Sponsored

So is there a real issue with the Tazer Mini?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think any device connected to Uconnect or Bluetooth will stay connected and have a small parasitic draw but what on these newer vehicles don‘t, i don’t run a Tazer anymore as I just did not take advantage of many of its settings and did not want to take the risk so I found other ways to make changes that use zero power after my Jeep is turned off....the single exception to this is my Smart Stop/Start module.

The Tazer JL is an excellent product and has great fast support but this device along with any other connected device all carry a risk and it’s up to us to determine if it’s features are worth the risk.

Case in point I have a Carlinkit 2.0 wireless CarPlay adapter that connects via BT and once I shut my Jeep down its supposed to power down but lots of times it does not power down but after doing some research the USB port it connects to in my Jeep powers down after 60 mins and this particular device does not draw much so I continue to use it along with my SSS module for the terrible stop/start feature and then I use OBD JSCAN for other things but the OBD BT module for JSCAN I don’t leave plugged in plus I put my JL on a weekly battery boost using one of several maintainers but I doubt weekly charges are needed but i want to keep my two full size batteries in my dual Genesis setup at peak charge.
Risk of what? I've been running the original Tazer for almost 3 years and other than bugs with certain firmware, have seen no issues. I know the parasitic draw was a thing, but I never noticed it.

The best update has been the wire extension for the bypass. That cured the biggest pain in the arse about the Tazer.
Sponsored

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
..snip..
The best update has been the wire extension for the bypass. That cured the biggest pain in the arse about the Tazer.
wait what ?..
/google...
!!!
purchase

THANK YOU !!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Risk of what? I've been running the original Tazer for almost 3 years and other than bugs with certain firmware, have seen no issues. I know the parasitic draw was a thing, but I never noticed it.

I was one of the original ones that ran a two piece Tazer back in early 2018 and had some issues where it would not go to sleep then I had a dead battery, not sure the Tazer caused the battery issues but none the less my battery was dead so that kinda made me paranoid and updating back then was not as smooth as it is today.

Joe and his group provide top notch support so no issues there but anytime you introduce something like a programmer into the mix and start changing settings in the ECU you run a risk and this applies to any programmer ( Tazer, JSCAN, Flashcal etc...) they all change settings we are not supposed to be changing but hey I’ve done the same with several programmers and so far other than early on have had no issues but we just have to all be aware that there is a risk whether it be from power draw if left in or the program has a bug and does some bad things.

The JL and it’s batteries along with the smart charging system is already a poor design so I wanted to reduce my risk the best that I could so I started looking and what needed to be done to do this and went to work and so far it’s been a win-win for me with my new dual battery system and a programmer that I can plug in easily and make my changes and then unplug it and yes you can do this with a Tazer but not for the $75 I have invested in JSCAN so it all comes down to what you want.

Again this is not a knock toward the Tazer as it’s a great product with great support you just have to decide what you want and I did not need any of the live features of the Tazer but did want to use the non live stuff but then Jscan came onto the scene so sold off the tazer and made my $$ back and went for JSCAN and it does the same thing the Tazer did for me but for a lot less plus the OBD II BT module works with a lot of free apps that give me a lot of useful info on my JL.
Sponsored

Last edited: