Sponsored

So what's a realistic time frame for FCA to lock down the JL reveal date?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
We are inside 50 days to the guesstimated September 1 reveal, but still nothing from the mother ship. I know I'm not alone anticipating the reveal time, date & location. Anyone wanna weigh in here?

@Milous ?

Beuller? Anyone? Beuller?

Jeep Wrangler JL So what's a realistic time frame for FCA to lock down the JL reveal date? {filename}
Sponsored

Swartz2017

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Durango, 2016 Cherokee 75th
As with others, I'll believe the 9/1 date when I see it.
Perhaps some of our insiders could provide some more clarity- all the foreign pubs keep giving the old "further delay" line- just hoping the Chinese don't know something we aren't aware of!

OP
OP
Billy

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
If I remember correctly the Sept 1 date in the info sticky was posted quite a while back so that very well could have changed by now. Actually just checked the thread again and the Sept 1 press launch date has been removed so definitely could have changed.

Sponsored

SMYYOB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Rubicon
Occupation
Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Long time lurker here. I don't see that anyone has posted this yet but this coming Monday and Tuesday, FCA is sending the principals of the top 20 Jeep dealerships in the country to HQ to see / learn about the new Wrangler. They even have a VOIM (Vehicle Ordering & Inventory Management in Chrysler world) part of the program scheduled so hopefully we should find out some answers soon on ordering and possible standard items. Maybe even some more insight.

Cheers!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well, Mike Manley already stated that since they couldn't be ready in time for this past winter/spring auto shows and Easter Jeep Safari...he is almost certainly going to instead aim for the L.A. Auto Show which occurs at the end of this year. So, I would not expect any reveal information whatsoever until Fall 2017, at the earliest.

Dallas23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Would definitely be interested in the "Top 20" or if anyone has a solid recommendation for a dealer in the OK / N. TX area?

AM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Jeep
Well, Mike Manley already stated that since they couldn't be ready in time for this past winter/spring auto shows and Easter Jeep Safari...he is almost certainly going to instead aim for the L.A. Auto Show which occurs at the end of this year. So, I would not expect any reveal information whatsoever until Fall 2017, at the earliest.
I'm sorry, but I feel that is a bunch of BS on FCA's part and not so much yours WXman. It is painfully stupid how long they keep dragging this JL launch out. We are not asking them to throw a bunch of JLs and JLUs into showrooms next week, for us to drive away with, in the middle of final testing or PP assembly.

Just simply press launch, utilizing location shoot photography of PP builds or late prototypes or even computer-generated imagery of the JL. Everybody does this, no reason why FCA can't do the debut and then sales launch 6 months later.

Only Honda does these lame last minute reveals, but even at that a genuine preview is at least given months beforehand (save for new Accord) in the form of a "concept". Back in January 2005, they showed the Jeep Gladiator, hinting at the final JK design chosen back in May 2003.

Considering that the JK was revealed respectively on January 9, 2006 and April 12, 2006, yet barely went into production on August 28, 2006 and on sale on October 6, 2006, there is no reason why we should still be waiting to see this vehicle. The JK design freeze was in early 2004 (spring/mid-2003 approval), comparatively JL final design approval was in 2014.

Jeep Wrangler JL So what's a realistic time frame for FCA to lock down the JL reveal date? {filename}

Every generation of Jeep Wrangler since 1986, had been presented in the 6th calendar year of each decade (January 1996 for TJ and early 2006 for JK), yet now the JL already managed to miss a late 2016 launch and is already at early 2018. FCA has no excuse to be withholding info on this vehicle, other than to drum up extra suspense and push people into remaining JKs, that otherwise would've gone for a JL instead of a JK.

Hiding it longer is not going to deny Ford the privilege of getting advance info for their T6 Bronco.

I reluctantly skipped buying a Wrangler at this point, as I'd had always liked the late TJs (2004-06) and 3.6 JKs, but at this point had realized it would be senseless to consider a new JK when a redesign is coming up. Naturally one would've hoped to see this thing by now to help with long-term decision making, but now I have to discard it entirely in having to make a decision this month on my next vehicle.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Billy

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
FCA has no excuse to be withholding info on this vehicle, other than to drum up extra suspense and push people into remaining JKs, that otherwise would've gone for a JL instead of a JK.
Exactly...

