Sponsored

So, you’re thinking about buying your first Jeep?

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
I am by no means “anti-Rubicon”, they are great for those who are VERY seriously into rock crawling and such. They are just pretty heavy duty overkill for the vast majority of folks. I went pretty well all over in a TJ that didn’t even have limited slip. I see folks buying Rubicons because they live in the snow belt-lockers and snow/ice is a rather interesting combination, not the ticket for winter on road driving.
I agree. Would I like to have a Rubicon? Yes, but I couldn't justify the extra cost for lockers and such I will most likely never use. For me, it would have been about, "check it out, got me a Rubi". I got the next best thing IMO, a Willys. Nothing against Rubi's at all, if I had more disposable income I'd have one....and maybe one day I will if they don't get to crazy with dumb motor options and high cost.
Sponsored

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
The title really should include “OPINION”, because that’s all this thread is.
The wrangler can get up to 30 mpg with a diesel, up to 24 with a V6, and is available with a gas/plug-in hybrid model that’s possible to never even use any fuel, ever.

The JL is light years above even a JK as far as on road manners and drivability. Most peoples opinion? They are great.
My opinion? All of the above AND you should get 2, 3, or 4 of them. (Unless you need to tow or carry large items without a trailer) :jk:

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Totà’y
And THAT is the entire point. #2 nephew (Pa.)bought a new Jeep Rubi a few years back “it’ll be great for getting to work in the snow”. I told him lockers are not always your friend. Sure enough, ice with snow on top. He heads for work locked up😳. Slides off the road at a corner. Stuck big time. Calls his wife who comes in her Subaru sedan to get him and take him the rest of the way to work😁. Of course nobody teased him about that😂. His big bad modded Jeep stuck while momma’s little Subi just chugged along. Lesson? THE single most important thing thing to bring with you is the thing between your ears.
[/QUOTE

Totally why I traded my Rubicon on a Sahara. I absolutely wanted the Select-trac transfer case with the 4wd auto. It pairs with the trac-loc rear limited slip diff to make that wrangler the absolute best in winter storms.

Then I missed the Rubicon look, so since the Jeep was paid for, I transformed that Sahara into a Rubicon XR clone, making it the best of both worlds for me.

OP
OP

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
The title really should include “OPINION”, because that’s all this thread is.
The wrangler can get up to 30 mpg with a diesel, up to 24 with a V6, and is available with a gas/plug-in hybrid model that’s possible to never even use any fuel, ever.

The JL is light years above even a JK as far as on road manners and drivability. Most peoples opinion? They are great.
My opinion? All of the above AND you should get 2, 3, or 4 of them. (Unless you need to tow or carry large items without a trailer) :jk:
It’s true that this is my opinion. The JL is truly miles ahead of previous versions and compared to older versions it’s darn near an economy car😏. Most previous Jeep owners think they are great. But as I said, not for everybody. I’ve encountered folks who’ve bought their first Jeep and then been very unhappy over ride/handling/fuel economy. It is Not a “car” or just “another SUV”, and anyone buying one who just thinks they’re getting a cool looking Explorer or Highlander is likely to be very disappointed,. There are Jeep people, and then there are Non Jeep people😏

NotYours

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 2500
Just what i was looking for LOL. Rented one on vacation and loved it. Ordered a 2 door sport. I just dont see me needing a Rubi to drive to hiking locations. May not be the greatest on gas but will beat the 6.4L hemi by 10 MPG so thats a win. Super excited about to be a new member to the Jeep community.

Sponsored

JGreenJeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sport S 2 Door
First time I drove a wrangler was on my 3 mile test drive from the dealer. Went back and bought it and couldn’t have been happier. Now has a 2.5” lift and 35’s, and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. Also glad I went with the rubicon. It’s taken me places I may never have tried to go without it. May not be for everyone but it was the right choice for me.
7E227372-D5A1-4511-8812-A6FAC7D1F11C.jpeg
0BD5F172-C1C9-4902-8CE9-82E9878CA12E.jpeg
Just curious, where is this at? I live in the midwest so have to travel far to see anything like this.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
The answer is always Rubicon! 😏
Agreed. The peasants are trying to make themselves feel better about not being one of us... again. :movember:

OK, ok. I'm joking.
But seriously, few nit-picky caveats worth adding:
1). Rubicons aren't just for rock crawling. I would say if you're planning on becoming a dedicated off roader, and you're not going full tilt with a build: go Rubicon. If you're planning on getting out only 2-3 times a year, OR, if you're going to immediately rip out the drivetrain and put it on 1 tons and 40's, you'll probably be fine with a Sport or Willys,. Most people aren't doing that.

2). You don't need a Rubicon to go off roading- But it's going to end up being A LOT cheaper if you buy the Rubi up front Vs. adding all the parts on later down the line. People think it's just the lockers, or axles, but it's not: the 4:1 gearing in the Transfer case is a game changer. The price ends up being the same, in the end- Unless you're buying a wrecked Jeep, have a shop, or some kind of crazy discount/ partnership, AND plan on doing all the work yourself (and also not factoring in down time for you to install the parts, etc.

