Sponsored

So is there a real issue with the Tazer Mini?

Osinski

First Name
Jose Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6 Hella Yella
I have the Tazer JL lite and when I first set it up a couple of weeks ago all I changed was the tire size to 37.055 and turned on the ESS setting. After I was done I shut off the Jeep to watch how long it took before everything shut off and like WranglerMan said above it was about 45 seconds until the red Tazer light was no longer blinking. Up until today it has been flawless and a great addition to the Jeep...

I run my tires at 30 PSI and haven't change the TMPS limit so today I figured it was time to change it. After the change I did the same thing as before, shut the Jeep off and waiting to see how long the Tazer would blink. Well the dash and the lights next to the gearshift stayed on and would not shut off. They would cycle where the main dash light would go off, then the gearshift lights would blink, then the dash would come back on, and then Tazer would start blinking. The entire cycle would take maybe 15 seconds and start over. Also, there was a noise from the engine compartment or under the Jeep that sounded like a solenoid or a relay was activating on each cycle. It was very faint but could hear it on each cycle. I haven't investigated that noise further but plan to.

I was worried that the Tazer had just screwed something up and kinda still am at this point but after letting it sit for 10+ minutes everything ended up shutting off. I checked it at around the 5min mark and the light/dash/Tazer were still going. I can't say exactly how long it took to shutoff but I have been out to look at it a couple of times and everything is still off. Something has definitely changed and not knowing what/why is kinda frustrating.

The one other issue that came up was it not saying the tire pressure was set even though it did set it. I did see it say it once but not any of the other times I tried it. I tried it multiple times and it was a no go. I even seen a "try again" message a few times while trying it. Not the biggest deal because it did actually set it but anything that doesn't work like you expect it to is cause for a wtf moment.

When this all went down I ended up un-marrying and removing the Tazer to see if anything was different. The Jeep actually did the same thing. I don't know what to say at this point because I know what happened when I first programmed it and that was reinforced by WranglerMan's comments above so maybe this is normal, maybe not, but with the issues that some Tazer owners have been having there are growing concerns that something is up with this thing.
I had the same issue. And still having it...
I'm looking for a solution.
I have fused two main batteries and one auxiliar battery....
Sponsored

Osinski

First Name
Jose Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6 Hella Yella
@EZMFE there are a few articles about Uconnect and they state the Uconnect can go into a cycle loop and not shut down and I have had this happen a few times but it was long ago and I had it happen just yesterday and I can tell you and be honest about it that it happened with and with a Tazer installed, currently my Tazer is married and I just have a few vehicle settings changed but am utilizing no live settings so thentazer is unplugged so now I will see what happens long term and go from there.
Each time that the Uconnect wake-up, is taking 16Amps. from the battery. In only a single night, the battery is dead...

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Not much to add other than zero issues with the Mini. However, I have a Sport S with the UConnect 3 5". No cellular access, no navigation, satellite or over-the-air updates.

BTW, I've since added a satellite radio that connects directly with the UConnect 3 with a Viatech interface module, but I digress...

I purchased the Tazer JL essentially just to readjust the speedometer for 35" tires and lower the TPMS thresholds. I know I could have purchased the cheaper Lite model, but figured maybe I'd like to try out (and play) with some of it's other features.

However, after more careful consideration, I've decided not to use any of the 'live' features. I'll explain this in better detail shortly.

So after setting the above tire size and pressure calibrations, I disconnected the Mini, leaving it 'married' and replugged in the Security Gateway (SGW) Module.

I totally understand this is not the way the majority of Tazer purchasers [want] to use it. But Captain Obvious here; it can't drain crap let alone the battery if it's not plugged in.

I'm quite certain the UConnect 4 8" inch is just as bad a POS as the 3, maybe even worse. It has more connectivity functionality supporting all the latest Internet provided coolness like navigation and apps such as Carplay. However, like everything though, sophisticated things are complicated with potential side effects.

