Sponsored

So which aftermarket part improved steering the most to you ?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Do you feel like you are actually preloading the sector gear at the moment? Asking b/c I've messed with a gearbox on the bench quite a bit and that one in particular has slop even if I lock up the sector gears. There is play somewhere in the interface between the torque sensor (mechanical) and the worm-gear that goes through the sector nut-gear. It's like 1/8-3/16" relative to the steering wheel.

Just wondering if you feel like you can really get rid of all the play since you seem to have a pretty careful approach.
I still have not preloaded the sector. Also, I have not totally eliminated all perceptable steering wheel "play". But, it's down to a very small amount, a fraction of an inch.

I'd like to attempt to adjust it further, but want to be careful about preloading the sector. So, I will disconnect the draglink so I can feel any binding.

Driving it now is definitely a much more confidence inspiring experience. But I've learned that I can easily detect very small amounts of play and that even very small amounts of play is detrimental to the driving experience and confidence. I've also learned that all my other vehicles with rack and pinion systems have no perceptable play at the steering wheel, when driving at highway speeds.
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just a memory that comes to mind...I recall my brother had a 69 Ford truck back in the late 70s that the steering box had worn badly and had a ton of play. I remember we adjusted tha box til the we felt the sector bottom and backed it off a small amount. Since the sector was badly worn in the middle, it tended to bind when turned. We drove it that way for quite a while until he found another box.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Just a memory that comes to mind...I recall my brother had a 69 Ford truck back in the late 70s that the steering box had worn badly and had a ton of play. I remember we adjusted tha box til the we felt the sector bottom and backed it off a small amount. Since the sector was badly worn in the middle, it tended to bind when turned. We drove it that way for quite a while until he found another box.
From my experimentation these gearboxes are "tight" about +/-45 degrees from center then have much more play after that. Turn your wheel shut the jeep off and you will probably notice it. Adjusting the sector off center would be a big no-no.

The box I played with was slightly tighter when moving from 0 to 45 in one direction though. That is where i would expect to feel binding if it is adjusted too tight. That is why the checking process is a max value in that range.
Jeep Wrangler JL So which aftermarket part improved steering the most to you ? Steering Gearbox Check

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yes, that's a great point that is seldom mentioned here. The sector is ground with the gear teeth tighter in the middle range on all boxes I've encountered, in order to accomodate wear (in the center) and adjustment. There's no need for precise steering when the wheels are turned that far, precision is only needed at the center for high speed driving.

OP
OP
sweet88gt

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR 24 VW Tiguan Rline 20+21 Tacoma TRD
Installed Mopar LCA today and took it for a short ride. The additional caster made a difference in my wandering problem. Drove on the interstate where the issue was most felt with a cross wind and was much easier to drive. Worth the $60 plus shipping and 30 minutes of effort.

This so far is a good start.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
First thing this morning, I elected to adjust the box again. I jacked the front, removed the right wheel, disconnected the draglink, removed the intake tube to get access to the adjustment screw, and adjusted it until I could feel binding while turning the wheel (in the center range) then backed off about 30 degrees. This resulted in about 1/8 turn from my previous adjustment.

I took it for a drive on the freeway. The adjustment took it from about 1/2" play at the rim of the steering wheel, to about 1/4". I let my wife drive it. She liked it and remarked that it did have a tighter feel. As you get toward zero play, even small amounts of play elimination are notable.

Liking my JL more and more.

Jeep Wrangler JL So which aftermarket part improved steering the most to you ? 20200627_095328

tbOscarMike

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Oscar Mike
Brand new, completely stock...Some of these JL's seem to be a handfull right off the lot, others are fine. Before you spend more money, get this thing right. Now.

First, Check the tire pressure, as others have said most are coming with about 42 psi, lower that to about 32. That has fixed a lot of the wandering with the road contours and made it a lot less darty in the wind.

If that did not "fix" it... Take it back to the dealer. Have them drive it with you if they don't believe you. You need to start this now before you modify.

If they still think "Its a jeep thing", ask them if you both can test drive other Jeeps on the Lot (JLUR) in your case.

Once you got past the "Jeep thing" response, they should take in the garage.

Have them check the alignment, if that is ok or in the green, have them check the torque on all of the steering components.

IF all that has been done and its still awful on the highway, have them look at the recall for the steering stablizer and the steering box.

Pursue both of these until they have been replaced if applicable.

Main point is, do NOT let up on them before this is fixed. A stock Wrangler should not have these troubles. Don't accept a faulty product.

There have been too many people who have chased this demon and a long list of what "fixed" it. The point is to have them fix it without you having to put on aftermarket parts to fix a lemon.

After going through all of this, there are several aftermarket parts that can fix the problem. As the others have said, start with the caster...

Good Luck!
I just aired down from 42(from the dealer) to 35. Noticeable difference, still a slight dead spot in the center.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Airing down didn't help my steering. Still had slop. But it rode nicer.

Steering dampers and caster won't fix steering slop.

OP
OP
sweet88gt

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airing down didn't help my steering. Still had slop. But it rode nicer.

Steering dampers and caster won't fix steering slop.
Airing down from 43 psi was needed but didn't make a huge difference for me.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Airing down from 43 psi was needed but didn't make a huge difference for me.
Yeah, over 40 psi is well over appropriate pressure. I've tried as low as 25 for extended periods and as I tightened steering components, and eliminated play, I went progressively upward to where I am today at 35 (hot).

Sponsored

CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
Picked up a 2020 JLUR and the drive home from the dealer on the freeway was exciting but not in the new car purchase way.
Joined here to see what others had been doing to the newer Jeeps.

What fix/part has improved your steering the most? My issue is highway driving at speeds with or without wind. Around town its not the end of the world. I have 250 miles on the Jeep.

I read through the posts on pulling the fuse and other fixes. Just seeing what others have done to get it to drive better than my 200K mile 97 4Runner.
My 2019 JLU had the same problem. There was a steering recall done in Feb. 100% fixed the problem. No idea what was involved with the recall, but it was done while I waited, maybe 45 minutes.

OP
OP
sweet88gt

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, over 40 psi is well over appropriate pressure. I've tried as low as 25 for extended periods and as I tightened steering components, and eliminated play, I went progressively upward to where I am today at 35 (hot).
I am currently at 33 cold and here in Florida can get me to around 35-36 hot depending on day.
I only have 500 miles so I don't have a gauge for any steering slop. The wheel has play in it but not excessive. I was constantly having to adjust on the interstate. Not so much around town. Today was an improvement for me.

OP
OP
sweet88gt

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2019 JLU had the same problem. There was a steering recall done in Feb. 100% fixed the problem. No idea what was involved with the recall, but it was done while I waited, maybe 45 minutes.
I had mine in last week and everything on this has the latest parts per dealer.

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
Picked my 2020 up from the service dept today. 800 miles and it wonders from side to side constantly. Service rep said there is nothing they can do, Jeeps are built this way from the factory. Would not even check alignment as they said it is electronic steering issues and not fixable by the dealer. Now what?
Sponsored