Socket set recommendations

JIOWAJEEP

First Name
Iowa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler willys
Planning to buy socket set, Impact drill, and any other tools.
Please suggest any, new bee here.
I am planning to do pretty basic mods.
Installing big boy seat extenders, rare seat recliner kit, Garage door opener switch inside dash... Taking the doors off , top off .. kind of stuff.
Sponsored

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Have a ton of Snap-on, Mac and Matco tools and also some disposable tools from Harbor Freight. Been buying quite a bit from Tekton lately and been very impressed with the quality and cost much less money than the tools off the tool truck..
https://www.tekton.com/

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Those seat recliner kits are hard to find, I'm told. :giggle:

OP
OP
JIOWAJEEP

JIOWAJEEP

First Name
Iowa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler willys

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
If you're a professional, look at some of the tool truck stuff but you probably already know that. If you're in your garage husky from home depot makes great sets and on sale during christmas for reasonable prices. I am also. a fan of their high tooth count ratchets. I've installed 4 lift kits on different jeeps using the husky and harbor freights and then supplementing with tekton online for things like crowsfoot wrenches and torque wrenches and they've yet to let me down.

For power impacts, red, yellow, blue, orange etc all have fairly equal items so just pick your favorite or what you already have batteries for. Rigid from home depot with the lifetime warranty is a solid set again from home depot with a lifetime warranty on the tools and the batteries and is made by milwaukee so its not just a random brand.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JIOWAJEEP

JIOWAJEEP

First Name
Iowa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler willys
If you're a professional, look at some of the tool truck stuff but you probably already know that. If you're in your garage husky from home depot makes great sets and on sale during christmas for reasonable prices. I am also. a fan of their high tooth count ratchets. I've installed 4 lift kits on different jeeps using the husky and harbor freights and then supplementing with tekton online for things like crowsfoot wrenches and torque wrenches and they've yet to let me down.

For power impacts, red, yellow, blue, orange etc all have fairly equal items so just pick your favorite or what you already have batteries for. Rigid from home depot with the lifetime warranty is a solid set again from home depot with a lifetime warranty on the tools and the batteries and is made by milwaukee so its not just a random brand.
Any socket set recommendations?

Bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Sahara 4xe
Any socket set recommendations?
I grabbed one of these for use on impacts: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...ct-Socket-Set-11-Piece-H2DMMI11PCSR/203559463

and then supplemented with this for 99 bucks: https://tinyurl.com/2s4zwn9r

Also grab some adjustable wrenches to fill in gaps, some wobble sockets, and a breaker bar:
https://tinyurl.com/yyeyw622

For Impacts, I use dewalt, but if i was going to do it again i'd go rigid right now. The torque test channel on YT basically found the current crop of rigid are more or less equal to milwaukees for less money and if bought from home depot, a lifetime warranty.
Between those tools will be able to access almost any bolt/nut you need on the vehicle besides some of the crazier sizes like the pitman arm nut at 43mm.

Now is a great time to buy hand tools with the black friday/holiday special sets still out. I will never claim these are the equal of snap ons or the tool trucks, but I can vouch that they have lasted me for quite awhile and still function just fine. Plus they have a lifetime warranty from home depot so, no they may not be the best but they will get the job done just as well a s the more expensive stuff and you wont feel bad when you lose a socket

OP
OP
JIOWAJEEP

JIOWAJEEP

First Name
Iowa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler willys
I grabbed one of these for use on impacts: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...ct-Socket-Set-11-Piece-H2DMMI11PCSR/203559463

and then supplemented with this for 99 bucks: https://tinyurl.com/2s4zwn9r

Also grab some adjustable wrenches to fill in gaps, some wobble sockets, and a breaker bar:
https://tinyurl.com/yyeyw622

For Impacts, I use dewalt, but if i was going to do it again i'd go rigid right now. The torque test channel on YT basically found the current crop of rigid are more or less equal to milwaukees for less money and if bought from home depot, a lifetime warranty.
Between those tools will be able to access almost any bolt/nut you need on the vehicle besides some of the crazier sizes like the pitman arm nut at 43mm.

Now is a great time to buy hand tools with the black friday/holiday special sets still out. I will never claim these are the equal of snap ons or the tool trucks, but I can vouch that they have lasted me for quite awhile and still function just fine. Plus they have a lifetime warranty from home depot so, no they may not be the best but they will get the job done just as well a s the more expensive stuff and you wont feel bad when you lose a socket
This is graet !!
Jeep Wrangler JL Socket set recommendations 1639679879907
placing an order

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
Although the brand recommendations everyone has given are great, I think OP might be asking what to look for in a socket set, not necessarily what brand.

