Sponsored

SoCal by way of Vegas...

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I'll be "importing" my new JL from Marsh in Vegas.

Looking over CA DMV website I don't see why I'd have to smog a brand new vehicle. Does this not apply?

"Owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification."
As mentioned above. YES you need a smog and you need it done BEFORE you go to the DMV.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Kissell

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Agreed, DMV requires it when you go in to register. I did it at a gas station, took 15 mins.

speng

First Name
sha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tl types
hi there , dose anyone know if you can lease the jl from out of the state if you are at socal , and how do they charge the tax , how do you do the dmv papers . ? thx a lot !

macycat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Well, Antonio at Marsh Jeep in Vegas is still up to his old tricks. He is still offering a total of a 5% discount below invoice (4% + an extra 1% with a $100 Tread Lightly membership). I live in SoCal and called a number of dealers around here, and not one of them would come close.

I ordered a fairly loaded Rubicon Unlimited from him a couple of days ago and wanted to let folks know how different this experience was compared to my other vehicle purchases. The entire transaction was done mostly via e-mail with no pressure and no hassle. He helped me through the process, answered all questions in a timely fashion, and explained what I would need to do to get it registered here in SoCal. If interested, here is his e-mail - [email protected].

I look forward to a trip to Vegas in a couple of months to bring back a new Jeep Rubicon!

I will keep everyone posted on how the rest of the transactions goes.

Beetle Bailey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, HD Dyna, HD Softail
Well, Antonio at Marsh Jeep in Vegas is still up to his old tricks. He is still offering a total of a 5% discount below invoice (4% + an extra 1% with a $100 Tread Lightly membership). I live in SoCal and called a number of dealers around here, and not one of them would come close.

I ordered a fairly loaded Rubicon Unlimited from him a couple of days ago and wanted to let folks know how different this experience was compared to my other vehicle purchases. The entire transaction was done mostly via e-mail with no pressure and no hassle. He helped me through the process, answered all questions in a timely fashion, and explained what I would need to do to get it registered here in SoCal. If interested, here is his e-mail - [email protected].

I look forward to a trip to Vegas in a couple of months to bring back a new Jeep Rubicon!

I will keep everyone posted on how the rest of the transactions goes.

Ditto here...I will be driving back from Vegas right behind you...keep checking your mirror!

Sponsored

Beetle Bailey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, HD Dyna, HD Softail
Agreed, DMV requires it when you go in to register. I did it at a gas station, took 15 mins.
My understanding is that if you have the "50 states" emission, you do not need to have it smogged as the jeep complies with all requirements in all fifty states

lagunajim

My understanding is that if you have the "50 states" emission, you do not need to have it smogged as the jeep complies with all requirements in all fifty states
I asked this specific question on a phone call with CA DMV and they said "smog check anyway" since it's coming from another state.

jeep949shopper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon, Rav4
Just checked with jeepchat. Mine went from KZ with no shipping information yet, to JS (storage). For a Sept order, what a crapshoot of a company to order from.

Sponsored

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
I'm planning on purchasing a new Jeep JL in Las Vegas. I'm sad to say, I live in California.

When it come to the sales tax, the Vegas dealer told me that I'm to pay the Nevada sales tax, and when I go and register it in California, I'm to pay the difference, showing them the sales receipt.

Anyone know if this is true?

Other fees, the registration fee?

Being brand new, will the Jeep need to have a smog check?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I'm planning on purchasing a new Jeep JL in Las Vegas. I'm sad to say, I live in California.

When it come to the sales tax, the Vegas dealer told me that I'm to pay the Nevada sales tax, and when I go and register it in California, I'm to pay the difference, showing them the sales receipt.

Anyone know if this is true?

Other fees, the registration fee?

Being brand new, will the Jeep need to have a smog check?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks
Many of your questions are answered above. Yes you need smog. No you do not pay any fees when you buy out of state and yes you will pay CA tax and license at the CA DMV.

lagunajim

A lot of the savings for going from SoCal to Vegas is eaten up by their $399 doc fee. Ours is usually about $80 here, and is fixed by law. Yes smog check here another $65. No you won't pay any sales tax to Nevada.

When it was all calculated out, I was going to save $800 going to Vegas vs buying here at 2% off invoice so I ended Vegas and ordered from Chris Girard at Buena Park, CA - 30 minutes from my home.

lagunajim

One more concern: the recommended break-in period is 300 miles (details below). So if you wanna buy in Vegas either stay there for 300 miles or ignore the recommended break-in.

" ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
"

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
Many of your questions are answered above. Yes you need smog. No you do not pay any fees when you buy out of state and yes you will pay CA tax and license at the CA DMV.
The full California tax or the difference? The dealer said that all I need to pay is the difference.

Why on earth would I need a smog check on a brand new vehicle?
Sponsored