Stevea709

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Recon
Vehicle Showcase
This snuck in under my radar. Man, it's expensive!

What are the "regular" Mopar acoustic glass replacement windshields going for now? They do seem to have improved. My latest one has taken some rock hits and only chipped, unlike the first two.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/gorilla-glass-windshield-replacement-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt

Jeep JL JLU Gorilla Glass Windshield Replacement Mopar.jpg
It would be worth it to me if it came with some sort of decent warranty. I don't expect it to be Bulletproof but it better hold up a hell of a lot better than stock.
Sponsored

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
My issue isn't with cracking so much as the pitting. I drove with a nice sized crack for about 1 1/2 years and I replaced the windshield about 6 months ago due to more growing cracks and the inability to see through it when driving directly into the sun (pitting). My non-OEM has been holding strong with some nasty hits this winter. but the pitting is back and it makes it almost unsafe when driving into the sun. If the GG is so susceptible to scratches I'm sure it would pit easy also which really sucks for finding a decent replacement!

decavolt

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU. Previously: 2016 JK, 1997 TJ.
It would be worth it to me if it came with some sort of decent warranty. I don't expect it to be Bulletproof but it better hold up a hell of a lot better than stock.
I think it will depend on the company that installs it, but the glass co that installed my GG gives it a lifetime warranty for any damage. I'm not sure if that is a MOPAR-backed thing, or just from the glass co.

My issue isn't with cracking so much as the pitting. I drove with a nice sized crack for about 1 1/2 years and I replaced the windshield about 6 months ago due to more growing cracks and the inability to see through it when driving directly into the sun (pitting). My non-OEM has been holding strong with some nasty hits this winter. but the pitting is back and it makes it almost unsafe when driving into the sun. If the GG is so susceptible to scratches I'm sure it would pit easy also which really sucks for finding a decent replacement!
That's a good point too, and I'm not sure if GG has more issues with pitting. The GG on my JK hasn't pitted at all yet. The GG warranty should cover that though.

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
With 15,000 miles on my 2020 JLU, I've already had one full replacement and a follow-up visit from Safelite to repair a big chip/crack that wasn't large enough to warrant a new windshield. Total cost: $50. Good insurance helps. But I would rather not have to worry.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
I'm waiting on the ALON replacement windshield for the Jeep. It worked in Star Trek. :fingerscrossed:

(ALON is the name given to transparent aluminum)

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
for those that were complaining about the GG windshield scratching easy/easier, you might be interested to know that the outer layer of the glass isn't the fancy Corning stuff, it's just like regular windshield glass.

it's the inner layer that's different, and that's what helps provide the better support that (allegedly) helps eliminate cracks.

"Outer layer Soda Lime Glass, Acoustic PVB Interlayer, Inner layer Corning® Gorilla® Glass"

Hard Rock Jeep

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR HR, 2022 JLUR 2.0, 2022 JLUR Diesel
for heavens sake, what in the world came over you. Any windshield would scratch with that crap on the windshield. If it’s so bad you can’t see, get out and clean it. I hope it’s not to bad that’s an expensive lesson. Looks like you got to exercise your 4 wheel system. How did it do? 😎
Yes, you are confirming what we found out 🤔. As to how it drove, we were behind a TJ and it looked like he was in a rear wheel drive car, slipping and sliding. I am sure we looked the same. I hate mud. Give me rocks any day.

gijohn56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
OT........They were wrong on the ball joints, at least for the Rubicon. I'm at 41k and they are doing fine. I expect them to go 85-90k. That's when the JKUR ball joints failed and I replaced them with Synergy. But point well taken, and true!

I still hope the JL ball joints are at least a little better and get to 100k. I do know that in my JL, they have more off-road miles on them at 41k than my JK did when I replaced them, so I think that's a good sign. It has seen more and harder off-roading in its first 3 years than my JK saw in its first 6 to 8 years. Plus, it has done so with larger, heavier tires.
I just replaced my ball joints on my 2020 JLURD at 22k miles. I went with the dynatrac rebuildable ball joints that are heavy duty!!!

My windshield cracked at 3 week mark when some dumbass playing with her phone went off the side of the road and kicked up rocks.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just replaced my ball joints on my 2020 JLURD at 22k miles. I went with the dynatrac rebuildable ball joints that are heavy duty!!!

My windshield cracked at 3 week mark when some dumbass playing with her phone went off the side of the road and kicked up rocks.
Wow, 22k. Worn out or just going for a strong upgrade? OUCH! Are the Dynatracs greaseable?

Sponsored

gijohn56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Wow, 22k. Worn out or just going for a strong upgrade? OUCH! Are the Dynatracs greaseable?
Yes they are greaseable and rebuildable. My old ones where worn out. I installed 37 inch tires just 7k miles before they blew out.

The dynatrac are expensive $629 for all 4 but the rebuild is only $159 well worth it to me.

LoveBugJL

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2012 JLU Shara
I'm still sitting on my original windshield that had a crack horizontally through the middle. My quotes have ranged from $600-900 to replace. I may wait a bit until the summer to replace it with this gorilla glass, see what prices are like then.
I've had mine replaced once. My insurance had an OEM windshield installed at my house for the $50 Glass claim deductible. Pretty painless, and since I'm working from home now, I'm not driving my Jeep many miles so I will probably have this windshield a while before it breaks the next time.

huyfishin

First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.huyfishin.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Paint Protection Film Installer and Glass tinter

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I can't get glass coverage through USAA in Denver... Found a place that installed the Gorilla Glass for me for just under $1,000. Thankfully, I have not had any rocks thrown my direction yet. The windshield has all the OEM dots, Easter Egg, and Gorilla label on it so it looks factory.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
I did this on mine. OEM windshielf lasted 35000 miles till I got a major rock and crack.
Installed mine yesterday. Got it on PERFECT and then it needed to be cleaned at the very end. Well something must have gotten under my squeegee and it scratched the living crap out of it across the passenger line of sight.🤦😭

Going to leave it on for now, because we leave on Saturday for a Ouray and Moab vacation. However I 100% will be ordering a new one when we get back.
Sponsored