OP, as you're in North America you'll need both metric and standard (imperial) sockets. Getting a set of deep sockets as well will be beneficial. You might be able to get away with the drive size being 3/8", though some bigger stuff on your Jeep might require 1/2".

My recommendation is for you to visit a local pawn shop. Don't worry about brands, just look for the biggest set you can find/afford.

I'm not sure what tools you already have, but in addition to your socket set I would recommend getting a set of wrenches (both metric and imperial), set of screw drivers, set of pliers, tape measure, hammer, tin snips, vice grips, trim removal tools, allan keys, and safety glasses.

I've found a gear puller can be handy when you're in need of a creative solution to get out of trouble. It's not a must, though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JIOWAJEEP

JIOWAJEEP

First Name
Iowa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler willys
Although the brand recommendations everyone has given are great, I think OP might be asking what to look for in a socket set, not necessarily what brand.

OP, as you're in North America you'll need both metric and standard (imperial) sockets. Getting a set of deep sockets as well will be beneficial. You might be able to get away with the drive size being 3/8", though some bigger stuff on your Jeep might require 1/2".

My recommendation is for you to visit a local pawn shop. Don't worry about brands, just look for the biggest set you can find/afford.

I'm not sure what tools you already have, but in addition to your socket set I would recommend getting a set of wrenches (both metric and imperial), set of screw drivers, set of pliers, tape measure, hammer, tin snips, vice grips, trim removal tools, allan keys, and safety glasses.

I've found a gear puller can be handy when you're in need of a creative solution to get out of trouble. It's not a must, though.
Perfect thank you !!

MandrewSD

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392
Planning to buy socket set, Impact drill, and any other tools.
Please suggest any, new bee here.
I am planning to do pretty basic mods.
Installing big boy seat extenders, rare seat recliner kit, Garage door opener switch inside dash... Taking the doors off , top off .. kind of stuff.
Welcome...this is how it starts and only gets better from here!!

I agree with Tekton and own both Tekton and Husky. The main reason I went Tekton was to fill in the "gaps" in the Husky sets where they give you 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 15...and missing sizes (even if rare) were driving my OCD nuts. They have sets that you can start with and add as you go. based on what you say you are doing I'd suggest:
  • 1/4 inch drive from 4-15mm and 5/32-9/16
  • 3/8 inch drive from 6-24mm and 1/4 to 1 inch
  • 1/2 inch drive IMPACT 8-32mm and 5/16 to 1-1/4
You'll obviously want a ratchet and a couple extensions for each drive size. Based on your budget start with some sets and add special sizes and different drive tools as you learn.

Here is where I wound up...and this doesn't include the drawers of impacts and other specialty sockets :rock:
Jeep Wrangler JL Socket set recommendations 1639685281132

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I like the buy once, cry once methodology when purchasing tools.

My favorites:

Snap-On: Ratchets, sockets, wrenches, etc.
SK: Impact sockets (because they are cheaper than Snap-On)
Armstrong: Ratchets, sockets, wrenches, etc.
CDI: Torque wrenches (I buy used on eBay for cheap, then send them for $44 service & calibration)

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
Rigid from The Home Depot with the lifetime warranty is a solid set again from home depot with a lifetime warranty on the tools and the batteries and is made by Milwaukee so its not just a random brand.
Ridgid is indeed made by TTI, the parent company that makes Milwaukee, Ryobi, Homelite, and others. As much as these brands are in the same family, they aren't all the same quality.

Ryobi is the number one selling cordless tool in the world, due more to retail price-point than to quality. In fact, it is sold primarily for the price-conscious DIYer.

As @Bleda2002 mentioned, Ridgid has the lifetime warranty, and that alone is a GREAT reason to buy the label. Better quality than Ryobi, but not quite as good as Milwaukee. Heavy DIYer targeted.

And finally Milwaukee is the top-of-the-line brand geared towards the professional. Amazing quality, but most DIYers will not spend the money.

All three brands owned by the same company but built to different standards and target customers. I wish they all took the same battery, Haha.

Signed,
a Jeeper than has some inside knowledge about TTI tools...as well as their competitors.
Sponsored

Last edited: