Soft top head bar issue (wind leak)

T.T.T

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jl 6spd, ‘01 Tj Sahara 5spd
Hey guys so I just bought a Jl and I noticed I have a wind leak right at the end of the head bar where it meats the seal over the windshield. On one side it’s right up on it, no leaks. On the drivers side it is on the seal but sits a hair farther back and that is for sure where the wind noise is coming through. Anybody know of a DIY I can do to make it fit closer/tighter on that end? Trying to avoid the dealership. Thanks
Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Hard top or soft top? Either way, remove the panel and re-install, they have some play in them... Soft top open it up and then re-latch and see if that helps

OP
OP
T.T.T

T.T.T

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soft top. I opened it up to the first setting a couple times and it latches back the same. I’m about to stick a piece of foam in it but hoping I can actually fix it.

OP
OP
T.T.T

T.T.T

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ll try some more

Buster86

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Production Operator
I’ll try some more
Let me know what you figure out. I have a small wind leak as well on the drivers side at the top. Mostly bad when on the highway.

Sponsored

Dansjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have it to on drivers side - lol I thought it was just normal - don't really hear it with radio on or windows down - since its doesn't leak I won't mess with it unless jeep has a fix for it.

OP
OP
T.T.T

T.T.T

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have it to on drivers side - lol I thought it was just normal - don't really hear it with radio on or windows down - since its doesn't leak I won't mess with it unless jeep has a fix for it.
I stuck a thin piece of foam in it that has adhesive on it and it’s silent.

OP
OP
T.T.T

T.T.T

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me know what you figure out. I have a small wind leak as well on the drivers side at the top. Mostly bad when on the highway.
Haven’t yet tried to adjust the head bar on the soft top ( might try loosening the screws and try) but I stuck a think squishy piece of foam which has adhesive on the backside of it onto the head bar above windshield where leak is. In between the top it gets flattened out but stays puffed up outside of it so it keeps it silent. I’ll post a pic of what I use when I get home.

User Banned

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Guitars & Drums
Are we talking where the soft top meets the windshield weather stripping? Is the foam rubber weather strip creased or kinked at all?

OP
OP
T.T.T

T.T.T

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes at the driver side corner. Weatherstripping looks good but you can see the top doesn’t go far enough on the driver side to seal at that corner. I’ll post a pic later when I get home.

Sponsored

Buster86

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Production Operator
yes at the driver side corner. Weatherstripping looks good but you can see the top doesn’t go far enough on the driver side to seal at that corner. I’ll post a pic later when I get home.
Thanks!

OP
OP
T.T.T

T.T.T

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E13FD284-E0CE-4CA9-995A-1DBCA6900C28.jpeg
DF12139D-8B65-4B6C-9421-40119A23C1D9.jpeg
Okay I apologize for being so late to this thread but here are the pictures. Works great. Could have cut it more flush but I just ripped it and stuck it on. Went to the dealer and it turns out they actually sell a kit for wind leaks on hardtops with this exact foam along with another similar foam. I’ll just ride like this until the soft top finally gives out and I buy a new one.

SteppJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
US Army
E13FD284-E0CE-4CA9-995A-1DBCA6900C28.jpeg
DF12139D-8B65-4B6C-9421-40119A23C1D9.jpeg
Okay I apologize for being so late to this thread but here are the pictures. Works great. Could have cut it more flush but I just ripped it and stuck it on. Went to the dealer and it turns out they actually sell a kit for wind leaks on hardtops with this exact foam along with another similar foam. I’ll just ride like this until the soft top finally gives out and I buy a new one.
I have the same issue with my 18 JLU on the driver side. My dealer said all Jeeps leak air be happy it is not water. But “they will have someone look at it” not sure how they would fix it. Other than yours mine is the only other JLU I have see this with. Have you tried taking it to the dealer? Has an actual fix been discovered other then the foam tape. @JeepCares

594D69F0-0724-4195-80E0-D83E8A6DFB2F.jpeg

4D3572EF-74D7-465A-83AE-8E8F2F4A6AEB.jpeg

OP
OP
T.T.T

T.T.T

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same issue with my 18 JLU on the driver side. My dealer said all Jeeps leak air be happy it is not water. But “they will have someone look at it” not sure how they would fix it. Other than yours mine is the only other JLU I have see this with. Have you tried taking it to the dealer? Has an actual fix been discovered other then the foam tape. @JeepCares

594D69F0-0724-4195-80E0-D83E8A6DFB2F.jpeg

4D3572EF-74D7-465A-83AE-8E8F2F4A6AEB.jpeg
I think the fix would be to have a whole new soft top along with the metal hardware that sits on the head bar. It’s not normal. I drove a rental and it didn’t leak. If anything test drive some other ones and point it out to the dealership. It’s annoying to go through the whole process with the dealership and that’s why I just fixed it with foam. Best of luck with everything.

SteppJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
US Army
I think the fix would be to have a whole new soft top along with the metal hardware that sits on the head bar. It’s not normal. I drove a rental and it didn’t leak. If anything test drive some other ones and point it out to the dealership. It’s annoying to go through the whole process with the dealership and that’s why I just fixed it with foam. Best of luck with everything.
@T.T.T i have an “appointment” for it on the 30th @JeepCares is involved and have a case number. Hopefully they are cooperative.
Sponsored