Sponsored

So what's it like living with the JL? (Especially folks who switched from a full sized truck)

Mugzzzee

First Name
Hal (aka Mugs)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Retired since 2004
I stepped up from a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 with Cummins diesel. The Dodge is up for sale. That should tell you a thing or two. I really love my 2018 JLUR. My second Wrangler. There isn't anything about it I don't like. I might also mention that through the luck of the draw I have had absolutely no issues. I do feel sorry for those that have struggled. Cheers to all
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i've always liked the wrangler. eventho the jl is my first, i've been around with my brother's 00 tj so i have a sense of what i was getting into with a wrangler. my last ride was a 07 grand cherokee. i love the grand cherokee because at the time i needed a 4 wheel drive for work and figure its a great all around truck to haul anything, etc. then the motor took a dump at 91k miles. i started to look around at the jl model 2 and 4 doors. test drove a 4 door. choked at the price that the dealer offered me. i found a 2 door model with exactly what i wanted at another dealer. test drove it and got it. why i went with the 2 door..... first, i don't need anything big anymore. 90% of the time it me in it. 10% is a friend. not hauling anything big other than a 13ft kayak. same status with my cherokee. still a 4x4 which i need. i also look at the fact the i will use the jl for vacation. a couple 1500mile round trips. with that not hauling much and should be good on fuel, etc. the jl is a plan and simple jeep to have and take on a few trail later down the road. it took a couple of days to get use to the handling and driving it. not much to worry about. what i expected and very happy with what i got.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Love my JL , 3.6 automatic the towing king (same power combo as a Gladiator), plenty of smooth power, off-road capability , decent gas mileage, parking is a breeze. Purchased a small utility trailer and can haul more stuff easier than with my full-size truck. Also if your a fan of solid axles as I am, then the Jeep gets another plus for its great ride. To get a solid axle in a full-size you’re in 3/4 and 1 ton territory and they ride rough.

Last edited:

noreserve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1999 TJ Sport
I traded in my 2016 F-150 5.0L Supercrew for the JLUR. The F-150 was loaded with most options, including FX4 w/ rear locker, premium stereo, heated/cooled seats, etc. - quite nice inside with tons of room. Unfortunately, I could never really get comfortable with the seats on longer highway rides, even though they were leather, power/lumbar, etc., The lumbar didn't go low enough. I could only drive around two hours before I had to take a break. I really don't have problems in other vehicles, so Ford did a lousy job in designing the seat for me - ha ha. The seats in the Jeep are more comfortable for me than the F-150's. Also, you would think an F-150 would have a comfortable rear seat, but that thing had an ironing board for the rear center seating position - don't miss that either. Can't believe the Jeep's is actually more comfortable.

It being a Supercrew, it had the length of an aircraft carrier - alright, 8 inches longer than a Suburban, but LONG, with a turning radius to match. Yes, it had a lot of room inside and a great flat rear floor. I did a few expensive mods to it - added the Leitner Designs ACS (awesome rack if you're not familiar with it), along with the excellent Decked drawer system. I had an ARB fridge and Goal Zero setup. I also did a lot of work on sound insulation and speaker replacement with Infinity Kappas. I put more time and money into it than I should. It was rock-solid dependable, without a single hiccup in the two years I had it. No, I'm not counting the Ford recalls.

So when I started to have a change of direction was when I started to get interested in an Overlanding setup. Even though I had the rack and drawer system, I was facing a few harsh realities that I should have been aware of: 1. The American trucks just do not have the Overlanding aftermarket penetration that Toyota, Jeep and others do. There just aren't roof racks that are compatible with it, especially if you have the twin-panel moonroof. Skidplates and especially rock sliders which it so desperately needed, were sparse. There are a couple offerings, but not anything to write home about. 2. With its long wheelbase, the F-150 was always going to struggle with any kind of twisty trail, rocks, etc. 3. I still didn't have a front locker, but more importantly, I didn't have the right wheels and tires (mine were 20" wheels/street tire tread), along with proper ground clearance that would help the long wheelbase - think Gladiator, but of course worse. So I was looking at a lift, and new wheels/tires. I also would need to look at gearing, since I had the 3.31 rear. 4. Even with the nice 1754 lb payload I had, I was going to be pushing it when I had it loaded up for Overlanding with Leitner/Decked/full drawers, rooftop tent, fridge, new bumpers, winch, multiple batteries, etc. And did I forget to mention gas mileage? Yes I did. Well I never saw the rated mileage, even before I started loading it up. It was in the 14s overall.

