Sponsored

Soft top down all the way?

Jeeper18426572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler 2 Door Tank Green
4 minutes through this video you see the people bringing the soft top all the way down like all of the previous generations of Jeeps. How come I see nobody do this? Is it because not many people know about this feature or is it some other thing I don’t know about?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeper18426572

Jeeper18426572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler 2 Door Tank Green
I’ve heard that the metal rod scratches the plastic but couldn’t you put something there to stop that?

dccurtis

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old Jeeps: 93 YJ, 01 Sahara, 03 Rubicon. Current 18 JLU Sahara
My guess as to why you don’t see most people do this is because it’s more steps for minimal change in appearance. If it would let the soft top itself be more flush with the body some how, I would definitely give this a try. But to my eye it looks almost identical and adds a little more work to operate. I’m also curious if there’s any additional noise with the poles banging together or into the roll bar.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I dont think people want to do the extra steps honestly. I have a soft top and in fact, if I was going to do the extra steps, I would just remove it completely.

Just my 2 cents.

PunknZ

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
For us in Florida in the summer, I am afraid of being caught in the rain. I learned since the start of summer, 62+ days ago my city has had only had 11 days where it did not rain. It is so easy with the track system on the JL however, can’t wait for drier days.

Sponsored

Cwelroy

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sahara
When I’m going to be out for a while on a nice day or have a long drive, I’ll put it all the way down. When I go back and forth from work and home, I just go with the Sunrider look and keep the windows in to save time putting it back together just for it to sit in the parking lot all day.

The wires in the back that connect to the rear defroster and wiper also can get stuck if it is unhooked for a tighter fit in the rear cargo area. Broke the little piece that holds them in the very first time, but its not an essential piece. Just keep that in mind.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Are you all talking about this when the rear window is attached? My rear window stays in my garage most of the time. If I have it with me, I detach it and just lay it across the cargo area. I much prefer the top to be all the way back over the sunrider where it is just flipped back, especially when on the highway. The extra step is about 10 seconds.

As for the hard top electrical/washer plug, I pulled it off and put a sock over it, so it just flops around, but doesn't scratch the plastic trim. That way, the top doesn't get caught on it, so easy up, easy down.

Honestly, this amazing soft top is one of my favorite features on the JL. I got caught in a torrential downpoor with the soft top down and front doors off. I quickly folded it up, jumped back in, and drove. The rain soaked me because it came through from the side, but amazingly, hardly any water got into the cargo area. I was shocked. That safari top does a pretty good job of making airflow cause the runoff to go just far enough not to come in. Not sure they intended that, but it work fairly well.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I had hopes that removing the rods would allow the top to sit much more flat than it does with them attached. Unfortunately it makes very little difference, and then you have two rods flopping around(I know this could be easily remedied, but the change in softop height without them attached is not worth the extra steps.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
When you drop it all the way down you still have to secure the loose rod ends and the top doesn't really get any flatter. It still looks bunched up and still blocks your rear view, so it doesn't really buy you any advantages. Looking at that photo, the top is almost level with the roll bars.

Sponsored

RavenJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito 2016 Granite Backcountry 2007 Camp Jeep
So I'm actually pretty happy to see that I can take the rods down. I run my JKU naked from Junw to September. I have 4 bestop soft doors that ride in the trunk and a soft too so If I get caught in the rain or I'm heading home late and it's cold I can button her back up pretty quickly and easily. I also run the Jeeptop boot bag because 1) I like the cleaner look, and 2) I could store my rear window in it with the soft top. Because of all that I frequently stand my top up on it's arms so it's out of rt he way to put stuff in the trunk. Especially handy for all the time Ivspebd at the beach loading coolers, boogie boards etc in there without having to work around the top. I'm thrilled to see U should still be able to do that with the JL top. I'll miss being able to store the window in the boot, that was a nice solution but it doesn't look doable with the new "glide" system Waiting on my JL order to be delivered.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My soft top doesn't block anything that the spare tire or rear headrests don't already block...
+1. It isn't that bad. I like it better than the thing flapping around when highway driving in the Sunrider position. Fully folded down locks, too. In the Sunrider position, Jeep still recommends velcro straps, although I have a hard time imagining it would blow open or upward.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
The 2 Door soft top doesn't detach and go flat like that unfortunately.
I found that out the hard way. If one try's to detach the roof rods from the rail top it will fly up and out. I suspects the release was placed there on the 2 door only to facilitate assembly. All the video's show its removal for 4 doors, which is designed differently. The main release mechanism for the 4 door is on the inside, on the 2 door it's on the outside. In any case, the video's should at least mention this with respect to the 2 door soft top
Sponsored