OP
OP
sweet88gt

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR 24 VW Tiguan Rline 20+21 Tacoma TRD
I reckon a good portion of it is many current JL owners are former JK owners and the tailgate hinges on the JK were notoriously weak. The JL design is much improved, both in materials and engineering. That said, a bunch of folks on this forum also run far heavier wheels and 37" or bigger tires. If I were to ever consider 37" tires, or if I decided I needed to start carrying fuel cans full time or basically added any more weight than my current everyday setup, I'd be looking for a way to strengthen/reinforce the hinges. The current weight/load I have on the tailgate is probably about 95% of the maximum I'd be comfortable with for full-time use.
This is it in a nutshell.
Had a Teraflex setup on my JK. I don't plan on being a long term solution but thought of just getting the alpha metal replacement until such time I get a full on carrier.
So really the question should have been will just the bracket be ok ?
Remember Im not bouncing off of rocks in SW Florida.
Sponsored

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
This is it in a nutshell.
Had a Teraflex setup on my JK. I don't plan on being a long term solution but thought of just getting the alpha metal replacement until such time I get a full on carrier.
So really the question should have been will just the bracket be ok ?
Remember Im not bouncing off of rocks in SW Florida.
That's the exact setup I have and referenced in my first post, and I have supreme confidence in it. I don't do a ton of rock crawling, but my Jeep probably spends more time off-road than most. The reason I opted for the Teraflex Alpha is the adjustability allowed me to bring the spare tire as close as possible to the tailgate (my spare, with 0 offset wheels, is comfortably compressing the OEM bumpers on the tailgate) and set it low enough that it essentially rests against the bumper when closed. Not enough to rub when opening or closing, but enough that I think the bumper can provide some overload support should a bad jounce push the spare tire in downward momentum.

As it sits now, I'm confident that many, many more parts on the Jeep will fail before the tailgate hinges show any kind of wear or weakness and I have zero concern of the tailgate sheet metal buckling.

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
I am looking at putting on 34's (285/75 R17 load C) Toyo's on my stock Willy's / Moab rims. The weight doesn't concern me the new tires a 6 lbs heaver. However, I am concerned about the rub and fit. The new tires are 1.8" larger in diameter 33.8" vs 32" for the OEM Firestones.

Can I get by without causing damage until get a spare tire relocation kit or do i even need one?

Thanks

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I am looking at putting on 34's (285/75 R17 load C) Toyo's on my stock Willy's / Moab rims. The weight doesn't concern me the new tires a 6 lbs heaver. However, I am concerned about the rub and fit. The new tires are 1.8" larger in diameter 33.8" vs 32" for the OEM Firestones.

Can I get by without causing damage until get a spare tire relocation kit or do i even need one?

Thanks
You won't have any issues whatsoever. No modifications needed. That tire is barely any larger than the OEM Rubicon tires.
Sponsored