Sponsored

So what's it like living with the JL? (Especially folks who switched from a full sized truck)

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
That's exactly it. I loved my Ram but it did seem like a chore to drive because it was so dang big.
To be clear, it wasn't difficult to drive. It rode nice, steered easy, etc. The chore was just maneuvering something so big any time you got to a tight area. IDK maybe people who live in the city and are used to congestion may not be bothered by it. To me the Jeep is just easier to drive by comparison to a full size truck.
I know where you are coming from. Mine has the crew cab and 6.4 foot box, I previously had the crew with the 5.4 box like yours. That foot makes a huge difference. I will often have to backup to hit a perpendicular space. I still have it but only because we need something to tow the travel trailer. It sits a lot. I bought it in July of 17 and just turned over 12000 miles.
Sponsored

Rambler_13

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 Sting Gray
First post here - I traded my 2018 Raptor for a '19 JLUR. I never needed the day to day utility of the the P/U so it was essentially lost on me. Also, the Raptor was too tall, wide, and long for my daily commuting and became more of a pia than fun to drive. Of course, there are many other full size trucks that would be easier to navigate on a daily basis but I just prefer a rugged SUV like you mentioned in the first post - I feel the same way. The Wrangler is so refreshing and fun to drive in comparison and its utility has not yet left me wanting for more. I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed a truck bed in all my years of driving since I can usually just find an alternative (e.g. family, friends, renting, or small trailer).

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I finally said goodbye to my 2005 Silverado with 368,000 miles. I always wanted a Wrangler but I always needed a truck for work. Well, suddenly I had a company truck so I was finally able to get my Jeep. Coming from a vehicle so old, even though my truck was in amazing condition and everything worked properly, the Jeep is a step up in every way. It's great to have fun driving again.

Engmoreau

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLRU
Went from a ram rebel to a JL. Much better mileage and easier to drive around the city. I didn’t really needed the truck.

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I went from a Chevy Colorado to the JLU Rubicon. I realized I don't really need a truck bed besides for hauling out the occasional deer.
We have three kids and if going on a long trip its tight to pack everyone's stuff as wife and kids bring a lot. of stuff.

That being said we have a Yukon XL my wife drives, we take it on long trips for room and comfort. If its two or three people - plenty of room

Also a good roof allows me to haul camping gear, deer, wet stuff....

All in all I wouldn't not trade the Jeep but it would not be the best choice if it was our families only vehicle.

Most of our camping is within in 75 miles so we take the Jeep and and the Jayco travel trailer then unhook the trailer and have fun in the Jeep.

Last edited:

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Ford F-150 8ft bed single cab 2wd 2008. It did its job and like most other posts, I didn't have to worry about what I put in it. I could haul a bunch of 4x8 plywood, drywall, you name it and didn't even think about it. Then came the first grandchild.......... No way could I get a car seat into that thing. So I searched and found the best vehicle I have ever owned, a Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 Sahara. I don't really miss the truck at all. I do miss being able to pick up whole sheets of drywall or other things that I cannot do in the Jeep, but the trade-off is much better. I have fun driving again and parking is a breeze. That truck was really way to big to park any place where there were cars......Go with the JEEP

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Wrangler will not replace or compare to a work truck. Love my Jeep but it's a Jeep. I have a truck for truck work.

Reactions: D60

YerMaun

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUS, '15 JGC SRT, '11 R8 V10, '05 Mustang GT
I moved over from the UK where I was driving a full size Range Rover (huge) and a Mini Cooper S (more manageable fun). Now have the Wrangler JLUS and a Grand Cherokee SRT (I figured, when in Rome...)
After some months, my wife prefers driving the SRT (bit more lux), and I generally prefer the Wrangler. I haul kids and groceries in it every day, it's an easy, carefree, fun car to jump in and whizz around town for whatever needs. It's a good size - big enough to haul, but not so big it's annoying to maneuvre and park in town. I agree with the folks saying it will not replace a proper big cargo work truck, but it's totally fine for 99% of normal daily use. The trunk is not huge like a proper suv, but the Unlimited still has decent space with the seats down.
I have the soft top, and love it. I flip to Sunrider position nearly every trip, take the back window out (with no issues) on the freeway, and make it fully top-down on warm days. With a bit of practice, getting the back/side windows in/out only takes a few minutes.

