Sponsored

So, you’re thinking about buying your first Jeep?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Listen here you peasant.
The peasant thing is just Kind of an inside joke. There’s an old thread floating around somewhere people are joking and kidding about peasants not having a Rubicon. It was all in fun and it’s a hilarious read. It is just a goof thread.
So, show some respect for your Rubicon masters you peasants. :movember:
🇺🇲:beer:🤷‍♂️🌈:champagne:💯
This isn’t the only place. I’m pretty sure that started over on the old Rubicon Owners Forum back in the TJ Rubicon days- except I think some of those people took it seriously.
I know it’s been a joke on pretty much every Jeep forum I’ve been on since then, except maybe Pirate 4x4, and as much as I enjoyed my time over there when I used to frequent it: those guys are all on another level, as was the banter over there. Those guys brought the HEAT when it came to insults, rivalries, and other jokes.
Sponsored

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
Just what i was looking for LOL. Rented one on vacation and loved it. Ordered a 2 door sport. I just dont see me needing a Rubi to drive to hiking locations. May not be the greatest on gas but will beat the 6.4L hemi by 10 MPG so thats a win. Super excited about to be a new member to the Jeep community.
My two door sport on 37s is getting 19mpg hand and computer calculated. The Rubi is sweet but I couldn’t justify that expense for a toy right now. Only thing I liked better about my first TJ was having the 5spd, sure it was a dog but there is something more engaging and tactile about driving off road with a real gearbox.

The nice thing about Jeeps is once you know you know!

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Lockers are not for snow and ice. Knowing how to drive in the existing conditions allows the tools at hand to perform as intended. A stock Wrangler Sport is a very capable vehicle. Most folks don't need a Rubicon. And most who may don't need the marketing stickers to announce it—
At least lockers are now selectable, my CJ5 had mechanicals and would just plow straight ahead in heavy snow. Constantly having to use winch assisted steering sucks. Dad’s 3A with open diffs and skinny tires easily out performed my highly modified, high powered 5 in snow, quite embarrassing!🥺 The jokes were relentless 😑

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
This isn’t the only place. I’m pretty sure that started over on the old Rubicon Owners Forum back in the TJ Rubicon days- except I think some of those people took it seriously.
I know it’s been a joke on pretty much every Jeep forum I’ve been on since then, except maybe Pirate 4x4, and as much as I enjoyed my time over there when I used to frequent it: those guys are all on another level, as was the banter over there. Those guys brought the HEAT when it came to insults, rivalries, and other jokes.
This is a much better space. Room for all seriousness and fun no matter your level of experience and equipment—

Sponsored

NotYours

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 2500
My two door sport on 37s is getting 19mpg hand and computer calculated. The Rubi is sweet but I couldn’t justify that expense for a toy right now. Only thing I liked better about my first TJ was having the 5spd, sure it was a dog but there is something more engaging and tactile about driving off road with a real gearbox.

The nice thing about Jeeps is once you know you know!
I have a 21 2500 ram but want to use the jeep more of a daily driver. Ok more of a toy than anything but with fuel prices i'd like to get all i can lol. I didn't want to spend that amount for a toy either. They are nice for sure but I don't have to have it. I know i'll be just fine and happy with the 2 door manual soft top.
How much lift did you use? I thought 37's would get less MPG but i'm not informed enough on that set up.

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
I have a 21 2500 ram but want to use the jeep more of a daily driver. Ok more of a toy than anything but with fuel prices is like to get all i can lol. I didnt want to spend that amount for a toy either. I dont have to have it. I know ill be just fine and happy with the 2 door manual soft top.
How much lift did you use? I thought 37's would get less MPG but im not informed enough on that set up.
3.5” Clayton lift
37 BFG KM3
2.0 etorque

It’s gone up everything I’ve pointed it at, although I also like the paint more than the tight trails though.

NotYours

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 2500
3.5” Clayton lift
37 BFG KM3
2.0 etorque

It’s gone up everything I’ve pointed it at, although I also like the paint more than the tight trails though.
I'll look into those additions. Dont blame you wanting to protect a little paint!

