Sponsored

So How's The Real World Highway MPG?

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
what year and transmission? I am sure if I wasnt driving it mostly normal ;) it would be lower, plus I only use it as toy in nice weather. The gas mileage has suprised me, I figiured if I got 20 would be happy, as my father says no one on their death bed says, gee wish I had bought a car that got better gas mileage!
2015 manual.
Sponsored

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Took a 1600 mile roadtrip with a stock 6MT rubicon. Some periods I was getting 20, others I was getting 15. Was quite dependent on the wind/elevation changes. Overall I finished the trip averaging 17.9 mpg for travel at 72-76 mph.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Took a 1600 mile roadtrip with a stock 6MT rubicon. Some periods I was getting 20, others I was getting 15. Was quite dependent on the wind/elevation changes. Overall I finished the trip averaging 17.9 mpg for travel at 72-76 mph.
This mirrors my experience with my JLR manual.

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I was doing about 17mpg on avg on my JLUR, 50-50 hwy city mix, with 75mph+ cruising speeds in hwy.

Now at the same ratio, I decided to lower top speed on highway to see how the V6 performs trying to save gas and I am seeing about 19.5mpg. 15% decrease in consumption, not too bad!

Bronx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
I got my V6 manual Sahara in August with 25 miles on it, and the MPG indicator was at 13MPG. I didn't think that was so encouraging, considering the 2001 Ranger the Jeep replaced was averaging about 17 city and 25 highway.

MPG slowly increased as I drove it, peaking at just over 20MPG. I'm approaching 2000 miles and most of the time the indicator is around 19.5. I'm happy with that.

Bronx

Sponsored

waterpoloboy01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2018
18 JLUR stock with manual, I have to say my milage has been horrible. Im not sure whats up. Close to 100% in town with stop and go, with not a heavy foot, in Florida, and sitting at 13.5 ish.. I have about 1,500 miles on it now.. Would love some input. I would have expected to be in the mid 17's min, but 13's ugh.. Also, anyone notice how dark it is in the JLU's after dark, the inside lighting sucks.. Love my jeep other then these two things..

Mojito Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL MOJITO! 2dr Rubicon
Occupation
CFO
OK, I'm going to add my 2 cents regarding gas mileage. I have a 2 dr JLR, 3.6L 6 cylinder, 8 speed automatic with steel bumpers, warn winch and a couple of added off road lights (no lifts or bigger shoes). This week my JL will be passing 15,000 miles, so it's definitely broken in. I used to live in Savannah, GA and in town driving was in the 14 mpg range. Took it to VA once and got it up to around 22 mpg on country roads, but it sure does not like 70-75 mph interstate driving. By the time I was back in Savannah, the mpg was in the 18 mpg range and once the daily commute started (about 7 miles round trip daily) the mpg was heading fast toward the 14 mpg range. In October I moved to Tennessee and while pulling a u-haul trailer up the mountains on I-40, I experienced a whopping 12 mpg (I was really glad to drop that sucker off). I'm currently in the high 18 to low 20 mpg range with the high limit when avoiding any thought on getting on an interstate highway. Over Thanksgiving, I took a road trip to Denver, CO,. Started the trip at 19.2 mpg and finished 3,120 miles later at 18.9 mpg. Interstate highway driving almost 100% of the way with maximum speed reached of 90 mph, but overall speed was around 55 mph (considering stop lights, gas stops, etc. etc.). The exception to the rule regarding interstate driving occurred around Denver, CO. Interstate speed limit is 75 so added about 5 mph to this when traffic allowed. Normally, the gas mileage drops on interstates (as it did in TN, AK, TX, NM, KS, MO, etc); however, the JL loved the high altitude in CO and my gas mileage climbed into the 22 mpg range. So, to summarize a long story, weight makes a difference, interstate driving makes a difference, city driving makes a difference, altitude makes a difference, driving style makes a difference, etc. etc. By the way, absolutely no steering issues.

McCloude

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD / 2019 WK2 TH
18 JLUR stock with manual, I have to say my milage has been horrible. Im not sure whats up. Close to 100% in town with stop and go, with not a heavy foot, in Florida, and sitting at 13.5 ish.. I have about 1,500 miles on it now.. Would love some input. I would have expected to be in the mid 17's min, but 13's ugh.. Also, anyone notice how dark it is in the JLU's after dark, the inside lighting sucks.. Love my jeep other then these two things..
That's crazy, I'm also a JLUR stock, manual. I'm averaging 17.8 mpg. I have 6k miles on it, but the mpg hasn't changed any. Stop and go does affect it a lot. I'm 50-50 of stop and go, and hwy.

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
Rubicon unlimited, Steel bumpers, Roam side step rails, 3.6L, Automatic. Mostly stock but She is heavy. The overall mileage is great averaging 19.5 all around so far. Happy about that as I expected much worse.

