Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
It doesn't sound too off to me, but its hard to say with youtube sound. These engines are designed for 87 octane. 91 isn't going to do anything for you except waste money. 91 isn't better than 87, it just burns slower.
I headed down to the dealer, they fixed the rear wiper by flliping the motor around and then I listened to a brand new Gladiator with the same engine and yes, they all sound like this and I was told it is a result of variable valve timing. I have to say I do not hear any unusual engine noise when driving but when I step outside the Jeep with the engine idling it sounds little different then most of 6 cylinders out there. I really enjoy driving my new Wrangler and perhaps I am little bit paranoid : ) .

OP
OP
Kluk Ztopolovky

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
yes all is fine , I listened to the new Gladiator and they all have the ticking noise , I was told by a mechanic at the dealership it's because of the variable valve timing , I am just little bit paranoid and I will sleep much better tonight

Sponsored

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Please provide data to support this.
The thinner weight is for CAFE standards only and to help meet EPA standards. I was a Ford teck for a few years and we always recommend to people that used to drive the old ford 5.4 3v to change to 5w30 after the warranty ran out. If you have ever heard anything about there cam phasers going out this was part of the problem. In Canada ford recomend 5w30 because they dont have the tight standards like we do and they had very few cases of them having cam phasers problems. Car manufacturers have been doing this for years just to meet EPA and CAFE standards. The amount wear on the engine is very minimal when using 0w20 or 5w20 but every little bit helps.

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
The thinner weight is for CAFE standards only and to help meet EPA standards. I was a Ford teck for a few years and we always recommend to people that used to drive the old ford 5.4 3v to change to 5w30 after the warranty ran out. If you have ever heard anything about there cam phasers going out this was part of the problem. In Canada ford recomend 5w30 because they dont have the tight standards like we do and they had very few cases of them having cam phasers problems. Car manufacturers have been doing this for years just to meet EPA and CAFE standards. The amount wear on the engine is very minimal when using 0w20 or 5w20 but every little bit helps.
Also just to mention that it is definitely NOT a good idea to go crazy and use 10w30 because of the tighter tolerances in these newer engines.

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I need to listen to some other new JL pentastar engine and hear how they sound. The engine in my Wrangler almost sounds like a little diesel engine. Just yesterday I met someone with a 5 year old JK parked next to me and I asked the driver if I could listen to his idling engine and his was quieter than mine and I didn't hear the ticking sound. I wonder what's going on. Maybe it is just the very thin 0 - 20W engine oil? Has anybody noticed anything about their JL pentastar engine sound?
I know some cars have rather loued injectors because they are not insulated very well. Mine makes the same sound, but I have always figured it was just due to loud fuel injectors.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Change to 5w30. Your cam phasers will thank you and the life of your engine will be extended. Who cares about the .001mpg you will gain with 0w20.
Agreed. 5w30 is the way to go in the 3.6 because of the valvetrain’s problematic history

Sponsored

Blizzy

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Just pay attention to it, mine started ticking like that & progressively got louder & one of the timing chain tensioners on the drivers side snapped a pin out of the block...ruined the engine.

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
I need to listen to some other new JL pentastar engine and hear how they sound. The engine in my Wrangler almost sounds like a little diesel engine. Just yesterday I met someone with a 5 year old JK parked next to me and I asked the driver if I could listen to his idling engine and his was quieter than mine and I didn't hear the ticking sound. I wonder what's going on. Maybe it is just the very thin 0 - 20W engine oil? Has anybody noticed anything about their JL pentastar engine sound?
Mine does the same, 2019 wrangler J L sport , mine is at top of engine, driver's side. obvious fixes camshaft phaser, or rocker arms if aplicable, anouther

JAY1941

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
LE
Check to make sure the hole on the driver side of the fire wall near the top is plugged. My plug fell out and I could hear the injectors or valve train ticking and it was driving me crazy. I found the plug in my driveway and plugged it back in an BOOM my JL is silent. Instant fix to what I was hearing. All I know is I let my JL run forever in the heat “ I know stupid” while it was parked in The driveway and it must have gotten hot enough to fall out.
Sponsored