3). Do not EVER buy a Jeep that's been modified unless you know EXACTLY what you're looking at, and have the cash/ connections to fix whatever the previous owner neglected. OP's sentiment is correct: Most of those modded Jeeps at the dealer (or on any car lot) were given those "dealer added accessories" to get some poor chump to pay WAY over sticker price; The other scenario is that it was traded/ sold because the previous owner got sick of it/ decided they couldn't fix the problem they (most likely) caused.
And if you're buying a modded Jeep? Don't pay extra. At all. EVER. Unless you're buying a rig that was a previous shop rig that has been built and tested tried and true. Ex: Rigs from reputable companies they built for shows, used for R&D, Shop rigs, etc.

4). Drive it stock first. This might be the most important one, and the one I will always harp on: It's going to teach you to be a better driver off road because it forces you to think harder about your line choices and your vehicles capabilities. I've done this with all my Jeeps.

Last edited:

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Love me some opinion posts masquerading as fact. There is nothing wrong with people who found a dealer and negotiated a better price for the Rubicon. My only regret was there not being a diesel XR version for a gear change. The AEV package was not an option since I personally hate the look of the front bumper, lights, and wheel backspacing. Continue trying to justify your sport purchases peasants :devil:

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Just curious, where is this at? I live in the midwest so have to travel far to see anything like this.
First photo is Marble Canyon and second one is Johnson Canyon in Death Valley last February.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Love me some opinion posts masquerading as fact. There is nothing wrong with people who found a dealer and negotiated a better price for the Rubicon. My only regret was there not being a diesel XR version for a gear change. The AEV package was not an option since I personally hate the look of the front bumper, lights, and wheel backspacing. Continue trying to justify your sport purchases peasants :devil:
😊Never, ever said there was anything “wrong” with a Rubicon, said they were overkill for most folks, and in certain situations may actually be less capable (ie, snow/ice-that cold nasty white stuff folks in some parts of the country never see😏). I’d love to know the % of Jeeps that never leave a paved road-I strongly suspect we’d all be shocked. Gotta remember that on this forum most of us are self proclaimed Jeep nuts. Even here some folks are not into off roading. In the general public you know that percent is even higher. Just saying’. Enjoy your ride. If ya need a Rubi, go for it. If the trails you hit don’t need lockers, etc., save your $$ and use them to fund your adventures!

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
😊Never, ever said there was anything “wrong” with a Rubicon, said they were overkill for most folks, and in certain situations may actually be less capable (ie, snow/ice-that cold nasty white stuff folks in some parts of the country never see😏). I’d love to know the % of Jeeps that never leave a paved road-I strongly suspect we’d all be shocked. Gotta remember that on this forum most of us are self proclaimed Jeep nuts. Even here some folks are not into off roading. In the general public you know that percent is even higher. Just saying’. Enjoy your ride. If ya need a Rubi, go for it. If the trails you hit don’t need lockers, etc., save your $$ and use them to fund your adventures!
No reason to reply to someone who thinks they are better than someone else because they bought a top of the line vehicle that will never see anything other than asphalt. They have to justify the $$$ they spent to do the same thing the sports can do without lockers. 🤣

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
No reason to reply to someone who thinks they are better than someone else because they bought a top of the line vehicle that will never see anything other than asphalt. They have to justify the $$$ they spent to do the same thing the sports can do without lockers. 🤣
Listen here you peasant.
The peasant thing is just Kind of an inside joke. There’s an old thread floating around somewhere people are joking and kidding about peasants not having a Rubicon. It was all in fun and it’s a hilarious read. It is just a goof thread.
So, show some respect for your Rubicon masters you peasants. :movember:
🇺🇲:beer:🤷‍♂️🌈:champagne:💯

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
I am by no means “anti-Rubicon”, they are great for those who are VERY seriously into rock crawling and such. They are just pretty heavy duty overkill for the vast majority of folks. I went pretty well all over in a TJ that didn’t even have limited slip. I see folks buying Rubicons because they live in the snow belt-lockers and snow/ice is a rather interesting combination, not the ticket for winter on road driving.
Lockers are not for snow and ice. Knowing how to drive in the existing conditions allows the tools at hand to perform as intended. A stock Wrangler Sport is a very capable vehicle. Most folks don't need a Rubicon. And most who may don't need the marketing stickers to announce it—

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Listen here you peasant.
The peasant thing is just Kind of an inside joke. There’s an old thread floating around somewhere people are joking and kidding about peasants not having a Rubicon. It was all in fun and it’s a hilarious read. It is just a goof thread.
So, show some respect for your Rubicon masters you peasants. :movember:
🇺🇲:beer:🤷‍♂️🌈:champagne:💯
I missed that one. I will be considered the a$&hole of this thread. 😂
Sponsored