Sponsored

So which aftermarket part improved steering the most to you ?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My wife just called me. She took the jeep down to her mother's today. She was on the freeway and said: "wow! You really improved the steering."

I told her I've been working on it. I had just installed the rear Synergy trackbar and tightened the steering box slightly more.

I had not test driven it since the steering box second adjustment.
Sponsored

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Front and rear track bars with both frame braces, makes a big change for sure.

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Just discovered both my front shocks were defective on my JLR with 18,000 miles. I had suspected something was up when I started getting wheel hop at speed after hitting a series of expansion joints. Wasn't DW with a left right pulling moton, but a violent front end shake, like a totally out of balance wheel. I replaced the stock shocks with the Fox 2.0 Performance Series for 0-1" lift. Big improvement all around. The first 2-3" of travel on the front stock shocks have almost no resistance, the rear shocks seem ok. All seems good now, the Fox shocks and a JKS track bar are the only changes so far.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just discovered both my front shocks were defective on my JLR with 18,000 miles. I had suspected something was up when I started getting wheel hop at speed after hitting a series of expansion joints. Wasn't DW with a left right pulling moton, but a violent front end shake, like a totally out of balance wheel. I replaced the stock shocks with the Fox 2.0 Performance Series for 0-1" lift. Big improvement all around. The first 2-3" of travel on the front stock shocks have almost no resistance, the rear shocks seem ok. All seems good now, the Fox shocks and a JKS track bar are the only changes so far.
After you replaced the shocks, was there any difference in steering at all besides the front end shaking?

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
After you replaced the shocks, was there any difference in steering at all besides the front end shaking?
I've never really had any steering issues, besides when the tires get overinflated. The steering is a little dead on center but so was my JK, YJ so I'm going with that's normal. The front end vibrations started out pretty mild so I decided on the JKS trackbar to see if that helped. The vibrations got worse before I installed the trackbar so I ordered the Fox shocks. Got the trackbar installed and it seemed to help, but hard to tell. Once I got the new shocks on it was night and day. No more 80mph wheel hop and ride and handling are both improved. Less body roll, and nose dive under braking. I'm considering the longer LCAs for more caster next. Because it is weird how you have to unwind the steering wheel after a tight turn.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sweet88gt

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR 24 VW Tiguan Rline 20+21 Tacoma TRD
Mine is at the dealer as we speak getting a few things checked out. Once I get it back Ill see what they did and hope to have an alignment sheet.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
My wife just called me. She took the jeep down to her mother's today. She was on the freeway and said: "wow! You really improved the steering."

I told her I've been working on it. I had just installed the rear Synergy trackbar and tightened the steering box slightly more.

I had not test driven it since the steering box second adjustment.
Do you feel like you are actually preloading the sector gear at the moment? Asking b/c I've messed with a gearbox on the bench quite a bit and that one in particular has slop even if I lock up the sector gears. There is play somewhere in the interface between the torque sensor (mechanical) and the worm-gear that goes through the sector nut-gear. It's like 1/8-3/16" relative to the steering wheel.

Just wondering if you feel like you can really get rid of all the play since you seem to have a pretty careful approach.

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
Mine is at the dealer as we speak getting a few things checked out. Once I get it back Ill see what they did and hope to have an alignment sheet.
Mine is headed to the dealer on Monday. New 2 dr Rubicon with only 600 miles. steering get worse every day. We'll see what they saw.

OP
OP
sweet88gt

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is headed to the dealer on Monday. New 2 dr Rubicon with only 600 miles. steering get worse every day. We'll see what they saw.
Mine is back

Tighten all 4 ball joints??
Adjust toe to 0.11 left 0.08 right

I didn't think the ball joints had any adjustments unless the tech re torqued them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sweet88gt

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And how is the steering before and after the dealer? Did you get the alignment sheet?
So really no change. I need to drive it more.
Remember my only complaint is wander at the moment.

IMG_2600.jpg

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So really no change. I need to drive it more.
Remember my only complaint is wander at the moment.

Jeep Wrangler JL So which aftermarket part improved steering the most to you ? IMG_2600
If you’re on a stock Rubi, you need more caster. Pick up some Mopar lift lcas they will increase your caster, which will eliminate the wandering.

OP
OP
sweet88gt

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you’re on a stock Rubi, you need more caster. Pick up some Mopar lift lcas they will increase your caster, which will eliminate the wandering.
This is a stock unit for now. LCA from Mopar will be here on Thursday. This "checkup" was really a before and after to see if anything on the alinement was really out of whack before installing the arms.

Quigley

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2 door, 2018 Harley Limited 115th Anniversary Edition, 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
This is a stock unit for now. LCA from Mopar will be here on Thursday. This "checkup" was really a before and after to see if anything on the alinement was really out of whack before installing the arms.
Did your dealer charge for the alignment or was it covered under warranty?

OP
OP
sweet88gt

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did your dealer charge for the alignment or was it covered under warranty?
They covered that under warranty as the complaint was wandering and they know its been an issue. Did they fix it, I'm not confident but I wanted to at least get a base line for what I was dealing with.
Sponsored