So the question was “why do you need a fire extinguisher on your Jeep?!”

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
And....that video was discussed in the thread you are referencing.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Expended his fire extenguisher too.. plus most of his drinking water on the flame... but in retrospect water is bad to use on an oil fire.

OP
OP
Shooting or Jeeping

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
And....that video was discussed in the thread you are referencing.
Well, for other reasons that thread was culled. I just thought it was worth it’s own view. Crazy deal. I’ve actually be out on those trails and it really is isolated. I would have kept the water, but man- hard to let a 50k vehicle go if it would be saved by $2 worth of bottled water. . .

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Actually, successfully extinguishing the fire is a worst-case scenario. You'd have a fire on the CarFax (i.e. HUGE loss of value) and then have to potentially wait months for a repair. If the vehicle is fully consumed by the fire, it's totaled and you get a check that you can immediately spend on a new vehicle.

Time you might have spent fiddling with the fire extinguisher, you should probably spend retrieving any personal belongings that are not replaceable.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, successfully extinguishing the fire is a worst-case scenario. You'd have a fire on the CarFax (i.e. HUGE loss of value) and then have to potentially wait months for a repair. If the vehicle is fully consumed by the fire, it's totaled and you get a check that you can immediately spend on a new vehicle.
That's also assuming you have a good enough insurance plan to cover things like freak accidents while offroading.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
That's also assuming you have a good enough insurance plan to cover things like freak accidents while offroading.
If not, hire a shady wrecker driver (there are MANY of these) to drag the smoldering carcass to the nearest public road before you file your claim. If you get caught, insurance fraud is a white collar crime, so you just get to drink toilet wine with guys like Paul Manafort, Michael Cohen, etc. for a couple years.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If not, hire a shady wrecker driver (there are MANY of these) to drag the smoldering carcass to the nearest public road before you file your claim.
This is true! :cwl:

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Jeez. The guy used a fire extinguisher, dirt, and water. Didn't work. Auto fires are hard to put out.
Sponsored