Sponsored

So wranglers don't really lose (much) value when used? Does bone stock keep its value best?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
JL demand caused by the rich girls in LaLaLand.
Yep , It appears to be a fad in Beverly Hills for the clueless twenty-somethings to have 4-door JLs . A few years ago it was young men in Italian sports cars , but the police put a quick stop to their street racing .

In my beach town , the Jeeps are mostly older ones without doors or tops , ( with future judges ). ( That judge in D.C. sure got roasted over the coals for having a normal high school experience , lol .)
jeep spirit.jpg
Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Yep , It appears to be a fad in Beverly Hills for the clueless twenty-somethings to have 4-door JLs . A few years ago it was young men in Italian sports cars , but the police put a quick stop to their street racing .

In my beach town , the Jeeps are mostly older ones without doors or tops , ( with future judges ). ( That judge in D.C. sure got roasted over the coals for having a normal high school experience , lol .)
jeep spirit.jpg
In my east coast beach town there are naturally an unusual number of Wranglers (as is true with every beach town), a good mix of older and new ones. Mine being the same beach town that was mentioned prominently in the news events of said Supreme Court Justice as well as he and his friends HS year book musings.

My daughter had several HS friends with Jeeps, but so far none of them have gone on to be judges. We shall see..

Trailhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, M5, 911, Tundra
Yes absolutely - I run a CDJR store and the residual on a 24S typically runs 8-10% higher than Sahara and Rubicon. Also keep in mind that dealers typically use Manhiem sale data for appraisals. You don't know what options are on the ones that are in the data sample. I always say get the extra options on the vehicle for yourself because they make you happy, you typlically won't get them out of resale.
I definitely agree; buy the option set you want and enjoy it daily.

Iā€™ve never made money selling a vehicle but expect my newly ordered JL (or any wrangler) maintains exceptional resale. (If you ever sell it!)

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I definitely agree; buy the option set you want and enjoy it daily.

Iā€™ve never made money selling a vehicle but expect my newly ordered JL (or any wrangler) maintains exceptional resale. (If you ever sell it!)
The higher the price of the vehicle , the more the depreciation . Partly because the wholesale cost of the expensive vehicle is a greater percentage lower than msrp , to make it more profitable for the expensive vehicle dealer . Think Mercedes .

Economics are : the dealer will need to sell it to the next guy , so he won't pay more than his wholesale estimate for the used , and likely will pay lower than his wholesale estimate for the used . Mercedes and BMWs have some of the largest percent depreciation .

Whereas , my JK Sport has actually appreciated in prices asked for used ones on dealer lots . Same with FJ Cruiser .

JL is too highly priced to appreciate , according to laws of economics .

MLBRINES

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Chevy C10 1/2 ton pickup short bed. 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired IBM
In getting ready to pay for my 2019 Sahara (currently on order as of 09/13/2018), I sold my 2005 Unlimited. It was in immaculate condition. 117K miles, all stock. Had not been in any accident and not a single issue with it. It did have some small scratches here and there (inside of tailgate and at the door sill from shoes. Paid $24K out the door in 2005 and sold it a coupla weeks ago to a guy that drove from the outer banks to come drive it, confirm the offer and take it home for $14,250. I had a firm commitment within an hour of listing it. I think this was an excellent price for both the buyer and myself. I was impressed that my Jeep brought me a good price at resale. I did get an offer for a dealership to purchase it for $9.7K....BIG difference in what I sold it for.

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

Sponsored

Nutcracker

First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon
In getting ready to pay for my 2019 Sahara (currently on order as of 09/13/2018), I sold my 2005 Unlimited. It was in immaculate condition. 117K miles, all stock. Had not been in any accident and not a single issue with it. It did have some small scratches here and there (inside of tailgate and at the door sill from shoes. Paid $24K out the door in 2005 and sold it a coupla weeks ago to a guy that drove from the outer banks to come drive it, confirm the offer and take it home for $14,250. I had a firm commitment within an hour of listing it. I think this was an excellent price for both the buyer and myself. I was impressed that my Jeep brought me a good price at resale. I did get an offer for a dealership to purchase it for $9.7K....BIG difference in what I sold it for.

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG
I sold my 2005 JK Rubicon a few weeks ago for $14,500. This is above best Blue Book Value. It had a well used Warn Winch, side steps and CB Radio otherwise bone stock. Paid $26,000 January 2005 and sold fourteen years latter $14,500. Now a bad investment for 133,00 miles. One clutch three sets of plugs and regular oil changes.

MLBRINES

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Chevy C10 1/2 ton pickup short bed. 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired IBM
That engine compartment, though... you could eat off of that. Seems to me the guy got a deal at $14,500. Nice rig...
LOL, my Jeep was in super condition and your right, I think the buyer got a great deal and I did too...my first Jeep gave me a one last reward......a good amount of money to put towards my 2019 Jeep...yeah baby !

OP
OP

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
I have a different hypothesis. Because the JL is a paradigm shift in features itā€™s going to now drop the resale value of JKs. And because of the change and broadening of target consumers, the JL will have high value retention. And the more loaded with stock options, the better the resale value because the audience of buyers has shifted from 4wd enthusiast to wantig a suv with style and comfort. And everyone I know and shown our JLR canā€™t believe i tell them we didnā€™t modify it at all. They all thought because of the aggressive appearance of the JLR we did stuff to it. Nope all stock. Their responses...wow, no way, cool, how much, dude, sick, does wife know, and a few other explicatives .
I'm not so sure feature-stuffing and appealing to a broader set of customers is going to make the old jeeps go down in value.

As an example, mid-late-80s porsche 911's used to sell for $25k in nice shape 10 years ago.

Now we have these paradigm-shifted new 911s watercooled (996, 997, 991) whose values are dropping like rocks... Now those mid-late-80s 911s are selling for $75k-100k+

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
I'm not so sure feature-stuffing and appealing to a broader set of customers is going to make the old jeeps go down in value.

As an example, mid-late-80s porsche 911's used to sell for $25k in nice shape 10 years ago.

Now we have these paradigm-shifted new 911s watercooled (996, 997, 991) whose values are dropping like rocks... Now those mid-late-80s 911s are selling for $75k-100k+
Iā€™m confused. Your comparison is between models 30 years apart? I donā€™t really see that as a valid comparison.

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport

To be a true well-heeled hipster you need an air cooled 911 parked next to your ā€˜73 Bronco.

If youā€™re not a hipster Iā€™d be buying that water cooled 997 all day long, which is just about to hit the appreciation curve the air cooled cars hit a decade ago.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
To be a true well-heeled hipster you need an air cooled 911 parked next to your ā€˜73 Bronco.

If youā€™re not a hipster Iā€™d be buying that water cooled 997 all day long, which is just about to hit the appreciation curve the air cooled cars hit a decade ago.
I'd go 2009+ for a 997.2.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I'd go 2009+ for a 997.2.
Same. I had a 2012 S and it will definitely go
down as one of the best cars Iā€™ve ever owned. If things like LEDs and a more modern dash are important to you, then thatā€™s the 3 years to look at- the 2010-2012 cars.

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
If you try to sell in one or two years you are competing with new ones. Also remember there is a wide spread between trade in value and dealer retail. Yes a dealer may ask $30K for something but only offer you $26K. They typically have to offer some kind of warranty and usually put tires on them.
Sponsored