wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Go to the old school bath house and Al Capone’s saloon in Hot Springs!
we only spent an hour or so on the trails and then headed to Hot Springs AR. We are trying to miss the bad weather that is forecasted to come in. We need to come back and spend a few days and enjoy the whole area. It was sad leaving here so soon.
Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Godspeed. Hoping we may see you all in west Texas soon–
We will be in East Texas on Friday. Stop and visit some friends for a couple days and then work our way down to padre Island. Then work our way to West Texas. So West Texas is about a week to a week and a half out. If you are interested in meeting up and wheeling or camping let me know and we can try and set something up.

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
we only spent an hour or so on the trails and then headed to Hot Springs AR. We are trying to miss the bad weather that is forecasted to come in. We need to come back and spend a few days and enjoy the whole area. It was sad leaving here so soon.
Where Bugsy Siegel learned the gambling business before he opened Vegas.

Two bath houses are still in operation. One is a modern spa, but I recommend the old school one (no appointments / gender segregation).

Saloons are across the street.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
sounds like an awesome trip!

looks like two of your trailers are an Intech and an E-pro. Thoughts on either so far? Intech is on my short list of possible purchases.
I am not a fan. We call it the coffin camper. By the time you build a sleeping platform so that you can have some storage, you can’t sit upright in it. No sleeping platform, you lay on the floor and have no storage. No inverter, no TV, wimpy stereo, no water tank, just a box on wheels. The good thing is it tows easy because it sits lower than the Jeep roof line. It was$1200 more than the E-Pro.

The E-Pro has a microwave, a sink, an inverter, tv, stereo, digital tv antenna, Wi-Fi booster, has more ground clearance, better wiring, more power ports, 22 gallons of fresh water, more storage, a fridge, and counter space to cook on. There is three times as much head room in it.
They both tow easy. They both have been trouble free. We will do a walk around on each camper soon.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Once you get close to the border, watch your vehicles and gear closely. Always have someone awake in camp at night. I never travel south of San Antonio without a pistol anymore. The people crossing from Mexico are a different type lately.

Which route are you taking through Texas?
What about the safety on Padre Island?

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Hi,

You're missing a really cold day in Michigan, and 40mph winds, hope you have safe travels, not sure when you're going to be in Alaska, but me and the wife are supposed to be up there for a cruise in June I think, should have happened in 2020.

Hopefully I will get my 22 JLUR by then, either way glad someone can enjoy that long of a outing/vacation, enjoy, sounds like a once in a lifetime trip.

Regards,
Jim
Imlay City MI
we may take an cruise to Alaska also in July to get a week or so out of the campers. Before we drive to Alaska.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Our son is on the border near Del Rio with the National Guard. Apparently folks come from all over the world: asian, middle eastern, south and central american. Few Europeans as I understand it. Perhaps he cannot share some interactions, though what he has has been friendly. Folks literally looking for a new, better life. Makes me feel like I won the lottery being born here in the United States.

I have back packed solo Big Bend NP and Big Bend Ranch SP, as well as tent camped in Big Bend Ranch SP with our kids a number of times. Always had positive interactions, though infrequent, with locals and those crossing.

I have never worked in the prison system, though expect whatever weapon you have, or don't, you are prepared for any encounters—
We are great at dealing with conflict, but even better at resolving conflict. We always say brains first, force at the lowest level possible.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Looks like a beautiful start to a grand adventure. Be Safe and enjoy the trip! Side note, sunrise is considered blue hour ;-)
Yeah, a mistake on my part.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
We made it to Hop Springs ORV park about 7 pm. Set up camp ate some dinner and are now off to bed. Looking forward to some great wheeling tomorrow. May spend a couple days here..

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
North or South? Padre Island Natl Seashore, on North Padre is one of the great last quiet and undeveloped stretches of beach on the Gulf Coast, you will have no issues there except from rattlesnakes and coyotes.

South Padre is developed at the southern tip, then gets desolate as you go north. It has more traffic, but you should have no problems.

The more dangerous part of the border starts around Roma, Texas at the northern end of the Metro area in the Rio Grande Valley and extends up past Laredo, Eagle Pass and on up to Del Rio. The land is flat and semi arid. Easy to cross the river and easy to hide.

At Del Rio, once you get past Amistad Lake Natl Recreation Area, the landscape quickly turns to hash Chihuahuan Desert. The crossings will be far less numerous when you get to that point and farther west, but you will still encounter the occasional migrant. DO NOT STOP for them. If they are flagging you, call the Border Patrol and note where you saw them. Most don’t want contact with Americans. Those who do are suspect.

Buy the time you reach Marathon, you will see the mountains ahead. It’s a vast desolate area. Make sure you have water, fuel and spare tires.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Padre Island NS is not a crossing path in my limited experience. Beautiful dispersed camping, we love the National Seashore; Mustang Island SP for less self contained camping, too—

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
So many years in planning and preparing Jeeps and Campers. We left yesterday and drove for almost 600 miles. Made it to the Land Between the Lakes in Kentucky. Camped on the lakeshore and woke up to this.

who wants coffee?
E412F19F-36BE-46FE-B3BB-04272E160E05.jpeg

The sunrise/golden hour did not disappoint.
E4F8EFE5-C79E-4B6E-B306-5CEE17096E26.jpeg

146E8F6B-25D1-4870-A72D-F5AC7957319D.jpeg

7533D4E3-11EB-4840-9727-87428965EC89.jpeg

F5BDB628-84A2-4968-8796-CD241400C771.jpeg
AE203C7C-66A7-4B11-801F-B47281A5F78F.jpeg

1DAD3DAF-11C5-485F-9B98-F22BD5BB94C4.jpeg
7533D4E3-11EB-4840-9727-87428965EC89.jpeg
Now that’s a view to wake up to.

more to come. We will wheel the badge trails today, before heading to Hot Springs Arkansas.

8198019A-E657-4D3A-8CC8-D3FFEFEB4D63.jpeg
Ted, I am only a few years out from this.I sure hope you have a great time. It looks like something I can only wish in a few years. Enjoy and have the time of your life. You only have one chance .

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
Hey my friend, I was just about to warn you about the weather. Looks like you took care of that. LBL definitely seems to get some winter weather when others around don't.

But, you are definitely around my neck of the woods. As I'm in the Memphis area. If y'all have any issues feel free to PM me & I will give you my number.

While in Hot springs, there are a lot of trails around in the Ouachita & Ozark Forests. Great fishing, if you like to do that.

I can't wait to see some pictures, especially the Alaska part. My wife & I was there end of August-First week September. Went fishing out of Homer & Seward & on the Kenai River, road the Denali Star train with glass roof from Anchorage to Denali State Park & did a Jeep adventure tour. It was the best 2 weeks of our lives. Would love to Jeep through Alaska. That would be awesome!

Be safe & take care & if you need anything while near Memphis, just let me know.
:like:

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
we may take an cruise to Alaska also in July to get a week or so out of the campers. Before we drive to Alaska.
A great option: Take the Inland Passage ferry from Bellingham, WA, to Haines, AK (3 1/2 day trip when we did it), then drive from there to where you want to visit in Alaska. Recommend making the main triangle of roads that takes you over to Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula, up to Denali and on to Fairbanks (and pop up the Arctic Circle, 150 miles north of Fairbanks on the Elliott and Dalton Highways, then back down to Delta Junction where you can hit the Alaska Highway and head home to the US via Yukon Territory, BC, and Montana, etc. That is an incredible trip and totally worth the time.
Sponsored