Sponsored

So my new JLUR has scratches on the rollbar. What to do?

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
They didn't notice at PDI but when I removed the hardtop i found a bunch of scratches (couple good ones to the metal). They want to take the jeep for 4 days to remove the roll bar from the jeep and then paint the bad area and put it back in. Now isn't the paint thats on the jeep now baked in? Wouldn't a repaint not be as strong? I am in little bit of a dilemma. Would almost want to have them just touch up the areas and then have FCA buy me some roll bar covers for the back.

Anyone got any thoughts on this.
Sponsored

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
sorry to hear about the issue, that sucks for sure. IMO from other vehicles and painting, most non-factory paint doesn't hold up as well. however on the roll bar, it shouldn't matter as much because it isn't the same as your front bumper or grill taking on rocks well driving that it has to hold up against. If it was me, I would let them do whatever they say the fix is, at the dealers/FCA expense. Considering the location, I don't think it will be an issue as long as done correctly.

OP
OP
Twistedfab

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
sorry to hear about the issue, that sucks for sure. IMO from other vehicles and painting, most non-factory paint doesn't hold up as well. however on the roll bar, it shouldn't matter as much because it isn't the same as your front bumper or grill taking on rocks well driving that it has to hold up against. If it was me, I would let them do whatever they say the fix is, at the dealers/FCA expense. Considering the location, I don't think it will be an issue as long as done correctly.
So the other thing that worries me is they have to take the roll bar out. They could scratch the body paint (then I will be pissed) or damage something else. This dang thing is a week old.

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
So the other thing that worries me is they have to take the roll bar out. They could scratch the body paint (then I will be pissed) or damage something else. This dang thing is a week old.
yeah I can understand that as well... best bet is take photos and video of every body piece inside and out. Around the bolted areas too, and let them resolve it. I still say your best bet if you want it fixed, if to allow them to do so. just CYA

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
It’s a Jeep thing :muscle:

Less than 24 hours after taking delivery, I let my partner drive it. He intentionally drove off the road and ran over a bunch of shit and a large stick got caught / stuck in a cross member. We drove it to an ice cream place where I unwedged the stick. He’s obviously not allowed to drive it anymore.

Anyway, he took a picture and sent it to a Jeep friend of ours and she said “who cares, it’s a Jeep”.

So, who cares .. it’s a jeep. :movember:

(PS: Part of me does sympathize though. Good luck!)

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I think you're darn lucky the Dealer didn't blame it on you for when you removed the top!! If they are doing it under warranty DO IT!!

Ya it's a Jeep but it was lotsa $$$ so let them fix it the paint will be fine! Warn them about "more scratches" doing the job just to keep em thinkin'! Good Luck

Go Jeep!!!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Anyway, he took a picture and sent it to a Jeep friend of ours and she said “who cares, it’s a Jeep”.

So, who cares .. it’s a jeep. :movember:
That’s one thing people say that really gets me off. Just because it’s a Jeep, doesn’t mean it has bullet proof paint or it somehow uses some magical metallurgy that doesn’t break down or rust, nor does it somehow has some fairytale transmission that you can just drive like you stole it. Just because it’s a Jeep doesn’t mean it doesn’t depreciates in value when you wreck it or somehow doesn’t cost money to fix it. People have this weird logic associated with Jeeps. A Jeep is still bound by laws of physics like every other vehicles on the road. :headbang:

Reminds me of the time my gf drove my Jeep, and she puts it in reverse while it’s still rolling in drive, and resulted in vehicle jerking to a halt with a nasty metal on metal grind. She just shrugged and said “who cares it’s a Jeep” :headbang:. That was the last time she was allowed to touch the Jeep.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
That’s one thing people say that really gets me off. Just because it’s a Jeep, doesn’t mean it has bullet proof paint or it somehow uses some magical metallurgy that doesn’t break down or rust, nor does it somehow has some fairytale transmission that you can just drive like you stole it. Just because it’s a Jeep doesn’t mean it doesn’t depreciates in value when you wreck it or somehow doesn’t cost money to fix it. People have this weird logic associated with Jeeps. A Jeep is still bound by laws of physics like every other vehicles on the road. :headbang:
What it means is that no one expects shiny spotless paint on a Jeep. Patina and scratches and such add character, this isn’t a vehicle you wash with diapers thrice weekly to keep it spotless.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
What it means is that no one expects shiny spotless paint on a Jeep. Patina and scratches and such add character, this isn’t a vehicle you wash with diapers thrice weekly to keep it spotless.
Read my second paragraph:

Reminds me of the time my gf drove my Jeep, and she puts it in reverse while it’s still rolling in drive, and resulted in vehicle jerking to a halt with a nasty metal on metal grind. She just shrugged and said “who cares it’s a Jeep” :headbang:. That was the last time she was allowed to touch the Jeep.

Don’t care what people say, just because it’s a Jeep, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be cared for and well maintained. I paid my hard earned money for a vehicle I love, I’m going to damn well take good care of it.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
It does suck. In all honesty, if it was me, I'd just slap some 20-dollar Mopar touch-up on it (the little touch-up wands even come with a bit of clear coat) and call it a day.

And, well, that was me lol my roll bar is scratched to hell at this point from all kinds of stuff. And my tailgate. If you get close it's a horror show of touch-up paint lol

Sponsored

OP
OP
Twistedfab

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn’t have minded if I did it. Sh%t happens. But when it comes from the factory that way it pisses me off. These things aren’t cheap.

Guess I will have them repaint it.

They scrapped up the back plastic by the speaker also. Have a call to the dealer on that one.

B3arnaked

First Name
christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I wouldn’t have minded if I did it. Sh%t happens. But when it comes from the factory that way it pisses me off. These things aren’t cheap.

Guess I will have them repaint it.

They scrapped up the back plastic by the speaker also. Have a call to the dealer on that one.
I scratched mine today removing the soft top and putting it back on. I mean complete removal.

B176090A-E8B6-4D45-A0F0-F14CE011B7C9.jpeg

9F2DF972-1D2E-4B22-9E3C-6D16F1227836.png

C6AFE059-DDA0-4D93-B3DC-864357F716ED.jpeg

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
That’s one thing people say that really gets me off. Just because it’s a Jeep, doesn’t mean it has bullet proof paint or it somehow uses some magical metallurgy that doesn’t break down or rust, nor does it somehow has some fairytale transmission that you can just drive like you stole it.
wait - you mean the unicorn tears transmission fluid and fearless ferrous frame parts are just dealer BS?!?!?

So disappointing. Next you tell me the muffler bearings aren't lifetime and require service and the blinker fluid isn't fully synthetic. I'm crestfallen. Guess I'll have to sell it to Carvana...
Sponsored