Sponsored

So...should I get a JK (JL simply not being delivered in Canada)?

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I'm not sure what trim you're looking for, but I just did a quick search on Autotrader.ca and found 95 new/used/certified pre-owned Rubicons (2019-2021) across the country. Both 2 door and 4 door models are available.

If I narrow the search down to only NEW vehicles, the number drops to 25. There's a Sarge Green 4 door Rubicon ($68,845) in Saint-LĂ©onard and a Black 2 door Rubicon ($59,099) in Dollard-Des Ormeaux.
Oh, I don't want a Rubicon, I don't want it 4-door and I want it manual.

That shrinks to not a lot, ain't it. Plus, regulations between provinces are kind of a mess and it can be a headache to buy outside of Quebec.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
wow, I got banned on the Gladiator forum for a month for talking "politics" about California wild fires. Guess rules aren't applied equally to Canada lol. Much love for Canada here, but to answer your question without offending the almighty Jay (hopefully), no Austin isn't Texas lol.
That was a rhetorical question. I know Austin is kind of its own world in Texas. :)

But you're right, regulations aren't apply the same way from provinces to provinces.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Don’t be afraid of shopping in other provinces, Alberta seems to have a decent selection that you could have shipped out to you
Actually, regulations are quite the headache with Quebec's SAAQ. Not that easy.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, I don't want a Rubicon, I don't want it 4-door and I want it manual.

That shrinks to not a lot, ain't it. Plus, regulations between provinces are kind of a mess and it can be a headache to buy outside of Quebec.
Sounds like you are stuck within a pool of inventory significantly smaller than the Canadian market itself.

Now I understand why it takes 7 months to get a factory order.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Sounds like you are stuck within a pool of inventory significantly smaller than the Canadian market itself.

Now I understand why it takes 7 months to get a factory order.
As soon as you check the 6MT box, you're in for a hell of a waiting list. Get the ZF box and you'll shave off 2-3 months of that waiting period.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As soon as you check the 6MT box, you're in for a hell of a waiting list. Get the ZF box and you'll shave off 2-3 months of that waiting period.
I guess my point is, if Quebec indeed places so many barriers to trading vehicles in and out of the province, you are really looking at a market of only 8.5 million people.

No automaker is going to prioritize production for a market that small. That is just too tiny.

When you add manual transmission into the equation, you are only aggravating a pre-existing condition, sort of speak.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
I guess my point is, if Quebec indeed places so many barriers to trading vehicles in and out of the province, you are really looking at a market of only 8.5 million people.

No automaker is going to prioritize production for a market that small. That is just too tiny.

When you add manual transmission into the equation, you are only aggravating a pre-existing condition, sort of speak.
Quebec is a funny market. People slowly but surely move to SUVs and CUVs, but only because USA is moving the same way. If Quebec had a say, you'd have 4 million green Subies, half a million electric cars, another million Golfs and the rest would be split equally.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Quebec is a funny market. People slowly but surely move to SUVs and CUVs, but only because USA is moving the same way. If Quebec had a say, you'd have 4 million green Subies, half a million electric cars, another million Golfs and the rest would be split equally.
The shift from cars to SUVs is a global phenomenon. It is happening in Europe, Latin America and Asia.

Having said that, 90% of what we call an "SUV" these days is in reality an AWD car with a rear hatch. The reason today's SUV ride and handle like a car, and achieve 40 MPG, is because they are essentially a car underneath.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
The shift from cars to SUVs is a global phenomenon. It is happening in Europe, Latin America and Asia.

Having said that, 90% of what we call an "SUV" these days is in reality an AWD car with a rear hatch. The reason today's SUV ride and handle like a car, and achieve 40 MPG, is because they are essentially a car underneath.
That's if and when they're actually AWD CUVs. Take the Hyundai Venue or the Nissan Kicks, for example. Not available in AWD versions in Quebec. What good is it for? Your guess is as good as mine. And they sell the crap out of them...
Sponsored