Sponsored

So.....I want to buy a DSLR....photographers with opinions?

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
The wife and I are expecting our first, and we’ve decided our anniversary gift to one another should be a good camera for the new addition coming soon. I have had experience with SLR’s in the past, but it’s been many years (since iPhone cameras became decent) since I’ve used 35mm SLR’s. We (I) would like to get a full featured camera, something a step above a “beginner” camera so we (I) can grow into it. Photography has been a hobby I’ve actively avoided because I know it’s going to wind up being the same kind of money pit shooting and Jeep’s have become for me. But if I’m going to do it....I want to do it right. Buy once, cry once.

The main things we want, are wi-fi (to instantly transfer to a smartphone), good (accurate and fast) auto focus, integrated flash and hot shoe, prefer 4K video, image stabilization, ability to shoot with a very narrow depth of field, good ISO range without it turning into a grainy mess, ability to shoot macro/ portrait/ and a decent telephoto lens for outdoors.

I’d like to have the ability to grow into the camera, without me getting to a point where I wish it had more ability as I learn. I like to photograph objects more than landscapes, things like this:

(iPhone)

Jeep Wrangler JL So.....I want to buy a DSLR....photographers with opinions? {filename}

Jeep Wrangler JL So.....I want to buy a DSLR....photographers with opinions? {filename}

My old SLR was a Pentax, but I have a soft spot for Nikon. My initial thought is a D7500, specifically the “dual zoom lens kit” they offer. The kit includes a bag and an AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3. 5-5.6G VR Lens and the AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4. 5-6.3G ED VR lens, no other cheap filters/ flashes/ gear. Just the camera, a bag, and two Nikkor lenses. My old Pentax SLR was sold in a similar kit, and worked just fine for me. Grey market the kit is about $1200, though I’d prefer a dealer for warranty retention, looks like dealers have the kit for $1400.

I don’t want to spend much more than $1500 for the body and a pair of lenses.$2000 is a hard limit for initial start up cost. I can always add filters, flashes, and other gear as I go.

Does anyone here with experience have an opinion? Is the D7500 too much camera? Also....any opinions on DSLR vs mirrorless or APS-C vs Full Frame? I understand that diving into the latter of those two options will bring the price point up, or sacrifice other features, the question is ‘is it worth it’ for someone who isn’t going to turn this into anything more than a casual hobby.

Any opinions are welcome!
Sponsored

Reactions: omg

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
Judging by your original post and your photos, are you absolutely sure you shouldn't just save your money to pay for more and a higher level of professional counseling?

Chrisdupe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Go full frame. Nikon D750 would tick most of your boxes.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
My opinion: I wouldn't go to a camera forum to get advice about which jeep to buy or to a jeep forum for advice on which camera to buy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fuel Fire Desire

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Judging by your original post and your photos, are you absolutely sure you shouldn't just save your money to pay for more and a higher level of professional counseling?
Considering she got herself a JT to match my JL, and we just happened to own property within the same national forest since before we met, I’d say we’re on the same page. The DSLR was her idea as an anniversary gift actually... This is why we’re married, lol.

My opinion: I wouldn't go to a camera forum to get advice about which jeep to buy or to a jeep forum for advice on which camera to buy.
Well...since many people into mechanical hobbies often share the same hobbies, and many Jeepers enjoy outdoor activities, it is reasonable to assume that there are enthusiasts with an opinion. An opinion that will less likely be based in passionate brand bias or elitism found on a hobby specific forum, and since we share similar interests, with a perspective and mindset similar to my own.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Get the Canon RP with the 24 - 240mm lens. I don't think I've ever had an out of focus shot and the lens covers a very wide range. Definitely do not get a dslr, once you experience the advantage of mirrorless, you'll never go back.

Last edited:

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
The tools aren't as important as the ability to use the tools. From the photographic examples you've provided, I'd offer you don't really need fancy-schmancy expensive photography equipment, you're taking great photos with an iPhone. Are you already using apps to manually tweak your photo captures?

With interchangeable lenses, it's not the camera that's all that important to blow your money on, it's the system of lenses. I literally have a cardboard box with three old DSLRs sitting in the corner of my living room. Cameras are always getting "better", but with the way people are consuming photographic/video media nowadays, do you really need "better"?

Currently, I'm using a little Canon M6 mirrorless with my collection of lenses, and it's laughable how cartoonishly small the camera is attached to the end of giant zoom lenses. Actually, I rarely use the Canon setup, most of my photos are with my phone (like everyone else). My phone has a manual mode for the camera, so it allows a fair amount of tweaking (or simulated tweaking) similar to a dedicated photo camera.

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
The wife and I are expecting our first, and we’ve decided our anniversary gift to one another should be a good camera for the new addition coming soon. I have had experience with SLR’s in the past, but it’s been many years (since iPhone cameras became decent) since I’ve used 35mm SLR’s. We (I) would like to get a full featured camera, something a step above a “beginner” camera so we (I) can grow into it. Photography has been a hobby I’ve actively avoided because I know it’s going to wind up being the same kind of money pit shooting and Jeep’s have become for me. But if I’m going to do it....I want to do it right. Buy once, cry once.....

