Sponsored

So I committed the sin of buying it instead of building it.

OP
OP
willieself

willieself

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2006 TJ Sport
Occupation
Oil and Gas-Production Chemical
After being into Jeeps for 20 years this May, I'll say it: the whole "built not bought" shit is DUMB. Who cares? What matters is how you use it- being able to drive it. Which, there is an argument to be made that driving it stock first helps you gain skill as a driver, but it's not super essential, especially if your rig is already built.

That said- your scenario is the ideal scenario: You found the Jeep you would have built, all ready and waiting for you. So you can start farther down the road. That's fantastic.

You definitely want something to air back up after the trail. It just makes life that much easier, rather than trying to find a gas station and wait in line to air up there. I did an ARB Twin knock-off, used and M.O.R.E. Mount, and mounted it in the rear of my Jeep behind the rear seat over the fender. Then I built a 4 way air up system for around $120 (I think It was actually $70 because I used gift cards for some of the stuff). I used it last year and it cut my post-trail time from an hour (airing up 37's with a small compressor takes a while) to about 20 minutes.
With the JK we started off completely stock...put a leveling kit on it myself to get rid of the nose down rake, first trip to Moab was on this set up. Learned we needed to get higher and bigger tires, for me its a balance of having a capable off road rig and still a comfortable daily driver for my wife. After that first Moab trip we did a 2.5 inch lift, and 285s and a slider rock rail step combo for the wife. Added the onboard compressor then. This setup took us to Ouray and two more trips to Moab over the next 3 years. As we got more and more confident and started to doing more challenging trails the need for more lift and more tire came as well. Like you said there is something to be said for driving them stock and figuring out what you need. The JL is a newer version of what the JK was headed to be.

The majority of the responses have been for on board air, which goes right along with what that little voice in the back of my mind has been telling me all along.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I had a single ARB mount in the JK and it worked very well..no complaints at all. Had it mounted above the brake master cylinder on the EVO mount. I'm thinking about either going up to the dual ARB on the Grimm Off Road mount or going CO2. My brother has a 15 pound Power Tank on his Gladiator and it works well for his setup. I would have to go with a 10 pound bottle to keep it small enough to put on roll bar to preserve the cargo space as much as possible. There is a bit of a cost saving initially with the Power Tank opposed to most of the ARB setups I have looked at. But long term its probably a wash.

Like I said, plan is to replace the factory wheels with Method 701 or 703s and step rails/skids. Probably a tailgate table as well.

Pics as requested

8qaMIm.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL So I committed the sin of buying it instead of building it. {filename}

And I see at least one Mandalorian fan has commented, can't get to Mandalore to bath in the living waters, but would a pic from Top of the World or maybe Hells Revenge cleanse me of my sins??? Gonna be October at the earliest for our next trip.
Strangely enough it still looks pretty OEM. Maybe my eye is a bit warped, but something tells me you could do with some curtain rods!
Jeep Wrangler JL So I committed the sin of buying it instead of building it. friends-joey-tribbiani (1)

OP
OP
willieself

willieself

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2006 TJ Sport
Occupation
Oil and Gas-Production Chemical
I don't really know what that means....other than the usual urban dictionary definition. I'm not sure how to take that