Sponsored

So wranglers don't really lose (much) value when used? Does bone stock keep its value best?

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
I noticed on craigslist a 2014 2-door JK sport offered at $23k. 45k miles, looks stock and clean.

in 2014, these were MSRPing at $22,395. So even with a few options and a discount, this 4 year old car has lost maybe only a few thousand dollars (assuming the seller gets close to asking).

This seems practically unheard of in the car world.
Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Remember- “selling” and “sold” are different answers. I can put my JL up for $60k, doesn’t mean I’ll get it.

That said, I have noticed that the less it’s modded, the better it seems to sell. People like to mod themselves and/or know that someone hasn’t abused it.

But no, i wouldn’t assume a bone stock Sport with 45k miles would go up in value over sticker. That’s a lot of hope or ignorance.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Ok, I’ll edit my own thoughts (I’ll keep the prior post for posterity). I ran it stock on KBB. I’ll be damned...

EDB15651-D44C-43F7-AFBD-3269052F7A69.png

Luvmejeeps

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport. 2004 TJ
Dude wont get anymore than 20k for it at most. Nobodys gonna pay that much when you can buy a brand new one(and the newer n better gen model at that) for 4-5k more with zero miles,and the warranties,etc etc. Unless someones dumb and doesn't do ANY homework.

Sponsored

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
I only lost $1200 on my 2015 JKUS after putting 35K miles on it in a year. These Jeeps are something else!

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
For what it's worth, the sticker on my JL Unlimited Sport S was $45k. I got ~$2500 off sticker. The residual value (essentially what Jeep and Allied financial think it will be worth) at the end of my 3 year, 10k/yr lease is ~$36k.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I noticed on craigslist a 2014 2-door JK sport offered at $23k. 45k miles, looks stock and clean.

in 2014, these were MSRPing at $22,395. So even with a few options and a discount, this 4 year old car has lost maybe only a few thousand dollars (assuming the seller gets close to asking).

Keep in mind that the brand new 2 door JL Sport I bough, with every option offered on a Sport (except hard top) was bought for a hair more than $31,000. Zero miles. Fresh bumper to bumper warranty. Fresh tires. No dents, no dings, no stories.

If you figure .20 cents a mile you’re taking $9,000 at 45,000 miles. That’s not taking into consideration any additional options or even the standard side airbags, 17” wheels, rear view camera, superior soft top, etc. that you gain with the standard JL Sport.

I know lots of people buy “lightly” used Wranglers all the time for real money, but to my way of thinking it makes practically zero sense as long as you’re able to afford a brand new one.

And I do think Wranglers without mods are more valuable in the after market, at least in the sense the seller can sell if for less money than the person can who sunk a bunch of money into his. Price matters.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Remember- “selling” and “sold” are different answers. I can put my JL up for $60k, doesn’t mean I’ll get it.

That said, I have noticed that the less it’s modded, the better it seems to sell. People like to mod themselves and/or know that someone hasn’t abused it.

But no, i wouldn’t assume a bone stock Sport with 45k miles would go up in value over sticker. That’s a lot of hope or ignorance.
This is very true. In addition, many Wranglers for sale by individuals (not dealers) are posted way over price because they actually don't want to sell it. Guys put up their Wranglers for sale because his girlfriend / wife MADE him do it. This way he can say "I tried to sell it, but no one wanted it. Sorry hunny." He did it to appease his significant other.

BBETTS123

First Name
BRANDON BETTS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRANGLER

Yes absolutely - I run a CDJR store and the residual on a 24S typically runs 8-10% higher than Sahara and Rubicon. Also keep in mind that dealers typically use Manhiem sale data for appraisals. You don't know what options are on the ones that are in the data sample. I always say get the extra options on the vehicle for yourself because they make you happy, you typlically won't get them out of resale.

Sponsored

OP
OP

randyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
truck
This is very true. In addition, many Wranglers for sale by individuals (not dealers) are posted way over price because they actually don't want to sell it. Guys put up their Wranglers for sale because his girlfriend / wife MADE him do it. This way he can say "I tried to sell it, but no one wanted it. Sorry hunny." He did it to appease his significant other.
this was a dealer ad, btw

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Keep in mind that the brand new 2 door JL Sport I bough, with every option offered on a Sport (except hard top) was bought for a hair more than $31,000. Zero miles. Fresh bumper to bumper warranty. Fresh tires. No dents, no dings, no stories.

If you figure .20 cents a mile you’re taking $9,000 at 45,000 miles. That’s not taking into consideration any additional options or even the standard side airbags, 17” wheels, rear view camera, superior soft top, etc. that you gain with the standard JL Sport.

I know lots of people buy “lightly” used Wranglers all the time for real money, but to my way of thinking it makes practically zero sense as long as you’re able to afford a brand new one.

And I do think Wranglers without mods are more valuable in the after market, at least in the sense the seller can sell if for less money than the person can who sunk a bunch of money into his. Price matters.
Seems like a great price vs used. Base sport? 6sp? can you list your options-thanks.

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
To answer your other question, yes, stock vehicles generally retain more value than if they are heavily modified. There was a study a while back that showed that people view modded vehicles the same as used clothing.

NYJeepFan

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Not sure when this article came out but saw it about a month ago. I have read on numerous sites Jeep Wranglers are one of the best for resale value even though I will be keeping mine.

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk45fkgd/1-jeep-wrangler/#79b8904e799f

"
1. Jeep Wrangler
The original SUV traditionally commands among the highest resale values in the industry, particularly in relatively unadorned versions that off-road enthusiasts covet to customize with aftermarket add-ons. A model-year 2008 two-door Wrangler having clocked 46,500 miles in top condition is estimated to return a whopping 90 percent of its original retail price in trade-in value. The four-door Wrangler Unlimited version fares slightly better, holding onto 91 percent of its MSRP according to NADA Guides. By comparison the off-road ready Rubicon versions – which can be too rough for casual owners – retain 77 and 84 percent of their original sticker prices. "
Sponsored