Does anyone here with experience have an opinion? Is the D7500 too much camera? Also....any opinions on DSLR vs mirrorless or APS-C vs Full Frame? I understand that diving into the latter of those two options will bring the price point up, or sacrifice other features, the question is ‘is it worth it’ for someone who isn’t going to turn this into anything more than a casual hobby.

Any opinions are welcome!
We have DSLRs Nikon D90 DX and 2 - D600s FX plus Sony Mirrorless NEX 3N DX and NEX 6 DX and A7S FX. Each body has its pros and cons. Really depends on what you want to shoot and what you want to learn. All our Nikon lenses adapt to the Sony but are manual focus. We mainly take portraits and lean more to artistic shots in both photo and video mode - but shoot everything. Lenses are key and we generally prefer FX primes like our 50 1.2 and 1.4 and 85 1.4 but also like our 16-28 FX 2.8 and 18-35 DX 1.8. For basic shots the slow kit zoom lenses are like cellphones. We also use multiple flash and umbrellas and a mandatory necessity dead cat mic for flawless sound outdoors.

So you are very correct in that this can be a money pit rabbit hole. But we love the challenge as you can always teach an old dog a new trick. Most our gear was bought used at great prices so we can sell it for near the same price today.

For Nikon the D750 FX that was mentioned is a good choice for DSLR. If not set to a particular brand check out the current mirrorless options from Fuji, Canon, Sony, and Nikon. Personally if we had a choice today would get the Sony A7S iii plus some nice Sony glass. Way over your budget but will allow you to take super low light photos and video that will simply amaze you in near total darkness. The A7S can take a similar shot - just takes more effort and skill. For multiple flash the Nikon DX and FX CLS setups are no brainer dead simple for portraits.

The D7500 should be ok and the zooms you note ok for tack sharp images with a touch of bokeh. This setup is def not too much camera for a casual hobby, but really just a stepping stone down the rabbit hole of lifelong photography and cinematography pursuits.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You may find that there are many experienced photographers here on this site.

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
Any modern camera you buy today will meet your needs and everyone has their favorite brand and/or format so you are going to get a bunch of difference answers. My suggestion is to go to an actual camera store and hold some of them because everyone has a different sense on what is comfortable or engaging to use.

My only other suggestion is that mirrorless is the future so you may want to look into a mirrorless body instead of a DSLR. Buying used is also a great option to save money and keep you under your budget. There are a number of good places to buy used from when you decide what you want.

OP
OP
Fuel Fire Desire

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any modern camera you buy today will meet your needs and everyone has their favorite brand and/or format so you are going to get a bunch of difference answers. My suggestion is to go to an actual camera store and hold some of them because everyone has a different sense on what is comfortable or engaging to use.

My only other suggestion is that mirrorless is the future so you may want to look into a mirrorless body instead of a DSLR. Buying used is also a great option to save money and keep you under your budget. There are a number of good places to buy used from when you decide what you want.
I did end up going to a big local long established camera shop that caters towards the professional end. I tried to get a Nikon D7500 kit, but apparently anything Nikon is hard to find right now. They wanted $1500 for the kit, but were out of stock. They had a D7500 body and the two kit lenses by themselves, and the guy hacked $350 off one of the lenses to rebuild the Nikon kit for the same $1500, and he also sold me a speed light with remote kit for $60 off. So in the end I got everything I wanted for about the same or just below internet pricing.

I’m very impressed with what it can do, how sharp images are, and how much light it can gather in near darkness.

I preferred the D7500 over the Z Series mainly because I liked its tactile button interface and size over the smaller body of the Z with its menu based interface. The button placement on the D7500 is about perfect, all the buttons on the front and back seem to fit where my fingers naturally fall, and most are programmable/ assignable. It is a dated design now, and I’d assume the entire F mount/ DSLR lineup at Nikon will probably be phased out soon, but I’m very satisfied with what I have and for its intended use. Not the best AF in video, but excellent quality pictures.

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
I did end up going to a big local long established camera shop that caters towards the professional end. I tried to get a Nikon D7500 kit, but apparently anything Nikon is hard to find right now. They wanted $1500 for the kit, but were out of stock. They had a D7500 body and the two kit lenses by themselves, and the guy hacked $350 off one of the lenses to rebuild the Nikon kit for the same $1500, and he also sold me a speed light with remote kit for $60 off. So in the end I got everything I wanted for about the same or just below internet pricing.

I’m very impressed with what it can do, how sharp images are, and how much light it can gather in near darkness.

I preferred the D7500 over the Z Series mainly because I liked its tactile button interface and size over the smaller body of the Z with its menu based interface. The button placement on the D7500 is about perfect, all the buttons on the front and back seem to fit where my fingers naturally fall, and most are programmable/ assignable. It is a dated design now, and I’d assume the entire F mount/ DSLR lineup at Nikon will probably be phased out soon, but I’m very satisfied with what I have and for its intended use. Not the best AF in video, but excellent quality pictures.
Nothing wrong with that setup and there will be f-mount glass for a very long time (I have a D500 and a Z6 myself). Having something you enjoy using is the most important thing!

Craigzjeep

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray
Occupation
Telco Installer, retired. Current job drinking beer and yard work expert.
Cant go wrong with Nikon or Canon
Sponsored