Sponsored

Socal shops not loving Metal Cloak GC....

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
A couple big name shops in Socal are telling me that MC joints fail early and to go with TF or RK instead because they have a lifetime warranty.
The pushing of Rock Krawler and Tera Flex have me double guessing all the killer reports on this forum about MC.
Do the shops have an agenda to push their "house brand" or are the MC Dura joints crappola?
Shops are MC certified installers as well.
The MC joints were one of items I was hot on, now I am not so sure.
Anyone experience this? Maybe it's Socal thing??

I was specially asking them about the 3.5 Game Changer.
Sponsored

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
A couple big name shops in Socal are telling me that MC joints fail early and to go with TF or RK instead because they have a lifetime warranty.
The pushing of Rock Krawler and Tera Flex have me double guess all the killer reports on this forum about MC.
Do the shops have an agenda to push their "house brand" or are the MC Dura joints crappola?
Shops are MC certified installers as well.
The MC joints were one of items I was hot on, now I am not so sure.
Anyone experience this? Maybe it's Socal thing??

I was specially asking them about the 3.5 Game Changer.
These "Big Name" shops are 100% incorrect.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
When I wanted some advice about a Metalcloak lift I searched out and spoke with a couple Metalcloak Gold Level installers. The Metalcloak installers are the shops that seem to want to help potential Metalcloak customers with helpful advice about Metalcloak products.

I would be hesitant to rely on a shop that somehow conveyed a misrepresentation of any manufacturers' warranty:

from https://rockkrawler.com/warranty/
"What is Not Covered: Bushings, hardware, brake lines, joints, ..."

form https://teraflex.com/policies
"All TeraLow products are warrantied to be free of defects in material and workmanship..."

My guess is if you really have a legitimate experience where a joint fails prematurely due to bad manufacture that you will find all three of these companies will do their best to help you out.

If and when you simply wear out the joints you will find that all three of these companies will sell you replacement joints so you can continue to enjoy your Jeep.

If you like a particlaur shop, buy what they want to sell. If you like a particular lift kit, buy from a shop that wants to sell it.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
I had a 2.5” Game Changer light on my JKU and I loved it. If I decide to lift my JLU I’ll go with the Game Changer again.
I know a lot of people happy with their Rock Krawler lifts, so I don’t think you can go wrong with them either.
those are the only 2 lifts I would consider.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I have no personal experience but you can find plenty of people who have had perfectly good joints fail at some point. Machines wear out at some point, depending on use, maintenance, and time/mileage. And I've never read on here people complain about MC joints, though I've seen people replace the bushings (Litebrite is one example).
All of those reputable lifts will wear out eventually, and you can replace the bushings in the MC and RK lifts (not sure about TF, too lazy to google).

Sponsored

OP
OP
jack bauer

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
When I wanted some advice about a Metalcloak lift I searched out and spoke with a couple Metalcloak Gold Level installers. The Metaalcloak installers are the shops that seem to want to help potential Metalcloak customers with helpful advice about Metalcloak products.

I would be hesitant to rely on a shop that somehow conveyed a misrepresentation of any manufacturers' warranty:

from https://rockkrawler.com/warranty/
"What is Not Covered: Bushings, hardware, brake lines, joints, ..."

form https://teraflex.com/policies
"All TeraLow products are warrantied to be free of defects in material and workmanship..."

My guess is if you really have a legitimate experience where a joint fails prematurely due to bad manufacture that you will find all three of these companies will do their best to help you out.

If and when you simply wear out the joints you will find that all three of these companies will sell you replacement joints so you can continue to enjoy your Jeep.

If you like a particlaur shop, buy what they want to sell. If you like a particular lift kit, buy from a shop that wants to sell it.

Good luck.
Thanks.
I reached out to a Gold Standard shop and while they are not as close to me I think it will be worth the drive to have a shop install that primarily deals with MC lifts.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have no personal experience but you can find plenty of people who have had perfectly good joints fail at some point. Machines wear out at some point, depending on use, maintenance, and time/mileage. And I've never read on here people complain about MC joints, though I've seen people replace the bushings (Litebrite is one example).
All of those reputable lifts will wear out eventually, and you can replace the bushings in the MC and RK lifts (not sure about TF, too lazy to google).
I bought my set of MC control arms used here in the member marketplace. The bushings were pretty much shot and needed to be replaced. It was a simple matter to contact Metal Cloak and buy a new set. I changed all of them in my garage using a small vise and a pair of snap ring pliers. Easy peasy.

OP
OP
jack bauer

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
All true.
Will never wheel as hard as LB though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jack bauer

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
I bought my set of MC control arms used here in the member marketplace. The bushings were pretty much shot and needed to be replaced. It was a simple matter to contact Metal Cloak and buy a new set. I changed all of them in my garage using a small vise and a pair of snap ring pliers. Easy peasy.
I do like the idea of replacing the whole thing rather than rebuilding.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
There is a benefit to rebuilding and almost zero downside.

When you or your shop finishes the bushing remove and replace procedure the arms will still be the exact length you have been driving on, so you simply reinstall the arms and everything will be in good alignment.

Unless you have specifically bent an arm on a particularly nasty rock, or mutilated an end piece by scraping most of the perimeter into metal dust, the arms will not experience much in the way of wear and tear. They do technically have a fatigue life, but they are all so overbuilt that it is unlikely you will ever find out how far in the future that sort of failure may occur.

OP
OP
jack bauer

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
There is a benefit to rebuilding and almost zero downside.

When you or your shop finishes the bushing remove and replace procedure the arms will still be the exact length you have been driving on, so you simply reinstall the arms and everything will be in good alignment.

Unless you have specifically bent an arm on a particularly nasty rock, or mutilated an end piece by scraping most of the perimeter into metal dust, the arms will not experience much in the way of wear and tear. They do technically have a fatigue life, but they are all so overbuilt that it is unlikely you will ever find out how far in the future that sort of failure will occur.
I am saying I'd rather replace the entire bushing rather then rebuild a shot one.
This is one reason MC bushings are attractive to me.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Thanks.
I reached out to a Gold Standard shop and while they are not as close to me I think it will be worth the drive to have a shop install that primarily deals with MC lifts.
I had Lifestyle Garage in Lakeside install my GC 2.5. They were recommend by Metalcloak directly. I believe they’re gold standard shop. Talk to Tony the owner and/or Devon. They know their product very well. I was very happy with the quality of work they provided and their prices are reasonable. They almost exclusively install MC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jack bauer

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
I had Lifestyle Garage in Lakeside install my GC 2.5. They were recommend by Metalcloak directly. I believe they’re gold standard shop. Talk to Tony the owner and/or Devin. They know their product very well. I was very happy with the quality of work they provided and their prices are reasonable. They almost exclusively install MC.
I'm in OC to Jeep Doctor is the closest Gold Standard shop to me, I think.
Lakeside I think would be the next closest.
Sponsored