The highway miles are also around 19.5 when cruising at 70. You would think highway miles would be better but no. The stop go traffic is pretty bad as I would guess 10mpg due to weight. Where the mileage is made up is on the side roads doing 40 to 55 mph. We have the same aerodynamics as a front facing sheet of plywood. Mileage is NOT why I bought a Wrangler though, If I was concerned about mileage I would have gotten a no-fun Hybrid. But for those that are wanting everything, you may want to hold out for the Diesel platform or Hybrid version. My tuned 3.0L Ram is killing the MPG's at 30+ in all around driving.

Bravo

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0, 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega CTD, 2019 Roadglide Special, 2015 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV, 2019 Skidoo Summit X 165, and 2018 Skidoo Summit X 154
JLUR manual... 80 mile round trip to work... Mostly highway... 65mph... 18 indicated... Haven't hand calculated but reset on fill up... 1400 miles on the odo

Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
17-18 atm but I expect when the everything settles in I'll be closer to their estimates. Only 500 miles on it atm. I drove a 2.0t and wasn't a fan. When the boost kicked in it was great but until I got their it felt gutless to me. 3.6 was much smoother across the board for me and should play nicer with big tires than a turbo. It's all personal preference I think but for me I wouldn't have taken the turbo if it were a free upgrade lol.

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
OK, I'm going to add my 2 cents regarding gas mileage. I have a 2 dr JLR, 3.6L 6 cylinder, 8 speed automatic with steel bumpers, warn winch and a couple of added off road lights (no lifts or bigger shoes). This week my JL will be passing 15,000 miles, so it's definitely broken in. I used to live in Savannah, GA and in town driving was in the 14 mpg range. Took it to VA once and got it up to around 22 mpg on country roads, but it sure does not like 70-75 mph interstate driving. By the time I was back in Savannah, the mpg was in the 18 mpg range and once the daily commute started (about 7 miles round trip daily) the mpg was heading fast toward the 14 mpg range. In October I moved to Tennessee and while pulling a u-haul trailer up the mountains on I-40, I experienced a whopping 12 mpg (I was really glad to drop that sucker off). I'm currently in the high 18 to low 20 mpg range with the high limit when avoiding any thought on getting on an interstate highway. Over Thanksgiving, I took a road trip to Denver, CO,. Started the trip at 19.2 mpg and finished 3,120 miles later at 18.9 mpg. Interstate highway driving almost 100% of the way with maximum speed reached of 90 mph, but overall speed was around 55 mph (considering stop lights, gas stops, etc. etc.). The exception to the rule regarding interstate driving occurred around Denver, CO. Interstate speed limit is 75 so added about 5 mph to this when traffic allowed. Normally, the gas mileage drops on interstates (as it did in TN, AK, TX, NM, KS, MO, etc); however, the JL loved the high altitude in CO and my gas mileage climbed into the 22 mpg range. So, to summarize a long story, weight makes a difference, interstate driving makes a difference, city driving makes a difference, altitude makes a difference, driving style makes a difference, etc. etc. By the way, absolutely no steering issues.
I am maticulous on these things. Based on my monitoring for over 4000 miles on our JLR, I would bet the the reported MPGs is on flat or nearly flat terrain. Also, living in the PNW, I think the switch in fuel additives in winter hurts mileage. After 1k (August 2018) or so our mileage in town was in the 17mpg range and highway was 22+mpg. Good times and smiling to the pump! Now fast forward to December 2018. City is barely over 15 and highway doesn't broach 20mpg. Not a complaint, for now. I drive it more than my Mercedes. But is a disappointment.

FreakinJeepin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ram 3500 HD, 1993 Forester, 2010 Outback, 2017 Outback
Hi. Anyone have a 2 door JL? If so, what MPG are you getting? Auto vs Manual. I have never had a Wrangler cause I drive a lot and with the lack of convenience features and poor mpg of previous models I never considered one. But now with the JL I am seriously considering buying one as from video reviews I watched, it drives more like a SUV than ever before. The EPA has the JL 4 door and 2 door 3.6 L with the same mpg figures but I think the 2 door should be better since it weighs less. I have seen mpg numbers on this forum for the 4 door but I do not see numbers from members with the 2 door. Almost daily, I check the internet for updates on the 2.0 t as I am hopeful that the 2.0 t with turn out okay MPG. I know Jeep recommends premium gas with the 2.0 t but the manual says it will run on 87. Most of my commuting is 55 mph or less. Thank you
If you are worried about driveability you will want the unlimited. The 2 door provides maximum manuverability off road. It was not designed for highway driving. It does a nice job on the highway but if you compare it to almost any other vehicles in freeway driving conditions it will probably be at the back of the pack. If you put it up against all those other cars in its enviroment - off road there is no comparison. Most of the other cars will not finish the test.

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Hella Yella Rubicon
After 2k miles our average is 14mpg

We have a 3.5 inch lift / 37 inch tires / MC under armor among other things. In addition, there's no flat areas where we live. The Jeep normally sits in 7th gear. Our average speed on freeway is 76mph.
Sponsored