue
I have a Standard Soft Top.. Is there a "noticable" difference between the Standard Soft Top and the Premium Soft Top?

I can't seem to find any comparison between the 2.

Sal

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Standard Soft Top.. Is there a "noticable" difference between the Standard Soft Top and the Premium Soft Top?

I can't seem to find any comparison between the 2.

Sal
Based solely by the issues posted on this forum, I’ll say that anecdotally, yes, there is a big difference between them. The premium is much thicker material and has a completely different frame and track system. There have been several posts about the standard top ripping and/or wearing through in spots. I have to believe the thinness will result in more noise and possiblly flapping. (Zero flapping with the premium top.)

Like the Alpine infotainment and LED upgrades, I think the premium top is 100% worth the extra scratch. (Especially if, like me, you have only a soft top.)

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392

I think you’re trying to invent a solution for a problem that doesn’t exist. My 2dr premium top is very quiet. Quieter than our 2004 Honda Odyssey, in fact. I do lots of conference calls from the road and can hear and be heard with no issues.

On my Jeep, the hardtop (with Mopar headliner) is considerably quieter than my premium soft top.

Maybe there is something wrong with mine or I did not install my soft top correctly. It is nowhere near as quiet as any fixed roof vehicle I have been in. With my hardtop, my Jeep (at highway speeds) is about as noisy as my Infiniti Q50 Red Sport with UHP summer tires. Just that in the Infiniti, tire noise dominates whereas in my Jeep, wind noise dominates.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned

Thanks for your thoughts and link. I have the premium soft top and do find road noise considerable greater in the soft than hard top.

Most of the time it doesn't bother me. But at highway speeds the soft top is a bit much in the Fall and Early Spring, at least for me, when the weather isn't conducive to taking it down as a perk if you will to tolerating the noise.

I'm going to take another look at Brandon's video you linked here.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for your thoughts and link. I have the premium soft top and do find road noise considerable greater in the soft than hard top.

Most of the time it doesn't bother me. But at highway speeds the soft top is a bit much in the Fall and Early Spring, at least for me, when the weather isn't conducive to taking it down as a perk if you will to tolerating the noise.

I'm going to take another look at Brandon's video you linked here.
I'd be interested to know if you get the same dB readings as in the video. Maybe soft top noise is like the steering and welds... variable.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I'd be interested to know if you get the same dB readings as in the video. Maybe soft top noise is like the steering and welds... variable.
You're right--I should take a sound meter (which I own) in both tops and let an objective and unbiased scale tell me if my mind is playing tricks on me--although I don't think so. Doing the 65 mph speed limit on the NJ Turnpike this weekend I could not have a conversation with my wife with the soft top on (and closed.)

Anyway..I switched for the (colder) season to the hard top yesterday. I'll test this in the Spring before I switch back.

99% of the time I'm not doing much above 50 mph: a speed where the noise of the soft top is manageable.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm bumping this thread in hopes of more input from users. I don't want to drop the money on dual tops if I don't find it necessary.

My other question is the difference in trunk accessibility between the two. Obviously opening the tailgate is the same for both, but how difficult is it to access the full trunk with the soft top? Does the entire rear window need to be removed? Is it a pain?

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
I'm bumping this thread in hopes of more input from users. I don't want to drop the money on dual tops if I don't find it necessary.

My other question is the difference in trunk accessibility between the two. Obviously opening the tailgate is the same for both, but how difficult is it to access the full trunk with the soft top? Does the entire rear window need to be removed? Is it a pain?
Regarding the soft-top....When I require access to the back for prolonged use I simply detach the rear window, bottom and sides, then flip the window up onto the roof. No need to slide it off completely.

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Regarding the soft-top....When I require access to the back for prolonged use I simply detach the rear window, bottom and sides, then flip the window up onto the roof. No need to slide it off completely.
That's what I was thinking. So is that a pain? I know it wasn't in prior/current Jeeps, but this might be one area where zippers are easier... assuming they work (rare).

Stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR & 2015 RR
Occupation
Civil Eng.
That's what I was thinking. So is that a pain? I know it wasn't in prior/current Jeeps, but this might be one area where zippers are easier... assuming they work (rare).
It's very simple
Sponsored