So anyhow, I got to a point where I started following the JL more and more and started thinking about another option - the JLUR and a trailer. My thinking was that I would sell the Leitner/Decked system, keep the ARB/Goal Zero, Warn winch, and some other items that are portable. I would have a fully-capable off-road vehicle with front/rear lockers, proper gearing, great crawl ratio, read-to-go tires, better ground clearance, etc. Plus, I have always loved Jeeps. So that's what I did. And I was sure that I wanted the Rubicon so that I didn't have to go modifying from the start. I have done way too much of that and spent so much time and money - wanted it capable off of the showroom floor, especially on the axles/lockers side. I couldn't find a Black/Tan leather JLUR for hundreds of miles. Nothing but Black leather. You would think in the South especially that people would have more lighter options on the interior. I just couldn't find what I wanted in stock. I also liked the grey dash panel that comes with the tan interior instead of red. I was willing to be flexible on a couple of items, but not the interior, blind-spot monitoring, premium audio, etc. I ended up ordering one just like I wanted and was glad that I did.

I still have my 99 TJ - same black/tan colors, with a 6-speed and the 4.0L. I will most likely sell it soon for a trailer. I'm looking at a couple of trailers, but really like the Schutt Industries XVENTURE XV-2. I really want to put the roof-top tent, ARB, batteries, nearly all of the cargo, awning, and other items on it and keep the Jeep light, mostly unmodified and able to be disconnected once we set up camp.

The main thing I miss about the truck is the ability to put trash/recycling in the bed and run up to the compactor site (necessary due to a long, steep driveway that would negate the usefulness of the service anyhow.) I just purchased a hitch-mounted cargo carrier for the JLUR that will serve that purpose - at least a couple of bins and bags each trip. I first considered a utility trailer, but I don't really want to put $700 on it and would rather save for an Overlanding off-road trailer instead. The XV-2, while expensive, is built like a tank of aluminum and will outlast me. It has over a ton of payload and matches up perfect to the JLUR's maximum towing if it is fully loaded. It can also be used as a pure utility trailer when you want, even with the roof-top tent on. Yes, there are drawbacks to a trailer off-road - namely extra length/maneuvering, but a capable off-road one will go anywhere I will likely push.

I do miss the V-8 acceleration/sound and cavernous F-150 inside, with its huge center console and armrest, utilitarian rear with seats folded up, etc. But I am happy I made the switch to the Jeep. The Jeep, while nowhere near the room of the F-150 inside, is roomy for us and I don't find myself cramped with it at all. There is also a ton of room with the seats folded down. It's much more fun and set for off-road. It is also so much easier to drive around, with its tight turning radius and great visibility, not to mention the fun factor of the folding top, removable doors, etc. My wife got to where she didn't like driving the F-150, especially dealing with tight parking lots. She loves the Jeep - can't underestimate that.

PYLDRVR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito JLUR
I had a 4 door Raptor for 6 years. I do kinda miss the space inside and having a truck bed was convenient but I got really, really tired of finding parking I could get into (and, more importantly, get out of) and the 37 point U-turns. I'd always wanted a Wrangler and, truth be told, mostly used the truck bed to haul bikes which is easily handled by a hitch mount rack so on the whole, I'm super stoked with my JLUR. It makes me smile every time I look at it and I've got plans.... ;)

Sponsored

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Traded in a week ago my 16 GMC Sierra Crew Cab for a 19 JLUR Sting Gray. Loved the truck but love the jeep more. Something about the Jeep that makes you smile when you drive it, which I never got with the truck. I'm sure there will be times when I wish I could haul the occasional item, but then I'll just drop the top and keep smiling! :like:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You're not gonna tug a lathe on an 18' car hauler with a Bridgeport in the bed with a JL....sometimes ya need a truck

4B0AFB24-12E6-491F-8E60-0F2F6950EA3A.JPG

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Est1968.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 2-Door Rubicon
Occupation
Barber / Friend Maker
Three months ago went from a loaded 2014 Ford F-150 4 door short bed to the current 2018 (bought new in 2019) 4 door Sahara and cant b happier. Living in Chicago the F-150 was just to long to be my "daily driver". Just doing general errands in that thing was a pain in the ass. Passing up parking spaces (which a open parking space in Chicago is hard enough to find), I had to pass up a lot of them because my truck was just too long. Wasn't a issue with the width at all , was all about the length. Plus, I have a 1988 AM General Humvee which I can use as a "truck" if need be so the decision to get something abit smaller was made.