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
No point in slowing down JK sales for the reveal if timing of reveal won't make a difference for JL sales. I'm just curious to see how they plan on selling the JK side-by-side with the JL if the JL isn't getting price increases.. They can't cut the JK price that significantly, can they?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
FCA has no excuse to be withholding info on this vehicle, other than to drum up extra suspense and push people into remaining JKs, that otherwise would've gone for a JL instead of a JK.
Exactly...
However, what's their motivation to release it early?

If they had launch in Detroit in January, but the production schedule remained the same, that would mean months of people bitching and moaning about them not producing them. It doesn't change the game for them, it would just mean less posturing and free press by people guessing and anticipating. How many articles in Truck Trend, Jalopnik, 4Wheeler, etc have there been from 'sightings' and leaks/reveals?
What benefit is there in launching almost a year ahead of availability, unkess they needed to justify a corporate buy in to invest in a new product (ie Toyota FJ, Ford Bronco, etc) that need to drum up support in order to simply exist.

The launch will be close to the start of sales, likely with a two (or even three) phase launch - with the first for enthusiasts, press and the passionate who would be most likely to buy as soon as the order banks open I expect that launch right around the premiere evnt for these folks...in Vegas... SEMA Oct31-Nov3 likely with a Press Event on the 29th or 30th to dominate the discussions; second launch would likely be a few days before /after availability for the masses to generate interest and visits to dealerships, this would likely happen near the Thanksgiving period in the US with a campaign right through to Xmas & New Year's, a third phase might be a big time promo at Super Bowl, FCA did a good job at this year's Super Bowl with their new advertiser, and I expect the same next year playing up the heritage, fraternity, and 'Murica themes they focused on with last years campaign.

I think September is too early, and wastes hype allowing it to die down long before people can even start ordering one, whereas Oct29+ puts it almost exactly 2 weeks from the first day of production, and just about when we expect the order banks to open (even if the order banks opened a week or two before the official launch, likely every available slot would already be full before launch).

To me, a September launch wastes value anticipation and free press hype, a late October launch is perfect timing for a product you can even have produced, let alone see in a show rookm before mid-Novemeber.

AM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Jeep
There are people that might have considered it on their short-list, but not the same for the aging JK. Not everyone is interested in waiting one model year for "safe bets" on build quality concerns. September 1st reveal is not too early, considering that typically many vehicles are showcased well ahead of market launch.

FCA are the ones that decided to run the JK for another model year, to what benefit exactly? Just squeeze more profits out of an 11 1/2 year old vehicle? I don't really care about that, JK sales already have an extra year plus to benefit from. Tooling has long been paid for by now.

If a September launch wastes "value anticipation", then clearly everyone else in the industry has been doing it wrong.

When there are other brands showing new models 1 1/2 years before launch (which is excessive), 4-6 months is hardly a big deal and very typical. This vehicle should've been here last year, as all other Wrangler generations had 9-10 year life-cycles. Not 11 and 1/2 years. This isn't the pre-Internet age, where cars were unveiled right at dealership launch in the fall (like in the '50s).

Unfortunately for FCA, not everyone is a diehard Wrangler fan or current owner, that is willing to wait in some aspects for launch and will move along to whatever is feasible to lease or finance in the meantime. That doesn't mean a JK will suffice for such individuals. I am well aware there are not really any direct competitors right now, but it doesn't mean some potential customers aren't also shopping in other categories and by then by chance, have to discard it as a lone choice due to lack of info on it.

Advanced reveals help to allow consumers know about a product that will be in the marketplace within months and hopefully affect their product buying decisions. An NAIAS debut might have helped with that, but that doesn't mean I suggested it was the best solution. NYIAS in April or Easter Safari could've been a good time (still a little early), but what would've been wrong with a private JL unveiling event held in July? It doesn't necessarily have to be an auto show, which likely won't be the case in the end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billy

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
FCA are the ones that decided to run the JK for another model year, to what benefit exactly? Just squeeze more profits out of an 11 1/2 year old vehicle?
There are a few ludites out there who will choose the JK over the JL, but most likely the JKs produced after the JL release will go to other "emerging" markets.
Sponsored