Threads
Reaction score
Website
heraglobaltech.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab Punk'n
Occupation
Engineer
Walked out to the garage where I park my Jeep while I'm at work. Noticed that somehow, my hood was damaged. There are two medium sized dents in the hood.

They are a little hard to see in the picture.

I have no idea how this could have happened. But, I am looking for recommendations on how to fix it. Thoughts? Thanks so much!

IMG_20191002_144819_01.jpg
Sponsored

Jeep007

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
A PDR guy should easily be able to fix that for you. I’ve used them in the past they do great work. Comes out looking as good as new. Prices vary but probably around $150.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Walked out to the garage where I park my Jeep while I'm at work. Noticed that somehow, my hood was damaged. There are two medium sized dents in the hood.

They are a little hard to see in the picture.

I have no idea how this could have happened. But, I am looking for recommendations on how to fix it. Thoughts? Thanks so much!

IMG_20191002_144819_01.jpg
Looks like someone got a little too emotional on the Moab..
Dashcam with parking mode would have helped in this case..

This is why I have 3 cameras in the Jeep, locking gas caps, AND a hood lock soon, I get a lot of spiteful stares from neighbors when you driving around a Punk'n Jeep.. as they poke out of their beat up Corollas.

Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
Sorry to hear but I think pdr would work as well since no crease in dent.

This happened to the hood on one of mine at work as well. I can't even imagine how that could happen. I only drive a 200k+ milage beater to work these days.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
3 cameras? Front, rear and..... Inside? Are they weather proof? Do you leave them up when you're running topless/doorless?
Yes, You got it.
I only run with Sunrider for hardtop , so I don't have to worry about going completely topless, but shouldn't have any issue with going doorless though.

OP
OP
balan

balan

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Website
heraglobaltech.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab Punk'n
Occupation
Engineer
Ag
Looks like it came from an impact.

My first guess would be to try a paintless dent repair place.
Agreed that it must have been an impact. One of the weird things is that the dent lines up almost perfectly with the solenoid installed near my battery. There is no evidence that the inner liner touched anything after the impact (no marks on it).

My dad used to have a dent puller, but I'm thinking I'd try a professional for this. Thanks for pointing out there are professionals!

sdynak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
Agree with others.. those PDR guys can take care of that like it never happened. Sorry to hear about this. If you ever find out how it happened please do let us know. Hope it all works out in the end.

Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Ag

My dad used to have a dent puller, but I'm thinking I'd try a professional for this. Thanks for pointing out there are professionals!
A dent puller and PDR tools are totally different. The PDR guy will setup a reflection board and work the dent from behind with various push tools. He may use a glue puller if there is no access to the rear of the panel, but it's a last resort.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Isnt the hood aluminum? If so, i dont think a PDR will work. It doesnt have the memory that steel has. That will take some pulling and body work i think

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Isnt the hood aluminum? If so, i dont think a PDR will work. It doesnt have the memory that steel has. That will take some pulling and body work i think
You are correct that the hood is aluminum and aluminum doesn't have memory like steel. However, you can still use PDR. It just takes more time as the aluminum doesn't remember the shape it had. You have to push a bit harder and the aluminum doesn't stay quite where you pushed it.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

You are correct that the hood is aluminum and aluminum doesn't have memory like steel. However, you can still use PDR. It just takes more time as the aluminum doesn't remember the shape it had. You have to push a bit harder and the aluminum doesn't stay quite where you pushed it.
Thats along with what i was thinking. Ive had pdr done on my vehicles. Really neat how they can just tap it and it pops back.

I watched some show on tv where they showed the difference in body work on aluminum vs steel. An F150 had a minor dent in the bed and they were “hammering” it back and then it basically looked crumpled reynolds wrap. They said they would have to use bondo(?) to smooth it out. A lot more work to repair.

For the hood, i would think they could mostly pop it back but if you want it to look good, it will require some body work and repaint of the hood.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Screwing with someones parked vehicle is disgustingly petty. Hopefully, it can be squared away and looking like new again. I'd also highly suggest a quality dash cam. Not to be an alarmist, but ive seen and heard of repeat damage after the first was repaired.
Sponsored