ZAutomotive (and others) have found a business niche in toying with certain Powertrain Controller variables that the Vehicle Manufacturer (FCA) does not necessarily want mucked with. The Tazer has to find ways to bypass all the nominal security precautions that were put in place to prevent tampering. The two minute reboot process which is required in order to reprogram (reflash) these new values into their non-volatile variables is necessary and can't be avoided. Skipping this step, or interrupting it, can cause the controller to become misconfigured and very likely misbehave.

The security light on the dash is trying to tell you something. Using any product like the Tazer is essentially short-circuiting the normal designed-in calibration and security process. This means that there is inherent risk involved, independent at whatever the programmer sales brochure may say.

I knew this upfront because in a former life I used to develop Powertrain Controller Software for Chrysler. I purchased the Tazer because even though the dealership would officially reprogram the N/V Ratio (speedo) for $125, they are prevented in altering the TPMS thresholds. Since I air down my tires while off-roading, I'm not happy with setting any tell-tale fault codes intentionally. Unfortunately the Tazer will only set a minimum tire pressure of 25psi so airing down to 15psi is setting fault codes anyway.

I like that there are products like the Tazer that gives us consumers more options for the way our Jeeps behave, but it may come at a cost (more than just price). I'm hoping that by 'marrying' the Tazer that it will reliably save the original values of all accessable (rather modifiable) variable calibrations. As long as it can successfully restore the manufactures original settings, I'm willing to play.

Lastly for you Jeepers with the UConnect 4 (over the air) internal cellular access radio, please think twice about leaving the SGW disconnected. This is FCA's (and the automotive industry's) mechanism to prevent remote intrusion to hackers over the built-in, on-board infotainment interface via the vehicle's Controller Area Network (CAN) bus.

I'm sure you've all heard the stories about hackers possibly gaining remote access to certain type of drive-by-wire vehicles. Jeeps are direct steering, but have drive-by-wire throttle and braking components. Especially the higher trim models.

So all 'live' features, while cool, potentially may open a security hole due to a non-intended side-channel access to the vehicle's control bus. I'm not saying this with certainty as an expert (I haven't been in the automotive industry in a while), but I am a Software Engineer and haven't seen any information or legal disclaimers to the contrary (by anybody).

Maybe ZAutomotive (and all the other third-party programmer providers) supply explicit safeguards against this, but their primary objective is to gain access to the vehicle bus network (in order to access and modify internal engine, transmission and body controller variables, not prevent it.

So please be aware of what these programmers provide (and/or probably what they don't).

ZAutomotive, et., al., please don't be angry with me if I'm exposing any trade secrets. I did purchase your product and will give you a favorable review. The Tazer JL Mini indeed does for me what you've advertised.

Jay

Last edited:

damageinc321

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
Hi, I have an 18 rubicon with the standard screen, looking at getting the tazer mini for tire size correction, tpms, back up camera function and sway bar disconnects and locker functionality, are those functions working ok for the guys that run them.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Well, I do not need to test with a voltage meter or read forum posts of guys voltage testing and yada yada...

Can tell you when my Tazer JL Mini is installed, it is pretty much, always awake and talking back and forth with Uconnect. You can watch the red lite on the Tazer JL Mini blink continuously for for a couple of minutes and then it stops for a minute or so and then starts blinking again. This goes on 24 hrs a day, non-stop.

The Mini blinking led light uses little power but the Mini talking back and forth with Uconnect depletes the battery. It's Uconnect, that supposedly wakes up the Mini and then the Mini goes back to sleep (or vice versa) and this scenario repeats over and over, 24 hrs. a day.

IF I do not hook up a battery tender to trickle charge the JL, the JL's batteries deplete. For the record, I have the battery and alternator upgrade on my JL.

I ask other Mini user's to watch their Mini's at night through the JL window and see if your Mini does what mine does. Please do so and report back here. Just let the installed Mini, dangle, down so you can see the blinking light in the dark.

In closing, I have no battery depletion with the Mini unmarried and uninstalled. I never run above 13.5. I just did over 3 weeks with no battery tender usage and no above 13.5....