It came down to a Toyota 4Runner or a Wrangler and well we all know who won. I figured the Wrangler could "survive" the mean streets of Chicago better then the 4Runner. In the three months I have owned the Sahara i'm a huge fan. Thing is like a go-kart compared to my F-150. Easier to park, easier to navigate thru traffic, etc.

So all in all very happy with my decision..

Sponsored

04JRB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Last month I made the switch from a 2010 Ram 1500 quad cab, 4x4 with the 5.7L Hemi to a 2019 JLUR, 3.6 with 6 speed.

I still have the truck, it has a lifetime powertrain warranty, and pulls our 30' travel trailer. It also still gets used for picking up large items and such. It was worth more to me than what they were going to offer as a trade in, as the rear wheel well rust is a killer on value. I dont miss the 11 MPG it got either. Im getting 18 or so with the Rubicon.

I really like the JLUR, it is much different than my truck though, but in a good way. My kids love the Rubicon, they have much more room in the back, and now have plugs to power devices, and armrest with cup holders, and a much more comfy seat. They love that they can see out the windows and see the ground. They are used to the windows in the Ram that basically they could barely see over the ledge. I do not have to move the front passenger seat all the way up to give my little one leg room while in her front facing car seat like in my quad cab.

My ONLY complaint on my JLUR is the nanny gas pedal and the electronics that make it work. The electronics cut the user input below 2k rpms it seems. The engine does not seem to make any power below 2k rpms, it lugs a bit. I have been driving 390+ HP vehicles for over 15 years now, so going to the 3.6 was pretty noticeable. Maybe a pedal commander will give me full user input on the accelerator and more throttle response?

The throttle issue isn't a deal breaker though, I think Ill get used to it as its only been a month. The JLUR is a much better family vehicle for 90% of my use. Its also much more fun to drive than my Ram, which is awesome as I have been driving full size trucks for about 25 years.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Last month I made the switch from a 2010 Ram 1500 quad cab, 4x4 with the 5.7L Hemi to a 2019 JLUR, 3.6 with 6 speed.

I still have the truck, it has a lifetime powertrain warranty, and pulls our 30' travel trailer. It also still gets used for picking up large items and such. It was worth more to me than what they were going to offer as a trade in, as the rear wheel well rust is a killer on value. I dont miss the 11 MPG it got either. Im getting 18 or so with the Rubicon.

I really like the JLUR, it is much different than my truck though, but in a good way. My kids love the Rubicon, they have much more room in the back, and now have plugs to power devices, and armrest with cup holders, and a much more comfy seat. They love that they can see out the windows and see the ground. They are used to the windows in the Ram that basically they could barely see over the ledge. I do not have to move the front passenger seat all the way up to give my little one leg room while in her front facing car seat like in my quad cab.

My ONLY complaint on my JLUR is the nanny gas pedal and the electronics that make it work. The electronics cut the user input below 2k rpms it seems. The engine does not seem to make any power below 2k rpms, it lugs a bit. I have been driving 390+ HP vehicles for over 15 years now, so going to the 3.6 was pretty noticeable. Maybe a pedal commander will give me full user input on the accelerator and more throttle response?

The throttle issue isn't a deal breaker though, I think Ill get used to it as its only been a month. The JLUR is a much better family vehicle for 90% of my use. Its also much more fun to drive than my Ram, which is awesome as I have been driving full size trucks for about 25 years.
Pedal commander will definitely help with the slow throttle response....

But not the lack of torque :)

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Loading a basic 40x48" pallet? Truck = win. JL = fail

IMG_20190625_092259224_HDR.jpg

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
4BD03CAC-F716-4834-9CEF-9822057D4491.jpeg
Loading a basic 40x48" pallet? Truck = win. JL = fail

JLU with 4x7 $600 utility trailer from Tractor Supply, with only one vehicle to buy, maintain, and insure:

JLU=Big Win!

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Electric organ and full-size filing cabinet? JL = fail. Truck = win

No chintzy trailers chasing you down the road, no problems backing into parking spaces in tight apartment parking lots.

IMG_20190627_095111219_HDR.jpg
Sponsored