Sponsored

So.....I want to buy a DSLR....photographers with opinions?

dirtygertie_jlu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
So for those that have said that this is the wrong place for photography advice, I respectfully disagree. You’d be surprised at the amount of Jeepers who also take some killer photos. While I may not be at their level, I take decent enough shots to share on forums and social media.
As for the OP’s question, here is my opinion:
You have 2 options, the cheaper (but still pretty damn good quality photo) option and the more expensive future-proof option if you’re not looking to make it more than a hobby

Cheaper option:
Get a used older-model full frame DSLR professional camera such as the Canon 5D Mk ii. While it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles, it takes phenomenal still photos and will be more than enough for a hobbyist
Pros:
-Cheap camera body ($400 used)
-Cheap but high quality lenses available (older models)
-Weatherproof for outdoor shoots

Cons:
-Not the best auto-focus for moving shots
-Bigger and Bulky
-Doesn’t have all the features

Expensive Option:
Pick up any relatively new full frame mirrorless camera like the Sony a7iii (by far the most popular camera in car photography) Even the cheaper ones have all the bells and whistles you’ll need and will be enough camera to meet every desire you’ll ever have
Pros:
-Insane photo quality
-Small and portable
-With practice you can capture action shots
-All sorts of bells and whistles
Cons:
-Expensive camera body ($1400+)
-Expensive lenses (DONT CHEAP OUT ON LENSES)
-All the features can be overwhelming for a beginner

I started photography a year ago and use it exclusively for Jeep pics. I have used both cameras recommended and would be happy to answer any questions you or anyone else might have. I have some pics taken from each camera as well

1CC9360F-6E12-49CA-9B6D-822F980EBC19.jpeg

C9135C36-054E-46DC-9DCD-8F5734F79410.jpeg

0084C40A-ED30-465F-96FA-7493C9881932.jpeg

E7A2D4CA-9421-466D-BE3D-BA86C10771C0.jpeg

0F3536A9-70AA-4A1C-931C-3850B4EB20FA.jpeg
Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji all have products that could work for you.

You have to decide on sensor size- there are advantages and disadvantages to APS-C vs full frame, a disadvantage of full frame is the cost of the body and the cost and size of the lenses. There is very little image quality difference between the 2 formats. It is hard to live will full frame on a budget because of all of the good but expensive lenses on the market.

You have to decide on mirrorless vs. optical viewfinder (DSLR). Again there are advantages to the mirrorless but some people prefer the realism of the optical viewfinder.

I had a D300 then went to D7200, then to D750 and D810 so I know the most about the Nikon line. D7500 is certainly a good choice.

Jeep Wrangler JL So.....I want to buy a DSLR....photographers with opinions? 0964DSC_1599w

dirtygertie_jlu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji all have products that could work for you.

You have to decide on sensor size- there are advantages and disadvantages to APS-C vs full frame, a disadvantage of full frame is the cost of the body and the cost and size of the lenses. There is very little image quality difference between the 2 formats. It is hard to live will full frame on a budget because of all of the good but expensive lenses on the market.

You have to decide on mirrorless vs. optical viewfinder (DSLR). Again there are advantages to the mirrorless but some people prefer the realism of the optical viewfinder.

I had a D300 then went to D7200, then to D750 and D810 so I know the most about the Nikon line. D7500 is certainly a good choice.

Jeep Wrangler JL So.....I want to buy a DSLR....photographers with opinions? 0964DSC_1599w
Well said man and nice shot!

dirtygertie_jlu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
@himynameiznick Great pics. How much post has been done to these out of curiosity.
I try my best not to do too much editing as I want the photo to look realistic. For the pictures shown, maybe 5-10 mins of editing at most. Mostly just gradient filters, adding some clarity and adjusting tones curve just a tad.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I try my best not to do too much editing as I want the photo to look realistic. For the pictures shown, maybe 5-10 mins of editing at most. Mostly just gradient filters, adding some clarity and adjusting tones curve just a tad.
They look just stunning. Would you care to share your entire set up; body, lens, settings that you used on that first pic of the jeep kicking up sand? I am a complete newb and just trying to learn a bit.

dirtygertie_jlu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
They look just stunning. Would you care to share your entire set up; body, lens, settings that you used on that first pic of the jeep kicking up sand? I am a complete newb and just trying to learn a bit.
Thanks so much, really appreciate that. The action shots of my Jeep were actually taken by my buddy, but we have very similar setups and photo styles. We both use Sony a7iii camera, but he uses zoom lenses mostly. His is a Tamron 70-180 f 2.8, while I mostly use prime lenses. I attached two pics of my buddy’s car that I took with a Sony 85 1.8 lens. On all three shots, I put the settings on top for you to reference. For the action shot of my Jeep, I removed all the editing so you can see what the picture started as too. If you want to check out more shots with my camera setup, my IG is dirtygertie_jlu

06B2CDBA-C33C-46DF-B057-92EB55E568D6.jpeg

6E974558-53FC-4223-A0DE-993B95D059DC.jpeg

13DA682C-0A41-402A-B199-8867C42EDE84.jpeg

Pinion

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 FJ40, 22 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Project Manager
I have a Nikon D5200. No complaints. Get a good set of filters, and learn to use photo software. I'd rather transfer files without WiFi. I use a micro SD card in an adaptor. Pop the chip out of the phone and into a tablet.
I got mine off Craigslist for about 1/3 the price.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I apologize for not taking the time to read the entire thread. I have a Canon Rebel T6, Canon Rebel T6i, GoPro Hero6 with two spare batteries and external charger, a 50mm macro, a 180mm macro, a wide angle zoom, remote shutter release, tripods, and tons of other stuff. I inherited most of it from my dead mother. I never take the time to use any of it, and I would part with the whole lot for $2,000. The 180mm macro is still worth close to $1,000, and so is the wide angle zoom. The bodies could fetch about $400 each. All in all, $2,000 for the entire lot is an extremely reasonable deal.