Santana74

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler Sahara Altitude 3.0l, 18 Jaguar F-Pace
Ordered my first Jeep 6/9. I went with a diesel powered Sahara Altitude. It can't be built and delivered soon enough.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
3.5” Clayton lift
37 BFG KM3
2.0 etorque

That's a killer set up for a 2dr. Should be able to get you through a lot of trails. I've even seen some 2 doors on 35's do just as well.

For me, JLUR on 37's will do 99% of the trails in the northeast, and that last 1% is the highest end of places I have no business being, anyway (I already get into plenty of places I have no business being as is, I just have good spotters to get me out) . As it is, I will likely run out of talent long before this Jeep is challenged, and I've been wheeling since 2005. I was telling a coworker the Long Wheelbase + 37's + Rubi gear is like cheat mode compared to my TJ's on 33's.

Personally I'm a Rock Krawler boy myself but Clayton has always had some good stuff. My buddy has their long arm kit on his TJ.

JLanesey

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL sport, 1954 CJ3B
Occupation
HVAC
That's a killer set up for a 2dr. Should be able to get you through a lot of trails. I've even seen some 2 doors on 35's do just as well.

For me, JLUR on 37's will do 99% of the trails in the northeast, and that last 1% is the highest end of places I have no business being, anyway (I already get into plenty of places I have no business being as is, I just have good spotters to get me out) . As it is, I will likely run out of talent long before this Jeep is challenged, and I've been wheeling since 2005. I was telling a coworker the Long Wheelbase + 37's + Rubi gear is like cheat mode compared to my TJ's on 33's.

Personally I'm a Rock Krawler boy myself but Clayton has always had some good stuff. My buddy has their long arm kit on his TJ.
Growing up here in CT I was a broke high school kid with a 2001 TJ and lots to learn, I couldn’t afford a lift but I threw 31x super swamper LTBs on it and that thing was an animal, it was a base model though and I blew both diffs on that thing and took it places I’d never dream of taking my JL.

I always wanted @Clayton Off Road lift because that’s what the hardcore guys around here were running back then, I watched them move shops a few times and the stuff they would park outside and that red XJ made me a lifer.

OP
OP

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Remember the old saw “4 WD doesn’t mean you won’t get stuck, it just means you’ll be a Lot further from help when you do”😏

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
Growing up here in CT I was a broke high school kid with a 2001 TJ and lots to learn, I couldn’t afford a lift but I threw 31x super swamper LTBs on it and that thing was an animal, it was a base model though and I blew both diffs on that thing and took it places I’d never dream of taking my JL.

I always wanted @Clayton Off Road lift because that’s what the hardcore guys around here were running back then, I watched them move shops a few times and the stuff they would park outside and that red XJ made me a lifer.
Yeah my TJ on 31s with open diffs was enough to show me there was no need for a rubicon JL. A good tire, short wheelbase, and manual disconnecting sway bar will get you into plenty of trouble. All wranglers are very capable and it seems this is often overlooked.

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
My wife has had numerous AWD SUV's in the past (Subaru's, Volvo's) and decided she wanted a Jeep. She found a 2016 WK2 Trailhawk. She liked everything about it, except the V6. After driving it for a year she decided she wanted a JLU. My best friend has a built JTR (Dynatrac 60's, 40's, EVO/MC suspension, GenRight aluminum bumpers, Accutune King's) and she wanted us to be able to wheel with him. Lucky for her, I'm a garage guy and we live about 30 minutes from Oliver Springs, TN where Windrock Park is. She found a "stock" (it had a bunch of Rugged Ridge dress up items on it) JLUR 2.0. Six months later it's now on a MC GC3.5, 37" KM3's with some Motobilt bumpers that should be ready from the powder coater tomorrow. It took me about 12 hours to install the lift on a Friday, and we were wheeling on Sunday! She loves it, and is planning a trip to Moab next spring. For the wheeling we do, the Rubicon was worth the money. By the time I re-geared, added lockers, transfer case, and beefed up a lesser axle (without dropping $20k!!!) I came out ahead.

Like others have noted, if you aren't wheeling it, and can't work on it, get whatever works for your budget!
Sponsored