Sponsored

So you have a Service Axle Locker warning light. How I fixed mine.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
What an absolute nightmare. This is insane, and absurd they had you go through all of this. The worst part is how FCA keeps this silent. I mean, eventually all, if not most rubicons are going to have this issue. There should be a recall to seal all of these sensors, but of course FCA wont ever do that unless they get into a lawsuit. Which probably wont ever happen since this is a "toy" and not a "safety" feature.

Sometimes I am so glad I got such a good deal on my sport and will sooner than later put an ARB locker in there.

"Customer: eHi FCA I am calling because I have a message in the dashboard that says I need to replace the engine oil. FCA: You need a new engine".
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer

Qurtyslyn

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR
Mine is intermittently blinking on and off now after getting back from the desert. Guess this is going to be a fun time with the dealer.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is intermittently blinking on and off now after getting back from the desert. Guess this is going to be a fun time with the dealer.
Welcome to the club!! I recommend unplugging it from the rear diff until you can get things figured out.

Sponsored

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Heads up team.. I work for a big company (Boeing) and I know the challenges working with big companies, so i jumped in to help.. after a dozen calls and emails I am getting some traction.

I am pushing on FCA and now Dana for warranty focals to get engaged and @JeepCares is trying to help too.. This issue and the charging - battering issues are not dealer problems they are factory problems that we can not let them ignore or treat us like whinners.. Keep up the get posts.. help is coming.

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all. Been following this discussion. Dumb question- how does one wire up this $179 Z Automotive sensor to your stock axel? Is this done inside the diff or is the wiring outside the diff? Any pics? Thanks.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Heads up team.. I work for a big company (Boeing) and I know the challenges working with big companies, so i jumped in to help.. after a dozen calls and emails I am getting some traction.

I am pushing on FCA and now Dana for warranty focals to get engaged and @JeepCares is trying to help too.. This issue and the charging - battering issues are not dealer problems they are factory problems that we can not let them ignore or treat us like whinners.. Keep up the get posts.. help is coming.

I just had another long conversation with Mopar Vehicle Protection at 1-800-521-9922 they suggested a 3 way call between the dealership and the Mopar Vehicle Protection "authorization" department. The have the authority to grant "approved fixes" without voiding warranty.

I hope this helps..

TC

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
There is actually nothing wrong with the JL here. This is honestly a minor issue. Most issues so far in the JL have been minor, like this sensor, the seat release mechanism of the 2 doors, etc... These kind of issues are normal in a new vehicle and appear during production time. It is a complicated machine and some things tend to fall through the cracks. The important stuff like our engines, transmission, etc... are solid (other than the clutch issue with the manual which was quickly fixed).

What makes THIS a big issue is the way FCA deals with it, and 99% of dealers not knowing how to fix it. FCA customer care sucks to be honest. They only fix issues when they get external pressure such as lawsuits. They suck big time and whoever defends FCA's customer service is living in disneyland.

And don't say "it is all car manufacturers" cause it isn't. I've had minor issues like this with my Toyotas, and I never have to visit 3+ dealers to get an issue properly addressed, or wait weeks to get a minor issue like a broken seat fixed. These things not only happen to Jeeps, but FCA doesn't want to deal with anything.

But what can we expect, if we have a corporation composed of the car manufacturers with the worst customer service record in Europe. FCA is the worst thing that happened to Jeep in terms of customer service.

Last edited:

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Something I noticed when plugging in the Z automotive "fix" is that my rear locker plug had dielectic grease or something similar in the plug. Not sure if this was done after I mentioned it to the dealer or from the factory. This tells me that FCA absolutely knows what the problem is.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Something I noticed when plugging in the Z automotive "fix" is that my rear locker plug had dielectic grease or something similar in the plug. Not sure if this was done after I mentioned it to the dealer or from the factory. This tells me that FCA absolutely knows what the problem is.
Of course they are. and they were also aware of the steering box issues long before they came up with the new box.

SJSRubicon

First Name
Sheryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Hello fellow SERVICE AXLE LOCKER SYSTEM Jeepers; Everyone needs to write an online report of this condition to www.NHTSA.gov. It’s quick easy and takes 5-10 mins. Help us all out by filing your report on this to the National Highway Traffic Safety Association. They monitor complaints on vehicles and work with manufacturers to clear the problem. I reported this as drivetrain, electrical and other. When enough reports appear then the regulator helps the manufacturer figure out the problem and then they all get recalled that are affected.

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I built my own working circuit months ago which I used until I got my new axle last October/November.

I put out the potting information instead of the circuit info because I'm not going to be liable for any mistakes someone makes when putting the circuit together. The potting write-up will carry people long enough to get the sensor from MOPAR, which will happen eventually. It may take a long while now, especially with shortages in every corner of the industry, but potting should last the life of the Jeep.

Sierra Fan

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon (on order). 1978 VW Convertible, Porsche Panamera, Honda Pilot
My latest update is that they are checking something in the diff and will likely be replacing The entire rear diff. I thought they wouldn’t replace the diff and would just do the whole axle assembly? Is that sensor part of the differential assembly or the axle?
I'm having the same issue with my 2019 JLU Rubicon. This is the 3rd visit to the dealer. The first time they said they would change the axle, but then it was on backorder so they flushed the diff and cleaned some metal parts they said was fouling the sensor. I drove it away and they same problem occurred. The second visit they changed a sensor. Now the problem is back and I'm waiting to hear their "solution".
Sponsored