Sponsored

So you have a Service Axle Locker warning light. How I fixed mine.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard guys wire up the lockers to an aux switch...I would probably go that route. But I did buy the z locker fix to mitigate this issue.
My wife's axles are after the fact and are wired to the AUX switches... she deals with none of this BS.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
WOW.. look at the profit margin on that thing.... incredible price gouging... thats not right..
$179... 3 day wait by mail, installs in 30 mins, never deal with the issue again.
VS.
Make apt at dealer, wait days/weeks to take it to dealer, leave it at dealer for days for "diagnostic", have $2000 axle replacement ordered (on dealer dime), be told it will be in sometime in October, take Jeep home, wait, wait, wait, make new apt., take back to dealer, wait 1-4 more days to get it back, pick Jeep up and take it home, few months later repeat entire process when the new switch fails.

Meanwhile the guy who got "price gouged" has been out wheeling the entire time.
It's called Capitalism... there is a need, a viable solution is presented at a price people are willing to pay to cut out all the dealer BS and not waste their time.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well this thread is an amazing story... my JLRU is in the shop now and I was going to ask about re-gear and the lifetime warranty, (still will, wonder if I will get a different answer). My dealer is Shaver in thousand oaks and those guy are great (Ken and Chris)..

but it will be funny to see the electrical part go bad on my stock (unmodified axle) and they would replace the whole axle i guess.. I got on this thread because I am considering upgrading axle shafts, as i have heard others break theirs and i really dont want to get stranded somewhere.. https://spicerparts.com/parts/axle/...a-44-advantek-front-axle-for-jeep-wrangler-jl So i have a call out to Dana to see how this can be upgraded will maintaining a warranty.. or I will just bring spares and force FCA to fix it after the fact. It seems to me FCA is hurting their own bottom line by not allowing people to upgrade at a component level.
Yep, it sucks all around. You need to make the choice... don't touch anything and have the "safety" of the warranty and all the BS that comes with it regarding this stupid solenoid OR do what you want to your Jeep and enjoy it and deal with the issue if it comes up.
You haven't failed yet, if I were you I'd crack the diff open asap, pot that switch and seal the top real good and go ahead and re-gear and put the new shafts in and go enjoy your Jeep.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
$179... 3 day wait by mail, installs in 30 mins, never deal with the issue again.
I thought it was such a good deal, I bought 2 of them. I don't know if I need it for the front axle, but I'll have a spare for the unlucky guy that gets stuck with a bad locker.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wibornz, please update us on the RTV bandaid after your trip.
I siliconed mine much like Ted did about 3 months ago and have had no problems with it so far.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I thought it was such a good deal, I bought 2 of them. I don't know if I need it for the front axle, but I'll have a spare for the unlucky guy that gets stuck with a bad locker.
There are one or two other guys on the other axle locker thread that needed to use two to fix it. They were either having both axles fail or it was the front one causing the failure so they put it in both. You've got the solution in hand if your front fails now :)

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
VS.
Make apt at dealer, wait days/weeks to take it to dealer, leave it at dealer for days for "diagnostic", have $2000 axle replacement ordered (on dealer dime), be told it will be in sometime in October, take Jeep home, wait, wait, wait, make new apt., take back to dealer, wait 1-4 more days to get it back, pick Jeep up and take it home, few months later repeat entire process when the new switch fails.

Meanwhile the guy who got "price gouged" has been out wheeling the entire time.
It's called Capitalism... there is a need, a viable solution is presented at a price people are willing to pay to cut out all the dealer BS and not waste their time.
I agree with @TCogs1 on this one, Mike.

At $179, there has to be damn near 6000% margin in that little harness. Assuming the parts are $3, which is probably high to begin with. I mean, you can buy a PMIC from Digikey for 42 cents.

I get that it's an easy solution to an annoying problem, of which I'm experiencing myself, but I will refuse to buy $360 worth of $6 components to fix something that should work from the beginning.

