Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
No one ever that those damn windshield straps! lol

Also curious how secure the soft top is against thieves? Looks way to easy to pry open a corner to grab anything not locked up.
Any soft top is vulnerable to thieves and they don't need to pry it open - any old pocket knife will do.
Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
How cute. I think my wife has that same one in her tool box. :cwl:
I was googling for something even smaller. You don't need a high powered drill to remove 4 tiny bolts. It's meant to conveniently stay in the glove box for whenever you feel like putting the windshield down

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Soft top anti-cut feature:

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
Jeep Hack: Keep one of these in your glove box to unbolt the windshield in less than 60 seconds
71CB3HT2dcL._SL1500_.jpg
Then, at the 61 second point you watch in horror as the wipers get bent to hell because you forgot the 15mm wiper bolts....lol.

Sponsored

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
General soft top questions ... for cold weather folks.

Do any of you switch from soft to hard top in the fall, then back in the spring? Does it become a seasonal annoyance?

How about keeping a soft top on permanently? (Assuming it is garage kept overnight)... Does the winter weather ruin it? How long should I expect it to last? Does it retain heat reasonably well, or is there a constant chill even with the heat cranking?

Phynal

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU HR
General soft top questions ... for cold weather folks.

Do any of you switch from soft to hard top in the fall, then back in the spring? Does it become a seasonal annoyance?

How about keeping a soft top on permanently? (Assuming it is garage kept overnight)... Does the winter weather ruin it? How long should I expect it to last? Does it retain heat reasonably well, or is there a constant chill even with the heat cranking?
I switch between the hard and soft top. Too be honest, the soft top would be fine year round. The heater in my JK could keep me comfy with no issues at all.

But there are concerns. Cold weather makes the windows brittle. You could punch through them on really cold mornings. This is a big issue if you don't have a garage. If you do have a garage, the biggest concern is salt. Salt in the fabric and on the windows. Driving down the interstate covers everything.

I use my hardtop in winter mainly because it has a rear washer and wiper, and all the windows clean easy at any gas station without scratches or breaking. Then in Spring I'm back to the soft top.

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I do wish there was a glass window soft top option. Nobody likes to deal with those plastic windows in below freezing weather conditions

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
Does the 2018 have a good place to stow the back and side windows on the soft-top?

In this video, they're just kind of throwing them in the back

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Sponsored

SeaJay

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 CJ5, 1976 CJ5, 1999 TJ, 2012 JK
Don't really care for the look of this new soft top... the rear looks like a baby diaper with a load in it.... and that's not good.

drshaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys 6MT, 2015 Ody
I think one of the JL Rubicons from the LA Show had the hard top with a factory supported/OEM roof rack. Which is sweet.
Doesn't do anything for you with the soft top (I imagine the cage-type racks would be the only option with the soft top, in lieu of a trailer).

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I think one of the JL Rubicons from the LA Show had the hard top with a factory supported/OEM roof rack. Which is sweet.
Doesn't do anything for you with the soft top (I imagine the cage-type racks would be the only option with the soft top, in lieu of a trailer).
Anyone have pictures of this? A roof rack will be a requirement for me. Kayaks, wood, etc.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Does the 2018 have a good place to stow the back and side windows on the soft-top?

In this video, they're just kind of throwing them in the back
I use a window roll for my JK windows. I'd imagine they'd be available for the JL too. But no, no real storage location. Just either in the back or at home.
Sponsored