Soft top down all the way?

Danimalnutz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Mojito Rubicon 4dr Soft Top
Has anybody seen the boots that can be put on the soft top and do they really make a difference?
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
For us in Florida in the summer, I am afraid of being caught in the rain. I learned since the start of summer, 62+ days ago my city has had only had 11 days where it did not rain. It is so easy with the track system on the JL however, can’t wait for drier days.
Funny Zach: I asked here a while's back what all the interest in the Bestop Sunrider (not to be confused with Sunrider position on the soft top) that replaces the hard top Freedom Panels was all about.

Several Floridians wrote that driving into a Florida thunderstorm, little time to pull over and close the soft top can exists, whereas the Besttop Sunrider can be closed from within the rig.

Unfortunately Bestop won't have the JL version of this out for a while.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I dont think people want to do the extra steps honestly. I have a soft top and in fact, if I was going to do the extra steps, I would just remove it completely.

Just my 2 cents.
Agreed Dustin. I think money can be made in designing entirely collapsible soft windows, say for the summer, that permit the soft top to come down to its lowest position without having to remove these 3 windows beforehand, nor reinstall them afterwards.

For the side windows, rather than tucking them under the outside of the lip with somewhat inflexible strip MOPARs designed, maybe they could attach to the hard top tub top screw holes---it's not like you're going to need to remove the windows frequently now---and the connection could be with some fast release hardware with a bolt on it's South side to screw into the existing tub holes. Stretchy fabric might help here.

The inflexibile back corners of the rear window seem to be the only thing standing in the way of its being able to collapse.

Of my Wrangler projects, one backburned one was to create summer windows out of thick, but sufficiently translucent plastic sheathing, with similar black sheathing plastic welded to it to simulate the black parts of the rear soft windows (at least on the 2 non-tan soft top options.)

If the aftermarket is wise, the tops they make to make the JL into a power convertible will also be sold without the electric to allow owners to put the top all the way down without temporary rear 3 window removal/installation.

PunknZ

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Funny Zach: I asked here a while's back what all the interest in the Bestop Sunrider (not to be confused with Sunrider position on the soft top) that replaces the hard top Freedom Panels was all about.

Several Floridians wrote that driving into a Florida thunderstorm, little time to pull over and close the soft top can exists, whereas the Besttop Sunrider can be closed from within the rig.

Unfortunately Bestop won't have the JL version of this out for a while.
I was caught in a storm on the interstate on the way home from the dealership with the top in Sunrider position, would’ve loved to be able to put it up from inside!

outlanderbz

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
My soft top doesn't block anything that the spare tire or rear headrests don't already block...
yep, I also found that if I take the one flap and tuck it under the soft top header when it is folded down it really helps with the wind blowing that flap up and blocking some of the rear view. There are different ways you can tuck and fold the material to help. Taking down those arms that lock into the top makes zero sense to me.

People reference that video but unless I am wrong the reason to do that is when you are removing the soft top to put your hard top on, not as a feature of using the soft top daily during the summer.

I wish it didnt bounce so much and yes I have it locked, still bounces.
Sponsored