Crbrockett

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hello,

I just purchased a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon w/ sky top. I am looking for suggestions for which soft surf racks fit the best? This maybe a redundant question but just Have no clue which soft racks to get? Thanks in advance! This Jeep is pretty awesome!
upload_2019-8-31_15-30-59.jpeg

Chris
Sponsored

yardsale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
In the same boat as the OP. Might just have to put the boards inside. Dropping 2K on a Gobi rack that is 8 inches tall to clear the powertop does not seem like a good option.

Never been a fan of soft racks.

Interested to hear some suggestions.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Your lack of ability to drill through your top, independent of whether that would be something you'd want to do even if you had a hard top, leave you, IMHO, looking at 3 classes of roof racks.

1) The first including MOPAR's rails that attach to the rain gutters. I am NOT certain if they, which work on the hard top, also work on the power top. Still more, even if they do, I don't know how high they ride such that opening the power top would be doable while these are installed, and finally, they are usually limited in the weight they'll carry--although surf boards should be fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2) The second class include roof racks that are compatible with a soft top and connect to places on the hood cowl in front, and near the bumper in back. These are apt to be more expensive, and I would consider one that connects to the body, NOT the frame, especially if you plan on going off road.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-roof-rack-list-jl-jlu-wrangler.2665/

A new entry, by far the most expensive is the the LOD Offroad rack.

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/2018-jeep-jl-products/roof-rack.html

I've probably paid less for some vehicles than this costs but the ability for the rack to fully cantilever is nice, if not necessary for Power Top Owners (it's designed to be able to open a soft top.) I'm told it will clear the Power Top folds, do check with the manufacturer though.

I love this design but I'm concerned that the drawer slides that make this work are exposed to mud and sand, particular from the off roader. The grease that makes these slides glide smooth attracts such mechanism clogging gunk like flies to poop and I fear will gum them up.

Given the Wrangler's front part of the rack's connection to the body, any rack that connects to a rear portion that isn't also attached to the body risks torsional forces as the Wrangler reacts to the terrain.

Gobi racks is another Cadillac of the industry. https://www.gobiracks.com/ I believe they have, or are soon to release a rack that allows the Power top to open. I believe their base model for the JL might not.

~~~~~~~~~~~

3) The last option is rear and possibly front hitch specific.

https://darbyindustries.com/product/extend-a-truck/

9fa132d1a0d26c29994f16c12ab19548--jeep-wrangler-forum-jeep-stuff.jpg

Some manufacturers sell front windshield supports so you don't have to buy two of these and install a front hitch.

ef690987bfbf4a11b1c4777023875b1c--rack-toys.jpg

While the Extend-a-Truck and others like it often have the ability to adjust their height, without one also in a front hitch I can't speak to whether they can be used and also allow the Power Top to open.

LaurenLeigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0 Turbo Bikini Pearl; 2009 JK Sahara
Nice choices! I have a Bikini unlimited with the sky top too and looove it. I’m also a kayaker and paddle boarder so I’m looking into this too. I haven’t done much research on it yet, but I read briefly somewhere that a Yakima system may work if the towers extend high enough. https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/Jeep/Wrangler/Yakima/Y00101.html I’ll be researching extensively down the road and this is something I’ll definitely be looking into.

Jeep#6

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe HYDRO; 24 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales in a Jeep
I don’t have sky top, but do use removable FRS soft rack. Since you strap it around hard top and then inside,I would think it should work. Unfortunately it is pretty noisy above 45mph...only had it adjusted perfect once in 20x...

Sponsored

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
I just wish they made the gobi out of aluminum to cut the weight of that monster down and so you wouldn’t have to worry about rust.

yardsale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
That windshield light bar rack, coupled with a single soft rack behind it might work. And would be safer than two soft racks since the front rack would hold the board securely.
Sponsored