wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
cool info wibornz ... questions... how big are your tires? and what kind of balancing beads did you use and how many ounces per tire? Thanks!
They are 37x12.5R17 Cooper STT PRO tires. I used 10 ounces bag of balancing beads.
Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
What are you putting on the bolts to keep the stainless from galling in the aluminum rim?
The wheels have a heli-coil thread insert the bolts go into. I also use anti-sieze on the threads of the bolt.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Great post @wibornz I'll definitely be getting a set of beadlocks someday.

I have a couple of questions too...how often did you rotate your tires? And what tire pressure did you run them at on the highway?

I've really liked my Cooper STTs and I'd love for them to last 50k-60k miles like yours :like:
I will be doing a write up on the tires soon. I rotated the tires every six to seven thousand miles. A five tire rotation. I usually run 26 to 27 psi in the tires for normal driving and will air the back tires up to 30 psi when pulling my camper. On the trail, I usually air down to 8 psi.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I never thought about my steering power before beadlocks. My first time airing down to 8 psi I found to be impossible or very difficult to turn at a stand still.

@wibornz , is your steering boosted to help when aired down? I feel that’s a hidden cost, but don’t have enough experience to say that with confidence.

I just stick to 12-15 psi now, with the confidence I can air down further if I get stuck on an obstacle and need to try more tire deformation/grip.
I have thought about going to a hydro steering, but really have not had enough problems to motivate me to do it. There has been times where it would help of course but it has not been that big of a deal.

VolvDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR / 08 F350
Great post @wibornz I'll definitely be getting a set of beadlocks someday.

I have a couple of questions too...how often did you rotate your tires? And what tire pressure did you run them at on the highway?

I've really liked my Cooper STTs and I'd love for them to last 50k-60k miles like yours :like:
wibornz you mentioned running beadlocks for 53k miles, were all of those miles on the same tires?

Sponsored

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
As requested.

1629284998733.png

1629285021494.png
Looking at the photos, it looks like you got a defect, maybe a cut, in one of the sidewalls. It might be an indication that the tires were somehow mounted incorrectly. Just to be safe, I recommend that you get all those tires off all those bead lock wheels, inspect everything carefully, maybe two or three times, and remount only those tires that you're really, really sure pass your inspection ...just to be sure.

morlan52

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
SCADA Engineer
I will be doing a write up on the tires soon. I rotated the tires every six to seven thousand miles. A five tire rotation. I usually run 26 to 27 psi in the tires for normal driving and will air the back tires up to 30 psi when pulling my camper. On the trail, I usually air down to 8 psi.
Cool thanks Ted - I've been running the same pressures in mine. They drive great. I'll keep an eye out for your write up for sure.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Looking at the photos, it looks like you got a defect, maybe a cut, in one of the sidewalls. It might be an indication that the tires were somehow mounted incorrectly. Just to be safe, I recommend that you get all those tires off all those bead lock wheels, inspect everything carefully, maybe two or three times, and remount only those tires that you're really, really sure pass your inspection ...just to be sure.
I would do that, but my current situation is camping and wheeling for the next five days in the U P of Michigan. Next to a lake right now chillin in the camper.

Medicaptain

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Plat....looking for a JL
Wibornz....this is a great write up, educational for me and as always....another valued post by you. Thanks for all the efforts.

Sponsored

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Great write up. 9 time Wrangler owner and never thought about what a PIA beadlocks would be.
I don't play in the rock enough to justify it sounds like. It's never been a thought because I've always ran stock wheels and tire size.

Got XR package Rubi on order. I was thinking about beadlocks purely for the look. Not the looks of the beadlocks but afraid the XR wheels will look like hammered shit without them. But, no doubt not worth the hassle just for the look. Hopefully the beadlock capable XR wheels will look okay without them.

Thanks again. Good stuff.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Thanks for the right up. I’m holding off on bead locks, mainly because of what you outlined here.

My question is about the balance beads. How well do they work with the large tires?

I tried them once on my motorcycle tires, but never really knew if they made a difference. I’ve noticed that my Pats don’t stay balanced very long and wonder if the beads would be a better way to go.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
To make you feel better, last time I pull my tires off, I snapped 2 bolts (at head), and another bolt messed up the thread, that I have to pay someone to extract and re-tap it.

No, I did not use any air gun, and I used plenty of anti-seize, and I also have a very expensive torque wrench.

There are newer offroad wheels that are designed to hold beads much better, but not through the traditional beadlock, like Method 70*, Teraflex Nomad, etc. Besides, most beadlock wheels don't have any lock on the inward side of the tire, so they only hold like half of it.

Also, it is heavy as hell. I mean you can hold 20-30 bolts in your hand and feel how heavy that is, which is basically going to be added onto the wheel.