Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
The thing I’m doing: trading in my built 2018 JLU Sport for a 2021 JLU Rubicon, with Sky One Touch top, Alpine radio system, 2.0T without eTorque, leather seats, Granite Crystal, etc.

I have mixed feelings about this because I LOVE my Jeep, as many of you know, and I’ve spent a fair amount of money building it. However, due to trade-in values, this is my only reasonable chance to afford a Rubicon. Not only do I want the improved off-road ability, I also want the SOT top, the top-of-the-OEM-line stereo, etc.

I‘m just awaiting the vehicle to be delivered to the dealership; any day now.

Should I have any concerns about the SOT, or the 2.0T without eTorque? My Jeep currently has the 2.0T with eTorque, and I LOVE it!
Sponsored

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like a good time to upgrade. I've kicked around the idea on a factory Rubicon order but I would just end up with another 3.6 so don't really see the point.

I'm sure if you read around the concern with SOT is long-term reliability and the availability of parts. With that said I would be far less worried about it on a Wrangler considering in a pinch you could pull it all and put a soft/hard top on. With something like the earlier Liberty's that had it I would stay away as if it breaks or leaks you're screwed.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
The thing I’m doing: trading in my built 2018 JLU Sport for a 2021 JLU Rubicon, with Sky One Touch top, Alpine radio system, 2.0T without eTorque, leather seats, Granite Crystal, etc.

I have mixed feelings about this because I LOVE my Jeep, as many of you know, and I’ve spent a fair amount of money building it. However, due to trade-in values, this is my only reasonable chance to afford a Rubicon. Not only do I want the improved off-road ability, I also want the SOT top, the top-of-the-OEM-line stereo, etc.

Should I have any concerns about the SOT, or the 2.0T without eTorque? My Jeep currently has the 2.0T with eTorque, and I LOVE it!
Awesome Jeff. Can’t wait to see pics and to see the new mod list starting :)

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Enjoy! The only thing I heard that turned me away from the SOT is that it really makes it impractical to remove the entire top, which I do every chance I get.
Greg, after test-driving a Jeep with the SOT, we are totally fine with it, and fine with not removing the entire top. In Florida, it is eminently practical all year ’round, as it can rain at any moment. Plus, during summer, it is usually cool enough in the morning to have the top off/open, but a few hours later it is way too hot and humid to not have the top on, windows rolled up, and AC blowing.

Also, while off-road with a group, sometimes you are eating someone’s dust on a trail, so being buttoned-up is advantageous. Some trails there is no dust, and with one button push, almost the entire roof is rolled back. We LOVE the idea of to-the-second flexibility! We have seriously considered what you stated above, and also the “look” of the vehicle being different with the doors and side windows off. Thanks for your input!

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Greg, after test-driving a Jeep with the SOT, we are totally fine with it, and fine with not removing the entire top. In Florida, it is eminently practical all year ’round, as it can rain at any moment. Plus, during summer, it is usually cool enough in the morning to have the top off/open, but a few hours later it is way too hot and humid to not have the top on, windows rolled up, and AC blowing.

Also, while off-road with a group, sometimes you are eating someone’s dust on a trail, so being buttoned-up is advantageous. Some trails there is no dust, and with one button push, almost the entire roof is rolled back. We LOVE the idea of to-the-second flexibility! We have seriously considered what you stated above, and also the “look” of the vehicle being different with the doors and side windows off. Thanks for your input!
You will enjoy the SOT, consider getting a Hotheads liner for it. Makes a Huge difference in heat and noise when closed. I open mine when driving in the morning and evening and it's great.
Gregj

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Should I have any concerns about...the 2.0T without eTorque?
My Jeep currently has the 2.0T with eTorque, and I LOVE it!
I'm pleased as punch with the performance of my non-eTorque 2.0T engine. Only you can decide here, after driving the new JLUR and then being able to compare it to its predecessor.

In Florida, it is eminently practical all year ’round, as it can rain at any moment.

Plus, during summer, it is usually cool enough in the morning to have the top off/open, but a few hours later it is way too hot and humid to not have the top on, windows rolled up, and AC blowing.
You're on the right track. I was stationed in Florida, and can easily recall the rain-hard-for-20-minutes-and-20-minutes-later-it's-dry-and-hot-again weather trends.

And even though I've a soft top Wrangler, I've been a fool for the A/C button lately. It's too bloody humid to drop the top right now. Earlier today, I saw a Beetle driving around with the top lowered, and wondered if they were gluttons for punishment. To each their own, I guess. :)

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Congrats!!! You get a carport yet ????? You will love the SOT. Some have had issues but so far I have not. My Sahara has the 2.0T eTorque and no issues. My Rubi has 2.0T without it. Really cannot tell difference. I was glad they took eTorque off for 2021 really.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Congrats brother!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats!!! You get a carport yet ????? You will love the SOT. Some have had issues but so far I have not. My Sahara has the 2.0T eTorque and no issues. My Rubi has 2.0T without it. Really cannot tell difference. I was glad they took eTorque off for 2021 really.
Hey brother, how are you?

The carport should be built in the next few months; we have a bid and a contractor locked in (a Jeep buddy of mine LOL!). We are closing on another cash-out refi on Monday. 🙂

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Just so you know guys, I haven’t bought it yet. It will arrive any day though, and I’m pretty confident on what I will get for trade-in value.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s the window sticker for the Rubicon I’m waiting on. The salesman has guaranteed me multiple times that I have first crack at it. If it doesn’t work out, I will just order one.

4DF7B714-C18A-4A9E-8B62-DF16D381977B.jpeg

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey brother, how are you?

The carport should be built in the next few months; we have a bid and a contractor locked in (a Jeep buddy of mine LOL!). We are closing on another cash-out refi on Monday. 🙂
Doing good. Hope you and the misses are doing good. Caught on real quick with this retirement thing. lol
No more work worries is great!

Glad you are getting the carport done for the Jeeps! :jk::jk::like:

Take care. Good luck with the Rubi!

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
So, I did that thing...Sky One Touch, 2.0T, Alpine group, leather, etc. now the new build begins...

5FDD05C9-F130-46F0-851F-76EBDCE093F7.jpeg
Sponsored