Sponsored

So I'm Gonna Tackle the Mopar Lift Install....any words of wisdom?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Alignment is going to be roughly $100 - $150. I think for $550 with the alignment, it's not a bad price. Of course I'm cheap, so I'd still do it myself to save the $400 (small lifts really aren't that hard). Some people would rather pay the dealership to do 3 hours of work rather than spending their day doing it themselves. Just depends on if you'd rather do it or save the money. When faced with such decisions I always ask myself, "if someone told me they'd give me ______, to do ________, would I do it?" That's essentially what it comes down to. If someone said they'd give you $550 to installing a lift, would you do it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
My dealer did it for $295 and an alignment. Took them about 2hrs. I bought the kit without the box and it was around $1200.

20180726_105813.jpg
Are you running your stock Rubi KO2s in this pic?

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Doing mine at a friends shop tonight. He says he doesn't think it'll take over 2 hours.
So how long did it take you and your friend to do the install?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No. They are the 315 KO2. So almost 35".
Crazy how 35s almost look too small on lifted Rubis. I can almost understand why people are going with 37s instead of 35s. With the JKs everyone went from 33s to 35s, including myself. Now it seems 37s are the new 35s.

TheCappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Crazy how 35s almost look too small on lifted Rubis. I can almost understand why people are going with 37s instead of 35s. With the JKs everyone went from 33s to 35s, including myself. Now it seems 37s are the new 35s.
Yeah, they look small in there but I'm going to wait on 37s. I'm heading out this Saturday and see how much clearance the 35s have before I think about 37s. Remember that the KO2 are small 35" and 37". So a real 35" would fill it out better.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
After 2 weeks of researching my options for a lift, I have finally decided on the Mopar 2" lift. I bought mine off of Amazon for $1289 shipped. I spoke to almost every dealer in a 100 mile radius and they all must be smoking crack. The cheapest quote for kit plus install was $2100 and the most expensive quote was $2800. The average quote was about $2500. So I have decided to take this on and do it myself. Not only will the financial savings be worth it but I think the sense of accomplishment when I am done will be rewarding as well.

So the kit is scheduled to arrive Monday July 30th. I am planning on the install the following day. I will gladly accept any and all tips, advice, words of wisdom, etc. I plan on compiling a list of tools before then as well so if you want to provide your .02 cents then that will be appreciated as well. And I will be sure to post before and after pictures once completed.
Having done a lift on my jl not to long ago there are quite a few little things that helped me with the process. Unfortunately most of them I cant really remember. However I do remember a few helpful hints. (Most of which I could have avoided with a little thought.)
1) installing bumpstops absorbed most of my time. The bolt and nut combo is annoyingly placed. I used a pair of surgical tweezers to hold the nut and thread it on. (The front bumpstops have very little space to work with.
2)when taking any bolts off dont pull or push on them with even the slightest of load. If it doesnt come out easily dont force it. I destroyed the threading on a few of the bolts doing so with very little effort and spent time at the hardware shop due to the mistake.
3)having a friend around helps out a ton. When you take the shocks off or put them on, replace the track bars or do anything that requires you to move out from under the jeep, it's incredibly annoying to have to do so. You'll need to lower and raise the axle till its happy enough to pull out or put in the bolts without force.
4)be aware of how much height space you have in your garage, jacking the jeep up high enough to get 6 tons under and support the axles enough to get the tires off gets very close contact with garage door parts etc.
5)make sure after you install all parts that you check all bolts for tightness. Go for a small ride and find somewhere to test the flex and be certain all cables are free with enough room at full drop to have no tension.
If you have any questions or need help PM me and I'll give you my number.
If you're local I'll help you do it as well.
Otherwise good luck

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
Ps having worked at a dealership I would never take it there for work. Even under warranty I would seek other options unless absolutely needed.

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Decided to do the install myself. Had all my ducks in a row and was planning on the install right after dinner tonight. I had ordered the kit off of Amazon with guaranteed delivery for today, Monday July 30th. Well so much for amazon guarantees. Was notified there was a delay and delivery was postponed until tomorrow. I am disappointed but ready to take this on tomorrow. I hope UPS arrives early.

Sponsored

CNPalmer

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I had ordered the kit off of Amazon with guaranteed delivery for today, Monday July 30th. Well so much for amazon guarantees. Was notified there was a delay and delivery was postponed until tomorrow.
On a side note, if you have a Prime account and it was supposed to come as a 2-day Prime delivery and they missed the delivery, reach out to Amazon (I usually use their Chat option) and ask for a free 1 month extension on your Prime account. They missed so many deliveries I extended mine until December of this year, was supposed to expire in March ;)

OP
OP
Trauma PA

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
On a side note, if you have a Prime account and it was supposed to come as a 2-day Prime delivery and they missed the delivery, reach out to Amazon (I usually use their Chat option) and ask for a free 1 month extension on your Prime account. They missed so many deliveries I extended mine until December of this year, was supposed to expire in March ;)
Thanks CNPalmer. I do have a Prime account. Will do just that.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yup, they've done the same for me. They may not always be able to deliver on the guarantee, but they will stand by it if they don't, and compensate you some how.

FrankieFJL

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
IT Professional
Vehicle Showcase
That's why I'm not sold on installing a lift. With 35's on a non-lifted Ruby I think it looks badass. It's been off road twice and was not aware of any rubbing either.