So many problems.

Aidencaster

First Name
Anto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU sport
So I dont know where to put this. Its definitely a help post but i have no idea what to do with my jeep. I bought my 2018 jl last year Marchwith 21k km and since about 2 or 3 months after more and more stuff continues to happen.

1. I brought it to the dealership for an engine knock. They determined that it was something with the manifolds and after doing mybresearch after I suggested to check the rollers and camshaft it was apparent that one of the rollers had sheared completely off and messed up one of my pistons. So after 4 weeks at the dealership I got her back and it was fine for about 3 or 4 months. Now this engine knock is back. Help...
2 there is a substantially loud clunk/bang when taking off from a stop in first. I have no idea what it is but it is so loud sometimes you can hear it when the music is on loud.
3. this auto start stop bs that everyone is having. I've tried to do my research with it but to no avail. Whenever it comes on I loose cruise control. And some other things.
4. When breaking to a stop it feels like something is rolling in the breaks or the axel and is noticible through the break pedal. I've crawled underneath and put a wrench on every bolt I could find but everything is tight.

It is a 2018 sport S jl. I have 33s on a 2inch mopar lift. Magna flow exhaust and that's it. I haven't done anything to anything else of the guts.
My main concern is this bang noise from stop and the engine tick. At what point do I just leave it at the dealership and tell them to kick rocks. I love my jeep. I love owning a jeep and being part of jeep communities and having a grown up lego toy. But I am seriously considering to trade it in for another vehicle.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Aidencaster

Aidencaster

First Name
Anto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never thought to replace the control arm bushings. It would make sence if that is causing a possible axle roll when taking off from start.
The exhaust system is sound and nothing is touching anything else.
I am dumbfounded on how many issues I am have been having with a fairly new vehicle. Though it seems as such with many others who own the sport s.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I always worry a used vehicle with low miles was sold or traded because it has problems.

OP
OP
Aidencaster

Aidencaster

First Name
Anto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many have reported loose fuses and relays causing all sorts of problems. Takes only a few minutes to check.
This was one of the first things I checked when I started to have the problem. I will probably go with what texgoat had mentioned and replace both of the batteries in this sense.
I will definitely have a look at the welds. As I stated I have gone under and any bolt i could get a socket on i reefed on. I will probably look into what you said about the co trolls arm bushings. I may just look into some aftermarket control arms period.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Aidencaster

Aidencaster

First Name
Anto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's sad being that I have always wanted to own a jeep since I was knee high to a grasshopper. And this being my first jeep the ammount of problems or on going problems. I'm not sure if I just got a lemon and there are going to be constant problems with my jl in particular. Or if these are things brought on by some of the modifications that were already on it when I bought it. I dont know what the previous owner did to it or how much they bagged on it in the mud. I am leaning towards cutting my losses with it and purchasing a rubicon or getting away from the jeep totally and purchasing something else.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
You said you bought it with 21,000k on the clock. That implies it might have been a demonstrator model. It may have been used by the press and they did all sorts of things with it!

Or you have a lemon. The auto stop start is not related to cruise control!

OP
OP
Aidencaster

Aidencaster

First Name
Anto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You said you bought it with 21,000k on the clock. That implies it might have been a demonstrator model. It may have been used by the press and they did all sorts of things with it!

Or you have a lemon. The auto stop start is not related to cruise control!
Every time the service auto start stop comes up and gives me a warning light. It either kicks me put of cruise control or it wont allow me to initiate cruise control. So weather it's not directly related to it. It does still effect it

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Is it a 3.6 and is it a knock or tick (you mention both)? The Pentastar has had a tick issue. Some JKs had a problem and there was an extended warranty for that engine on some. Don't know if it continued into JL.

The previous owner did some mods? I'd be leary of buying a used modded Wrangler without knowing the quality of the work or materials used.

Reactions: GtX
OP
OP
Aidencaster

Aidencaster

First Name
Anto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it a 3.6 and is it a knock or tick (you mention both)? The Pentastar has had a tick issue. Some JKs had a problem and there was an extended warranty for that engine on some. Don't know if it continued into JL.

The previous owner did some mods? I'd be leary of buying a used modded Wrangler without knowing the quality of the work or materials used.
Yes it's a 3.6 manual. There is a tick coming from somewhere on the serpentine belt. But the knock is coming internally. I've already had it in to the dealer to do the rocker rollers and camshaft.

The privious owner had installed the 2 inch mopar lift with 33s and the magnaflow exhaust. Other than that everything else in it was stock. And I myself haven't done anything else to the guts.

Sponsored

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
It's sad being that I have always wanted to own a jeep since I was knee high to a grasshopper. And this being my first jeep the ammount of problems or on going problems. I'm not sure if I just got a lemon and there are going to be constant problems with my jl in particular. Or if these are things brought on by some of the modifications that were already on it when I bought it. I dont know what the previous owner did to it or how much they bagged on it in the mud. I am leaning towards cutting my losses with it and purchasing a rubicon or getting away from the jeep totally and purchasing something else.
I am in the same boat, my Jeep, which I bought new, has been in the shop about 2-1/2 months; getting tired of making $750 payments for a car I don’t have....

OP
OP
Aidencaster

Aidencaster

First Name
Anto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am in the same boat, my Jeep, which I bought new, has been in the shop about 2-1/2 months; getting tired of making $750 payments for a car I don’t have....
What are the problems you are having. And what is your jeep. Its crappy that I would say about 9/10 new jeep owners dont seem to be having some of these problems with the jl. It must be a bad batch or something
Sponsored