So How's The Real World Highway MPG?

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I never under stood why any one would worry about mileage on this type of vehicle. I bought a gas hog Monti Carlo in 74 for less than a pinto and my mileage was with in 2 mpg of that piece of junk and I got the Chevy for the same price cause of fuel scare, but I sure enjoyed the chevy 100 times more. This is a toy ride and do not worry.
Gasoline didn't cost $3.00/gal. in 1974 either, it had lead in it, and the air quality 44 years ago was much worse.

Nostalgia can be entertaining, but no way in hell would I prefer "Old Ivory", my '67 Impala rust bucket, over my Jeep. While it served me well from '74 to '76, it had a tempermental starter, a two-speed tranny, an exhaust system held on with coat hangers, and once a month I touched up the rusty quarter panels with a blast of white Rustoleum.
Sponsored

rtdwild

First Name
Artin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
LOL I'm blown away by everyone's result!!!! I Even saw on facebook someone is getting 21.X with 37s with re-gear to 4.88 and she was getting 16 prior. in start/stop traffic!
Either anyone getting above 18 is driving downhill right after they reset the AVG/MPG or again on daily commute drive downhill and tow the car back home :cwl:.

well My rig has 3.5 full mid arm(all 8 arms changed and hare much heavier) with 37 MT/R....has winch/side steps sliders/rack lights...etc and I'm getting 14.8 average 70%highway with 70-80 mph and 30% moderate city also need to mention I'm in SoCal and AC is on.
I went on a 1000 mile trip with full cargo and rear seats and I got 13.5mpg avg and almost never got 8th gear and 10% got into 7th.

So bottom line is that it all depends for sure how heavy of a foot you have and how heavy of a rig you have also the road conditions. if you're somewhere in Midwest with lotssa flat roads I'd accept even 17mpg coming up on my heavy rig, here in socal I get on the highway and I go 10miles downhill and get 22mpg and on the way back I need to climb that and I get 7 mpg.

but the Texan lady's 21.x made me rethink on regearing. if I average 17-18 I'd be in speechless!

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I have a 2 door Rubicon with a manual transmission. On the way to work yesterday, I wanted to find out what it would take for me to get the mpg many are saying they are achieving. I was getting 21mpg when I was on a long flat stretch of highway driving just a hair over 60mph. Who has time to drive 60mph on the highway!!! Otherwise, I’m getting about 17.5mpg with mostly highway driving.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
So bottom line is that it all depends for sure how heavy of a foot you have and how heavy of a rig you have also the road conditions.
^This.

Plus with a manual, if you "short shift" (a racing term for conserving fuel), you'll get better mileage. In simple terms, use a light foot and don't "wind it out" in a given gear unless you need more acceleration in a given condition. IOW, keep the rpms down.

I typically shift from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 at 2500-3000 rpm, and 1800-2000 rpm in the vast majority of driving conditions.

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Like I posted in every other MPG thread, I think the biggest factor is your right foot. I can get ALMOST 17. Also drive 80ish on the highway a couple times a day. Still I only get close to (maybe) 18 on the weekends.

JLUR manual soft top on right now...

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
How many people here check the computers accuracy against a calculator? I travel almost every week for work and rent A LOT of vehicles. I try to pick something different every time so I get the opportunity to test drive anything and everything I can. However, one thing I do in every vehicle is reset the computer before I even leave the lot. I understand the tank may not be topped off as I would fill it, but they are usually full. Some trips I'll fill up 2 or 3 times in the week but after every fill up, I calculate the MPG on my phone and compare it to the computer. Very rarely do the two ever match. Some even show a difference of more than 5mpg. Often times, the computer MPG is higher than calculated. Just wondering if everyone relies on the computer or calculates it by hand. This is another reason I like to use fuelly.com to track my vehicle history.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I find the new trip computers to be accurate within about .5 mpg, at least on my 17 SRT Challenger (avg about 25 mpg BTW ;) ) and 15 WK2, wife has reset the A and B odometers on the Overland so dont really know what it has avg over 44K, generally about 19 MPG. This comparing the actual gallons to the miles driven.