As others have said, the Wrangler is just FUN to own.
IMG_0618.jpg

akmuddy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Went from a fully loaded 2015 Ram 5.7 Limited to a 2019 JLUR. I loved my truck but the Jeep just opens up a lot more of Colorado to us. We moved here in late 2017. The RAM is just too big here and can't really take it off-road. The JLUR is the perfect Colorado vehicle. I love everything about it...except the cargo ability (or lack of). Just built a new house and need to do Lowe's/Home Depot runs. Had to pick up some new furniture. This has caused us to have to rent trucks for Home Depot 2 times since I got my Jeep in late February. On the up side, I can go off-road now and my mpgs went from 14.7 mpg to over 23mpg in town. In a perfect world, I should have traded my wife's 2018 Cherokee in and kept my truck...but I'll take the JLUR over the truck for day to day driving and weekend off-roading. Honestly, it's super easy and cheap to rent a truck from Home Depot.

IMG_2753.JPG

20160220_113305.jpg

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
I went from a Ford superduty F-250 4 wheel drive,four door long bed, 7.3 L diesel. Both front and rear trailer hitch. I had it for 18 years, and I could tow or haul anything, it was always ready. but it was a bear to park, took a city block to turn. it was a great work truck, but I don't work much any more, and the jeep very fun to drive, park, go anywhere. I too bought a utility trailer to use, and now have to use the motorhome to tow my 18 ft trailer. But in the last several years, I was only putting about 1500 miles on the truck. So insurance, registration (Cal has punitive registration fees for a 3/4 ton truck), maintenance etc. I figure I can boorow or rent for those 3 times a year I need to haul something.

My tesla has more room in it than the jeep, I can put a 10' section of pipe in the tesla, but only 8' in the jeep, Moab. I want to get a roof rack for the jeep to carry the occasional 4 x 8 peice of something. But all and all I couldn't be happier with the jeep and I'm getting used to not having the truck around (but still occasionally miss it). Nice not having to park one more vehicle on the property, and washing it each time before its monthly use. Jeep fits in the garage, truck was 22 feet long!

Jeep does not need the front trailer hitch as its short enough to back up a short trailer without too much issue. The long truck and a short trailer was always a challenge for me, so the front hitch worked very well. I have a commercial wood chipper and need to be able to place it quickly and accurately on my or my friend / neighbors place.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.... Jeep fits in the garage, truck was 22 feet long!.....
Ooo, good point. My Ram fit in the garage, but just barely. It was such a tight squeeze that I just parked it outside. The JL fits in the garage with ease. It's really nice to not worry about the weather. My Jeep is never too hot/cold when I leave the house, and I don't have to worry about walking in the rain or scraping ice off the windows. Easily fitting in the garage is a huge advantage to the Jeep over the full size truck.

Snelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Jeep was 1985 CJ7 / currently 2018 JLU
I went from a Chevy Colorado to the JLU Rubicon. I realized I don't really need a truck bed besides for hauling out the occasional deer.
We have three kids and if going on a long trip its tight to pack everyone's stuff as wife and kids bring a lot. of stuff.

Thank being said we have a Yukon XL my wife drives, we take it on long trips for room and comfort. If its two or three people - plenty of room

Also a good roof allows me to haul camping gear, deer, wet stuff....

All in all I wouldn't not trade the Jeep but it would not be the best choice if it was our families only vehicle.

Most of our camping is within in 75 miles so we take the Jeep and and the Jayco travel trailer then unhook the trailer and have fun in the Jeep.
Do you tow the Jayco with the Jeep or use the Yukon XL?

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Do you tow the Jayco with the Jeep or use the Yukon XL?
I tow the Jayco with the Jeep all the time. We only use the Yukon if it’s a long road trip and aren’t going off the beaten path. But 90% of the time we camp within 100 miles and like to have fun Jeeping after we unhook the trailer.

Snelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Jeep was 1985 CJ7 / currently 2018 JLU
I tow the Jayco with the Jeep all the time. We only use the Yukon if it’s a long road trip and aren’t going off the beaten path. But 90% of the time we camp within 100 miles and like to have fun Jeeping after we unhook the trailer.
Thank you. Do you know how much the trailer actually weighs?

Scooter2

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport / 2022 F250 / 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Wrangler will not replace or compare to a work truck. Love my Jeep but it's a Jeep. I have a truck for truck work.
^^^
The JL is great fun to drive (first time Jeep owner), but I'm not giving up my F150 for any vehicle.
Sponsored