Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I stuck a Warn soft shackle on the end of my winch, and I’ve been running it this way for over a year with no issues. I think it looks nice and was a hell of a lot cheaper than a flatlink or upgraded hook.

I also think it’s safer to do this. If you’ve got a strap wrapped around a tree connected to a hook or flatlink and that strap fails… well you’ve got a nice 5lb bullet headed your way! Using a soft shackle greatly reduces that risk (at least in my mind).

Wondering if anyone else runs a soft shackle at the end of their winch instead of a hook or flatlink? Is this a bad idea?

90754018-DF94-4835-B1F4-0D4034E96BDE.jpeg
Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I stuck a Warn soft shackle on the end of my winch, and I’ve been running it this way for over a year with no issues. I think it looks nice and was a hell of a lot cheaper than a flatlink or upgraded hook.

I also think it’s safer to do this. If you’ve got a strap wrapped around a tree connected to a hook or flatlink and that strap fails… well you’ve got a nice 5lb bullet headed your way! Using a soft shackle greatly reduces that risk (at least in my mind).

Wondering if anyone else runs a soft shackle at the end of their winch instead of a hook or flatlink? Is this a bad idea?
That's what I'm planning on doing, safer and cheaper, you can't often say that. Maybe someone will explain why it's a bad idea.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have a flatline on the end of my synthetic and been considering other options. Thinking also that understanding the weak link(s) and which way the projectile will go for the likeliest failure is important.

Reactions: J0E

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I have a flatline on the end of my synthetic and been considering other options. Thinking also that understanding the weak link(s) and which way the projectile will go for the likeliest failure is important.
My SS have 56,000 LBS Breaking Strength* & Working load limit (WLL): 17,000 lbs

*: later it says 43K lbs.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I've invested in two soft shackles and tried one out 'for fun'. Was impressed with how they work. Can't say I'm liking the idea of it being exposed to the elements so for now they sit in my recovery kit inside the Jeep.

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I've invested in two soft shackles and tried one out 'for fun'. Was impressed with how they work. Can't say I'm liking the idea of it being exposed to the elements so for now they sit in my recovery kit inside the Jeep.
per advert:
Soft shackles are made of Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Fiber (UHMWPE) with 43,000 lbs breaking strength.

Good point, UV's break down UHMWPE. I think I'll keep them in the Jeep.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
https://bleepinjeep.com/product/freedomline/
This is the 1st one I had seen, but there are now others on the market. Instead of an eye on the end, the winch line is literally terminated in a soft shackle. Interesting idea for sure. I'm not too concerned as the line itself sees way more abuse being mounted on the jeep than the tree saver and everyone I've ever broken myself or seen break happens in that first few feet that gets all the exposure. Beyond that the winch thimble isn't all that heavy and I do everything I can to make sure the pull isn't directly in line with the driver if they need to be in the vehicle and use a winch blanket/floor mat/sweatshirt/ whatever to insure the thing doesn't projectile too far.

OP
OP
yarmo

yarmo

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That makes sense about the UV issue. Only thing I’d say to that is the only heavily exposed part is the knot itself since my winch is enclosed in my bumper. But I could still see some light getting in.

I have seen this fairlead from Dirt Lifestyle that’s built to hold your winch line end by itself. Looks cool but I felt the soft shackle by itself was just as efficient.
Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Shackle On A Winch Line? 1669994908302

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Isn't the whole point of a synthetic line vs metal line is that it doesn't collect/store tension, so if it breaks, it pretty much just drops to the ground, as opposed to whipping back?

(No sarcasm intended, I'm just getting into recovery gear, so it's an honest question)

OP
OP
yarmo

yarmo

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't the whole point of a synthetic line vs metal line is that it doesn't collect/store tension, so if it breaks, it pretty much just drops to the ground, as opposed to whipping back?

(No sarcasm intended, I'm just getting into recovery gear, so it's an honest question)
A snapped synthetic line can hurt someone; a snapped steel line can kill someone.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

Jeep Wrangler JL Soft Shackle On A Winch Line? 1669994908302
I was planning on tossing my flatlink. Flatlinks are just a way for a CNC mill owner to make the payments on it. It's also an attractive nuisance for the scummy types that would cut your winch line to take a pretty colored machined part they know not how to use.

I'm planning on keeping a steel thimble on the end of the winch rope, so the bend radius on the end doesn't go below the minimum. I watched some testing and it seems that it matters a bunch if the radius is too small. So you still have a metal object on the end of the winch rope which could become a projectile. Any kind of line damper or a snag line should mitigate the relatively low energy hazard.

I also have some raw Samson Amsteel to make up some soft shackles and make a 100ft winch extension with, adding to the few storebought soft shackles I already have (can't have too many). I'm sitting here looking at the rope and thimbles now, wondering if I should do it today.

But yeah, good idea to lose the flatlink, IMO.

OP
OP
yarmo

yarmo

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I was planning on tossing my flatlink. Flatlinks are just a way for a CNC mill owner to make the payments on it. It's also an attractive nuisance for the scummy types that would cut your winch line to take a pretty colored machined part they know not how to use.

I'm planning on keeping a steel thimble on the end of the winch rope, so the bend radius on the end doesn't go below the minimum. I watched some testing and it seems that it matters a bunch if the radius is too small. So you still have a metal object on the end of the winch rope which could become a projectile. Any kind of line damper or a snag line should mitigate the relatively low energy hazard.

I also have some raw Samson Amsteel to make up some soft shackles and make a 100ft winch extension with, adding to the few storebought soft shackles I already have (can't have too many). I'm sitting here looking at the rope and thimbles now, wondering if I should do it today.

But yeah, good idea to lose the flatlink, IMO.
Really the thimble makes that big of a difference? I’ve been running without one… Wouldn’t that be an issue using soft shackles at any time then since they don’t have thimbles? How is that different?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
per advert:
Soft shackles are made of Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene Fiber (UHMWPE) with 43,000 lbs breaking strength.

Good point, UV's break down UHMWPE. I think I'll keep them in the Jeep.
I wouldnt worry about UV. Worry about dirt.