SO, my deduction is there is an issue in the pairing of the Tazer JL Mini and Tazer JL with the Uconnect. Again, no voltage testing daily, etc. are needed for me to know my battery depletes when theTazer JL is in place.

I'm a fanboy of the Tazer JL and Tazer JL Mini but...............

This makes sense. My old Acura got to where it did not shut off the bluetooth when the ignition was turned off. Slow steady battery depletion until I disconnected the bluetooth. Seems like the same amout of juice would be used during the late night chats between the Tazer and Uconnect. Maybe Joe will get a fix before I get my JL. The Tazer was one of my planned purchases; however, I had planned to wait until they came up with some cool stuff to do specifically for the 4xE. I know he's got yall's money, but if he's following this thread, he's realizing the gravy train is going to stop if they don't fix the comm issue. I know I'm going to keep following it to determine if I'll buy one. I was planning to get the trail cam option too.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This makes sense. My old Acura got to where it did not shut off the bluetooth when the ignition was turned off. Slow steady battery depletion until I disconnected the bluetooth. Seems like the same amout of juice would be used during the late night chats between the Tazer and Uconnect. Maybe Joe will get a fix before I get my JL. The Tazer was one of my planned purchases; however, I had planned to wait until they came up with some cool stuff to do specifically for the 4xE. I know he's got yall's money, but if he's following this thread, he's realizing the gravy train is going to stop if they don't fix the comm issue. I know I'm going to keep following it to determine if I'll buy one. I was planning to get the trail cam option too.
@HungryHound
Do you realize my post you are referring to is 2 yrs. old... The issue I spoke of was remedied long long ago... The issue was taken care of thanks to Joe and his firmware changes/updates.

Careful reading old old forum threads... and if you do.... well, DO read all the way to the end of the thread, then research more, before you come to any nonsensical conclusions.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@HungryHound
Do you realize my post you are referring to is 2 yrs. old... The issue I spoke of was remedied long long ago... The issue was taken care of thanks to Joe and his firmware changes/updates.

Careful reading old old forum threads... and if you do.... well, DO read all the way to the end of the thread, then research more, before you come to any nonsensical conclusions.

So... what was the remedy? Didn't see that in the thread.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Are you still driving your vehicles as much as you had before covid hit?

I ask because now we're all working from home and don't drive anywhere. My subaru battery died after the car sat for about a month. Granted, the battery was about 3 years old. I ended up replacing it and we drive the car about once a week. After it sat in the attached garage for a week while it was 0*f outside, the battery was dead. Now the battery won't hold a full charge after a day. My wife's subaru was also the same where the battery died and had to get it replaced.

I'm wondering if it's less the tazer that's draining the batteries and more the fact that the vehicles aren't being driven like they normally should be. Just something to think about.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you still driving your vehicles as much as you had before covid hit?

I ask because now we're all working from home and don't drive anywhere. My subaru battery died after the car sat for about a month. Granted, the battery was about 3 years old. I ended up replacing it and we drive the car about once a week. After it sat in the attached garage for a week while it was 0*f outside, the battery was dead. Now the battery won't hold a full charge after a day. My wife's subaru was also the same where the battery died and had to get it replaced.

I'm wondering if it's less the tazer that's draining the batteries and more the fact that the vehicles aren't being driven like they normally should be. Just something to think about.
@nU7OuxIx

The fellow / @HungryHound , that dredged up my historical post, talking parasitic draw in regards to the Tazer JL, (which is no longer relevant) does not own a Tazer JL. He just read my old old, outdated post and took it to heart... Again, he does not have a Tazer JL but apparently is contemplating purchase of same some day..

And yes, your comment is spot on.... Covid and little use of a JL/JT... any vehicle... does have a negative impact on the vehicle, especially, but not only, when it comes to batteries..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@HungryHound

Through tweaking of the "firmware", Joe at ZAutomotive was able to greatly minimize, parasitic draw that had been an issue early on, when the Tazer JL was in let's say, it's infancy period.

Firmware for the Tazer JL Lite/Mini is evolving.... a work in progress so to speak.

