Soft Top Damage Warranty ?

BlueCruzer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Hi All. I spent the summer with the top down in the trunk. While putting the top back up for a fall trip, I saw that the soft top had a small hole in it above the rear passenger seat. :mad: I'm careful to watch for pinch points on the canvas when I fold it down but in this case there was an internal bracket that lines up with where the hole is. I can see additional wear was happening there too.

Anyone have any experience with this and how the warranty was handled to repair it?
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Yes, but Bestop is not going to warranty an OEM part.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Yes, but Bestop is not going to warranty an OEM part.
That's an entirely true statement but one, as a Bestop fan, but someone not financially connected to them, I think earns itself some explanation in fairness to Bestop--if not stuff that you don't already know @OldGuyNewJeep (I bet you do) readers may not know/appreciate.

Bestop makes the premium and basic soft tops for FCA, but FCA services, owns (prior to your purchase) them, stocks parts for them and replaces them.

Bestop doesn't sell them directly (these 2 OEM tops that is) but has always been helpful to me when telling me, at least, how to best go about getting issues resolved with FCA concerning these products, their replacement parts being MOPAR branded.

Perhaps needless to say, but not needless to appreciate, motor vehicles, for all their manufacturer home grown innovations, feature parts that are (in this is not necessarily a bad thing and can be a very good thing) tremendously outsourced for various components, to manufacturers that specialize in such things.

In this regard Bestop is no different except that maybe its relationship with FCA is better well known by the public given that their products are in full view and not in the engine bay or undercarriage, sold separately in differently flavors from OEM offerings, and routinely discussed by Wrangler owners/fans with all sorts of specific areas of interest (e.g. off roading/creature comforts/overlanding, etc.)

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
For small hole - fill it in with black weather strip adhesive.
Its flexible and blends in.
Align tip of the tube with a hole, holding from underside, with slight tension (push up) so hole puckers up. Squize a bit out so adhesive comes thru the hole and pull tube back down.

Wipe off any overage with your finger

16025360149343838016724028853534.jpg

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Hi All. I spent the summer with the top down in the trunk. While putting the top back up for a fall trip, I saw that the soft top had a small hole in it above the rear passenger seat. :mad: I'm careful to watch for pinch points on the canvas when I fold it down but in this case there was an internal bracket that lines up with where the hole is. I can see additional wear was happening there too.

Anyone have any experience with this and how the warranty was handled to repair it?
I had my 2019 premium (factory) top replaced under warranty, I think it had around 10 months/8k miles at the time. I had a small hole start to develop above my drivers door. Dealer had no problems with my claim, they provided a rental (mini-van/mega-fun) for the two days it took them to replace it. They told me they just replace the fabric, not the whole top, which surprised me. They said it was a 5-6 hour job, they had my Jeep for 2 nights.
Sponsored