I will, however, take it upon myself to pot the sensors when i do my regear. The pain and annoyance now will eventually go away when either the sensors are upgraded/improved or the sensor becomes available to purchase.

Even if I buy the harnesses, once the sensor becomes available, I'll end up replacing them to get the Jeep back to functioning the way it should. The harnesses provide a great solution for people wanting everything to work right now; capitalism, as you say. I just can't personally justify it.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with @TCogs1 on this one, Mike.

At $179, there has to be damn near 6000% margin in that little harness. Assuming the parts are $3, which is probably high to begin with. I mean, you can buy a PMIC from Digikey for 42 cents.

I get that it's an easy solution to an annoying problem, of which I'm experiencing myself, but I will refuse to buy $360 worth of $6 components to fix something that should work from the beginning.

I will, however, take it upon myself to pot the sensors when i do my regear. The pain and annoyance now will eventually go away when either the sensors are upgraded/improved or the sensor becomes available to purchase.

Even if I buy the harnesses, once the sensor becomes available, I'll end up replacing them to get the Jeep back to functioning the way it should. The harnesses provide a great solution for people wanting everything to work right now; capitalism, as you say. I just can't personally justify it.
That's it... we're breaking up ;)

I will agree it's a steep price and clearly could be cheaper and had I not had a sensor to harvest out of my wife's axles I would have sucked it up and paid for it... begrudgingly because I'm as cheap as they come... lol.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
That's it... we're breaking up ;)

I will agree it's a steep price and clearly could be cheaper and had I not had a sensor to harvest out of my wife's axles I would have sucked it up and paid for it... begrudgingly because I'm as cheap as they come... lol.
I'll tell you what, I'll source the parts and build my own. Then I'll provide the exact part numbers used, how to make it, and people can make their own. I'll do that for free and will work the same as the $179 harness. It's a temporary fix to something that should work. It's not an "Upgrade". It's a "Band-Aid".

I spend a ton of money on upgrades, but almost none or very little on band-aids.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'll tell you what, I'll source the parts and build my own. Then I'll provide the exact part numbers used, how to make it, and people can make their own. I'll do that for free and will work the same as the $179 harness. It's a temporary fix to something that should work. It's not an "Upgrade". It's a "Band-Aid".

I spend a ton of money on upgrades, but almost none or very little on band-aids.
You would become a hero on this forum!!! Know that you will also get people begging you and throwing money at you to build them as well :)

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link

I *shouldn't* need my $179 harness after the dealer swaps out my axle (probably around when you get yours done too) and we could crack it open. Looks like a black box with probably some small PCB with just a few components on it.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I *shouldn't* need my $179 harness after the dealer swaps out my axle (probably around when you get yours done too) and we could crack it open. Looks like a black box with probably some small PCB with just a few components on it.
I won't need to reverse engineer theirs. I've got the diagram here. I'll put my 4CH Pico on it this weekend and then put together what the DTC Module needs to see. It's a really simple circuit.

Power
Return
Switch Sense
Sensor Return

All I need is the internal values of the hall sensor. I'll get all of that this weekend and order what I need. It'll be a fun little project.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I won't need to reverse engineer theirs. I've got the diagram here. I'll put my 4CH Pico on it this weekend and then put together what the DTC Module needs to see. It's a really simple circuit.

Power
Return
Switch Sense
Sensor Return

All I need is the internal values of the hall sensor. I'll get all of that this weekend and order what I need. It'll be a fun little project.
;)

Jeep Wrangler JL So you have a Service Axle Locker warning light.  How I fixed mine. 1599066717229

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The bulk of the things is a big magnet since I believe it's a Hall Sensor. The little circuit board sits on top, if you guys were closer I could give you the one that's popped open on my work bench.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
The bulk of the things is a big magnet since I believe it's a Hall Sensor. The little circuit board sits on top, if you guys were closer I could give you the one that's popped open on my work bench.
I figured the harness was just faking the readings from the hall sensor with some clever circuitry.
Sponsored