At ZAutomotive, tweaking, adding features, concerns about parasitic draw, and more, is an everyday, ongoing happening from what I gather, by Joe's public posts on this forum and on Facebook..

The Tazer JL owner is best... if they are going to run with a Tazer JL, to keep up with firmware updates on their Tazer JL and to keep abreast of any lets say current pluses or minuses in regard to firmware they have loaded or are considering loading on their Tazer JL...

Disclaimer: Other then being a very very satisfied, past customer of ZAutomotive and a guy that is pretty Tazer JL, savvy, I have no other relationship with ZAutomotive... nor do I speak on their behalf... nor do I have permission to speak on their behalf.

@joe@zauto

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@HungryHound

Through tweaking of the "firmware", Joe at ZAutomotive was able to greatly minimize, parasitic draw that had been an issue early on, when the Tazer JL was in let's say, it's infancy period.

Firmware for the Tazer JL Lite/Mini is evolving.... a work in progress so to speak.

At ZAutomotive, tweaking, adding features, concerns about parasitic draw, and more, is an everyday, ongoing happening from what I gather, by Joe's public posts on this forum and on Facebook..

The Tazer JL owner is best... if they are going to run with a Tazer JL, to keep up with firmware updates on their Tazer JL and to keep abreast of any lets say current pluses or minuses in regard to firmware they have loaded or are considering loading on their Tazer JL...

Disclaimer: Other then being a very very satisfied, past customer of ZAutomotive and a guy that is pretty Tazer JL, savvy, I have no other relationship with ZAutomotive... nor do I speak on their behalf... nor do I have permission to speak on their behalf.

@joe@zauto
Good to hear. It's too bad that old thread was left unattended. I do tons of research before buying anything including history on quality and customer service.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to hear. It's too bad that old thread was left unattended. I do tons of research before buying anything including history on quality and customer service.
@HungryHound

There are literally hundreds of Tazer JL related posts..

No way could all those threads be "attended to. Best that can be done is when someone dredges up an old old outdated post that someone steps up and sets the record straight so to speak.

YES, prudent to do your homework in regard to stuff you buy, etc..

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@HungryHound

There are literally hundreds of Tazer JL related posts..

No way could all those threads be "attended to. Best that can be done is when someone dredges up an old old outdated post that someone steps up and sets the record straight so to speak.

YES, prudent to do your homework in regard to stuff you buy, etc..
Agreed. Too bad the folks that start threads aren't responsible enough to close the loop. Thanks for the update.

My wife had on 02 WK that did a "light show" on it's own randomly before there was such a thing as an intentional one. Going from a mostly-mechanical TJ to a wizz-bang electronic 4xE has me very nervous without the addition of another aftermarket gadget. I've already resigned myself to the idea of multiple dealer visits. Fingers crossed. Looking forward to crawling with 470 ft-lbs of TQ at my immediate disposal.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I think any device connected to Uconnect or Bluetooth will stay connected and have a small parasitic draw but what on these newer vehicles donā€˜t, i donā€™t run a Tazer anymore as I just did not take advantage of many of its settings and did not want to take the risk so I found other ways to make changes that use zero power after my Jeep is turned off....the single exception to this is my Smart Stop/Start module.

The Tazer JL is an excellent product and has great fast support but this device along with any other connected device all carry a risk and itā€™s up to us to determine if itā€™s features are worth the risk.

Case in point I have a Carlinkit 2.0 wireless CarPlay adapter that connects via BT and once I shut my Jeep down its supposed to power down but lots of times it does not power down but after doing some research the USB port it connects to in my Jeep powers down after 60 mins and this particular device does not draw much so I continue to use it along with my SSS module for the terrible stop/start feature and then I use OBD JSCAN for other things but the OBD BT module for JSCAN I donā€™t leave plugged in plus I put my JL on a weekly battery boost using one of several maintainers but I doubt weekly charges are needed but i want to keep my two full size batteries in my dual Genesis setup at peak charge.
Sponsored