I am honestly a few sheets in the wind right now. If you have any interest in purchasing this equipment, I will post a full and detailed enumeration of everything I actually have when I'm sober.

I'd love to see somebody actually use this gear. I'm thinking about selling off my musical instruments too. I haven't played music in years, and I've some extremely high quality musical instruments that are just sitting in cases, wishing I had a muse. I don't have a muse. I can't create stuff without a woman in my life, and I, gentlemen, couldn't get laid in a whorehouse with a fist full of $100 bills. My non-solitary years are just a sad memory of a past that no longer is and never will be again.

Hey, on the bright side, my son bought me a $300 microwave oven for Father's Day. It's not all bad.

Also, full disclaimer, I drank a pretty good amount of black jack tonight, and I am not sober.

Hit me up if you want some gently used camera gear cheap. Most of this belonged to my mother, who committed self death by alcohol back in 2007. None of it is new, but it's still good, because this stuff was expensive.

OP
OP
Fuel Fire Desire

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I have a Nikon D5200. No complaints. Get a good set of filters, and learn to use photo software. I'd rather transfer files without WiFi. I use a micro SD card in an adaptor. Pop the chip out of the phone and into a tablet.
I got mine off Craigslist for about 1/3 the price.

I’ve found that the D7500 won’t do a wifi transfer with RAW files anyway. I’ve been shooting in RAW + jpeg so I can get a quick pic sent to my phone and send them to the wife quickly. I prefer RAW files to work with in Lightroom. It’s amazing how easily I can salvage mis-exposed photos in it. After a couple months with it I find that the only time it’s in full auto is when I hand it to my wife to use, and I’m still learning proper exposure in different settings. Lightroom helps to make up for my inexperience. The in-camera effects for jpeg files aren’t bad either. The kit lenses with VR are a lifesaver for preventing motion blur.

I really don’t use my laptop for any kind of computing anymore, so I got a SD adapter for the iPad. It runs Lightroom quite well, and RAW files don’t take long to transfer.

Sponsored

dirtygertie_jlu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sport
I’ve found that the D7500 won’t do a wifi transfer with RAW files anyway. I’ve been shooting in RAW + jpeg so I can get a quick pic sent to my phone and send them to the wife quickly. I prefer RAW files to work with in Lightroom. It’s amazing how easily I can salvage mis-exposed photos in it. After a couple months with it I find that the only time it’s in full auto is when I hand it to my wife to use, and I’m still learning proper exposure in different settings. Lightroom helps to make up for my inexperience. The in-camera effects for jpeg files aren’t bad either. The kit lenses with VR are a lifesaver for preventing motion blur.

I really don’t use my laptop for any kind of computing anymore, so I got a SD adapter for the iPad. It runs Lightroom quite well, and RAW files don’t take long to transfer.
I’ve been thinking of switching over to an iPad as my primary tool for photo and video editing. Do you have the iPad or iPad Pro? Is it a little easier to edit there than on a computer?

OP
OP
Fuel Fire Desire

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I’ve been thinking of switching over to an iPad as my primary tool for photo and video editing. Do you have the iPad or iPad Pro? Is it a little easier to edit there than on a computer?
I have an iPad Pro. It’s computing power is on the same level as my older laptop. Using the pen would help with touch ups in PS, but I just use Lightroom. It’s touch based controls work very well. Very intuitive.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I use affinity photo. It’s unlike the other subscription based editing softwares and allows a one time purchase and add ons as needed. I really like it.

Greymatter

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Jumping in a little late but as a new Jeep owner happy to see some photography talk here.

One of the things I enjoy about my Jeep most is being able to take pictures of it. I’ve been Using Sony now for about 5 years after switching to mirrorless. The size, the feel and the quality are all amazing on the Sony cameras IMO. I was a longtime Nikon DSLR user and never looked back.

I tend to use primes mainly, they force you to move around, they are at times better quality per $ vs zooms and usually much lighter.

Also have switched to use my phone and Lightroom for webedits, with Lightroom and the type of editing I do it works quick and flawlessly.
Jeep Wrangler JL So.....I want to buy a DSLR....photographers with opinions? 24E461AC-AC16-4FDD-B676-6567EC231094
Jeep Wrangler JL So.....I want to buy a DSLR....photographers with opinions? B2FF0228-26BD-4DD5-B573-66CAA834F457
Jeep Wrangler JL So.....I want to buy a DSLR....photographers with opinions? B266FA5D-2DCA-43FE-8CCE-50F3E39C009A
Sponsored