I am at 325 miles on the JL, driven mostly on back roads, around town, very little highway and avg a tad under 23 MPG, this a Sahara 3.6 8spd with LSD and Selctrac. Very pleased with that, especially since I hammered it first 50 miles to seat the rings and drove nothing but back roads and got caught in some heavy stop and go traffic.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
I have a 2 dr 6 speed manual w/35's running 29psi. My gas mileage while driving on hilly roads and trying to keep rpms below 3500 rpms is 16.1 mpg.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I find the new trip computers to be accurate within about .5 mpg, at least on my 17 SRT Challenger (avg about 25 mpg BTW ;) ) and 15 WK2, wife has reset the A and B odometers on the Overland so dont really know what it has avg over 44K, generally about 19 MPG. This comparing the actual gallons to the miles driven.

I am at 325 miles on the JL, driven mostly on back roads, around town, very little highway and avg a tad under 23 MPG, this a Sahara 3.6 8spd with LSD and Selctrac. Very pleased with that, especially since I hammered it first 50 miles to seat the rings and drove nothing but back roads and got caught in some heavy stop and go traffic.
You’re getting 25mpg in an SRT Challenger and 23 in a wrangler? Hey, the gas pedal is on the right! Lol

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
You’re getting 25mpg in an SRT Challenger and 23 in a wrangler? Hey, the gas pedal is on the right! Lol
Drive the SRT on a highway, in ECO mode doing 65-70 will pull 28-30 mpg, kid you not. Overall since I bought it, avg about 25 mpg, the LX cars are awesome best kept secret, just because you have 485 HP doesnt meen you always use it ;), talk softly and carry a big stick. Of course if I start hammering, yes it will swill gas with the best of them. Wrangler I have only had for a couple weeks, totally different, if I get 23 mpg all around will be happy. Heck my PT Turbos evg about 25 day in day out so no biggie. For comparison, a couple guys I know have AWD Challenger GT's and avg 28 sh and pull over 30 mpg on the highway with the 3.6, a very nice combo.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drive the SRT on a highway, in ECO mode doing 65-70 will pull 28-30 mpg, kid you not. Overall since I bought it, avg about 25 mpg, the LX cars are awesome best kept secret, just because you have 485 HP doesnt meen you always use it ;), talk softly and carry a big stick. Of course if I start hammering, yes it will swill gas with the best of them. Wrangler I have only had for a couple weeks, totally different, if I get 23 mpg all around will be happy. Heck my PT Turbos evg about 25 day in day out so no biggie. For comparison, a couple guys I know have AWD Challenger GT's and avg 28 sh and pull over 30 mpg on the highway with the 3.6, a very nice combo.
I never got anywhere near 25mpg with my SRT Challenger. I guess I both carry and swing a big stick. Oh, that didn’t sound right.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never got anywhere near 25mpg with my SRT Challenger. I guess I both carry and swing a big stick. Oh, that didn’t sound right.
what year and transmission? I am sure if I wasnt driving it mostly normal ;) it would be lower, plus I only use it as toy in nice weather. The gas mileage has suprised me, I figiured if I got 20 would be happy, as my father says no one on their death bed says, gee wish I had bought a car that got better gas mileage!

Ohwillyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ 2019 2DR JL Hellayella Rubicon (ORDERED 9/12/18)
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone is curious I have 2002 TJ Sport 6 cylinder with Auto transmission that is stock except for 31" tires and I get 17mpg. I'm really hoping to get better than that with the JLR I ordered last month.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
What mix of gasoline are you using? 10% ethanol has less energy content than 'pure' gas! I just finished a 2,000 mile trip. I refueled when the gas tank went below 1/4. My mpgs dropped by 10-20% when I used 10% ethanol.
Sponsored