So How's The Real World Highway MPG?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've posted that Fuely data before but the fact is that it is real world data. And the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of miles being tracked means that it is a very good average to work off of.

It should be no surprise that the Turbo engine uses more fuel because that's exactly what we see across-the-board with other brands also.
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I've posted that Fuely data before but the fact is that it is real world data. And the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of miles being tracked means that it is a very good average to work off of.
I disagree. Fuelly's data is only being input by members who are interested in tracking their mileage. That alone narrows the sample down to a select few, driving in a specific manner. Hardly a real world sample.

It should be no surprise that the Turbo engine uses more fuel because that's exactly what we see across-the-board with other brands also.
I'm not surprised either. The 2.0 could get better mileage if driven in a certain manner, but it is also capable of making more torque which would require more fuel. Spooling the turbo likely makes the AFR richer also, where the 3.6 would be leaner at similar loads. Also, something as minimal as throttle tuning could also impact mileage. I suspect that the highest vs lowest MPG will be a greater spread in the 2.0 than the 3.6. However the actual real world economy will vary based on many factors, most of which Fuelly's data does not take into account.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
How many people here check the computers accuracy against a calculator? I travel almost every week for work and rent A LOT of vehicles. I try to pick something different every time so I get the opportunity to test drive anything and everything I can. However, one thing I do in every vehicle is reset the computer before I even leave the lot. I understand the tank may not be topped off as I would fill it, but they are usually full. Some trips I'll fill up 2 or 3 times in the week but after every fill up, I calculate the MPG on my phone and compare it to the computer. Very rarely do the two ever match. Some even show a difference of more than 5mpg. Often times, the computer MPG is higher than calculated. Just wondering if everyone relies on the computer or calculates it by hand. This is another reason I like to use fuelly.com to track my vehicle history.
Glad you mentioned this. Every time I fill up I calculate MPG by hand and compare it to the ā€œAā€ trip. Every fuel receipt has this written on it:

Tank # (I started this with the JL; on previous vehicles I didnā€™t write this)
Miles for that tank
Mpg (c)
Mpg (o)

If Iā€™m in a hurry I donā€™t write the observed number; I can calculate it later.

Obviously on my YJ and TJ I could only do miles and mpg (o) as they didnā€™t have fancy calculators. The JLā€™s trip calculator is very handy; having its own mpg average separate from the other screen means I only have to reset one thing.

So far Iā€™ve been very impressed with how close the computer is to the actual observed mpg. Itā€™s usually within .5 mpg and so far the computer has been slightly higher than observed every time except one, I think.

By the way, I fill up at the same station every time and fill to the first click then add one more clickā€™s worth of fuel to try and keep my top-off technique the same. Unfortunately the fuel I buy probably isnā€™t the best quality, but hey, what can you do.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Glad you mentioned this. Every time I fill up I calculate MPG by hand and compare it to the ā€œAā€ trip.

So far Iā€™ve been very impressed with how close the computer is to the actual observed mpg. Itā€™s usually within .5 mpg and so far the computer has been slightly higher than observed every time except one, I think.
This mirrors my experience almost exactly.

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Glad you mentioned this. Every time I fill up I calculate MPG by hand and compare it to the ā€œAā€ trip. Every fuel receipt has this written on it:

Tank # (I started this with the JL; on previous vehicles I didnā€™t write this)
Miles for that tank
Mpg (c)
Mpg (o)

If Iā€™m in a hurry I donā€™t write the observed number; I can calculate it later.

Obviously on my YJ and TJ I could only do miles and mpg (o) as they didnā€™t have fancy calculators. The JLā€™s trip calculator is very handy; having its own mpg average separate from the other screen means I only have to reset one thing.

By the way, I fill up at the same station every time and fill to the first click then add one more clickā€™s worth of fuel to try and keep my top-off technique the same. Unfortunately the fuel I buy probably isnā€™t the best quality, but hey, what can you do.
I didn't have a JL at the time so I was really curious to see how accurate the computer was. Now that I have a JLUR (ordered March 2019, picked up April 2019) which only has a 1000 miles right now, I can confidently say the computer is more accurate than I expected. Compared to a lot of other vehicles, Jeep did a pretty good job calculating the MPG.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I disagree. Fuelly's data is only being input by members who are interested in tracking their mileage. That alone narrows the sample down to a select few, driving in a specific manner. Hardly a real world sample.
I'll tell you what my wife told me once. "You can have your opinion, but it's wrong."

Fuelly requires owners to input odometer readings and number of gallons required. It's basically doing hand calculations. Sure, it's possible to purposefully fudge those numbers, but why would somebody do that? And why would thousands of owners do that while logging hundreds of thousands of miles? Not going to happen.

So the FACT is, Fuelly data is the #1 way to get real-world results and information. One person may drive only in town. The next may drive only on the highway. Two others may do a mix of driving. But after hundreds of thousands of miles logged by countless thousands of members, the math is all going to even out.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
When I had smaller stock tires on my Sport S, I was getting 23-25 MPG on the highway. Now I average 18 on the nose between city and highway driving on 33ā€™s.

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
When I had smaller stock tires on my Sport S, I was getting 23-25 MPG on the highway. Now I average 18 on the nose between city and highway driving on 33ā€™s.
Yep I do a lot of highway and city driving and my average is also 18 spot on. The 33's on my Rubicon def keep me under 20. In fact doubt I'll ever see 20 unless maybe I drive a whole tank on the highway up north or something.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Fuely data is a good indicator. Been using it on every vehicle for years.
I find the avg mpg on the gage is always optimistically high by 2 mpg.
I don't reset the avg at each fillup, only odometer "A"

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I'll tell you what my wife told me once. "You can have your opinion, but it's wrong."
This is probably the TRUEST statement on this WHOLE forum!!!

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Based on the gauge, I get roughly 14-16 mpg, rural suburban sprawl driving. I did get almost 19mpg from Upstate NY to just north of Baltimore, MD when we went to visit family this Feb, so that was pretty cool. Way better than the 11-13mpg in my old TJ Rubi considering the extra bulk of a JLUR

VerservJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sportaharacon
Strangely enough I averaged 27.5mpg on a rental in northern AZ over 1700 miles. Dash display measurement and mostly highway miles. My own JL averages 22 in northern NY on mostly highway miles(although more city here) over 1600 miles. The engine seems to be more efficient around 75-80 than 65-70mph.

Macchiato

First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport S
Sport S. Stock AT tires. Been getting close to 22mpg on highway and 21 overall. 2 door. Calculated, not by trip

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Have the 3.6 8spd in stock Sahara, wifeys summer toy, avg 22 mpg overall with about 60% highway 40% local. May get 23sh on the highway. This is for first 3700 miles and I have compared evic to actual and it is within .4 mpg on the tanks I have checked.

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
With my 37" Cooper STT's and heavy bumpers + winch I'm getting around 16-17 MPG in my JLU Rubicon. I'm pretty OK with that considering it's built for grinding over rocks. If I do a lot of city driving it dips into the 14ish range and if I go above 80-85 mph it gets really bad fast (like 11-12MPG).
Sponsored