Sponsored

So if I was to putz around with Off Road+

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
It's way too aggressive for most rock crawling. It's great, however, for playing in the dunes.
i assume you’re not in 4Lo while blasting the dunes, but I understand the mapping is completely different for off-road+ when in 4Lo vs 4Auto. Ie 4Lo is meant to make it easier on the throttle etc. Is it too aggressive still?
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

i assume you’re not in 4Lo while blasting the dunes, but I understand the mapping is completely different for off-road+ when in 4Lo vs 4Auto. Ie 4Lo is meant to make it easier on the throttle etc. Is it too aggressive still?
4hi in the dunes, but that's because mine's a diesel.

4lo when rock crawling. OR+ is way too aggressive for that. It wasn't designed for rock crawling as far as I can tell.

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
So the 392 is AWD?
Nope. Full time 4WD. 4 HI Auto is the default, where the transfer case splits power between front and back depending on demand and traction. Most of the power goes to the rear, put when you stomp on the skinny pedal, and in situations where the vehicle detects loss of traction in the rear, it will start feeding more power to the front.

Then there's what is labeled "Full time 4WD", which is basically your regular 4 Hi that all Wranglers have, as well as 4 LO, of course

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Nope. Full time 4WD. 4 HI Auto is the default, where the transfer case splits power between front and back depending on demand and traction. Most of the power goes to the rear, put when you stomp on the skinny pedal, and in situations where the vehicle detects loss of traction in the rear, it will start feeding more power to the front.

Then there's what is labeled "Full time 4WD", which is basically your regular 4 Hi that all Wranglers have, as well as 4 LO, of course
Honestly that sounds an awful lot like AWD. My wife Subaru Forester is AWD, and it also splits traction between all four wheels, mind you there's no axle, it's Independent suspension. I don't know why, but Full Time 4WD makes me think of VTEC, a trademarked name for a feature which lots of vehicles have.

Probably a noob question here: What exactly is the difference between AWD and Full Time 4WD? Other than the solid front rear axles that is, which seemingly only Jeeps have nowadays.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
http://rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/difference_4WD_awd.html

"All wheel drive (AWD) is almost the same thing as full time 4WD - it is a system that powers all four wheels of a vehicle at all times as well. It can be used full time on all surfaces including pavement like full time 4WD. Difference to full time 4WD is that a "4-low" setting is not available in AWD cars. Due to the lack of "low range", AWD vehicles are much less capable in off-road settings than full time 4WD vehicles, but work perfectly well on-road."

https://www.sportsubaru.com/subaru-x-mode.htm

"2. Transmission

X-Mode keeps transmission in a lower gear so that engine power can be delivered stronger. This shifting pattern, while X-Mode is ON, lets the driver make the most of the power that is available."

So by these standard's, Subaru's actually have Full-Time 4WD!!!
Jeep Wrangler JL So if I was to putz around with Off Road+ friends-joey-tribbian

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I looked through all of the settings (2023XR) and can’t find the option to have it start with OR+. You can turn traction control back on with OR+ engaged though.
Then the manual does lie .

ohthatguy

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rubicon 392

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, I meant I just scrolled through the settings screens and didn’t see anything.
So if no “auto launch with off road +” in settings, per page 219, the manual lies. I thought perhaps mine doesn’t due to being an early one, but your 23 doesn’t either.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
4hi in the dunes, but that's because mine's a diesel.

4lo when rock crawling. OR+ is way too aggressive for that. It wasn't designed for rock crawling as far as I can tell.
Hmm, I really only use it off road in 4lo. Def makes the throttle response much slower. Doesn’t jerk when engaged. Must be 392 specific.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Hmm, I really only use it off road in 4lo. Def makes the throttle response much slower. Doesn’t jerk when engaged. Must be 392 specific.
I played around with it quite a bit Sunday on Golden Spike / Rusty Nail / Poison Spider in Moab. OR+ in 4LO with my diesel is just too damn sensitive. Maybe mine's not working as intended.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I played around with it quite a bit Sunday on Golden Spike / Rusty Nail / Poison Spider in Moab. OR+ in 4LO with my diesel is just too damn sensitive. Maybe mine's not working as intended.
Could tires/gears be “tricking” the computer. 🤔

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Could tires/gears be “tricking” the computer. 🤔
I'm not sure how. The computer knows that I've got 37s with 4.63 gears. Speedo is accurate and the transmission works really well.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
In low range or high? My understanding is that it's supposed to slow down throttle input during low range operations. But my 18 doesn't have OR+, so I don't know.
Sponsored