Sponsored

so here is the ticking engine of brand new Wrangler JL

LucidDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S V6
Hi,
I just noticed that my oil level was too high and above the crosshatch region on the stick for about an inch or so which was definitely not good and dangerous for the engine.

Some f***ing idiot who changed the oil before probably put 6 quarts instead of 5 quarts indicated in the manual, therefore the overfill.

Not sure if that could've caused any damage to the engine already but it was definitely not right for the engine. I noticed that the engine was running pretty hot during sunny days here in Florida but the oil pressure was still ok during normal temperature, I don't remember what the oil pressure was when the weather was hot outside.

What I did was using a DIY oil pump and stuck the thin plumber hose into the dipstick hole. After 20-30 minutes of finger exercise, I pumped out about a quarter of extra oil and the dipstick now shows the oil level slightly above the middle of the range on a warm engine after stopping the engine for a bit. It is a good idea to check periodically to avoid having to add oil that was sucked out too much.

This is a pretty good YouTube video showing the safe way to take out excess oil:
Sponsored

xsaltlifex

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 black on black 6 spd 2 door
My 2021 3.6 with 1800 miles on it sounds just like that.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Mine is doing the same kind of ticking sound when idling. It is my first Wranger and I don't know if that is normal or a sign of some failing timing parts inside the engine.

Any thoughts?

Or

nothing abnormal about this engine.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
For anyone hearing ticket, listen to my video below. If that is the ticking you are hearing then you 100% have a problem. Top end ticking is normal, bottom end is not...

Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
For anyone hearing ticket, listen to my video below. If that is the ticking you are hearing then you 100% have a problem. Top end ticking is normal, bottom end is not...

Video doesnt work.

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
My '18 3.6 sounds like yours. I had a 2015 Durango with a 3.6 which was so quiet I had to look at the tach to see if was running, so I was surprised my current engine was a bit noisy. However, at 15K miles it runs well and uses no oil so I assume - :) - it's normal.

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
Hi,
I just noticed that my oil level was too high and above the crosshatch region on the stick for about an inch or so which was definitely not good and dangerous for the engine.

Some f***ing idiot who changed the oil before probably put 6 quarts instead of 5 quarts indicated in the manual, therefore the overfill.

Not sure if that could've caused any damage to the engine already but it was definitely not right for the engine. I noticed that the engine was running pretty hot during sunny days here in Florida but the oil pressure was still ok during normal temperature, I don't remember what the oil pressure was when the weather was hot outside.

What I did was using a DIY oil pump and stuck the thin plumber hose into the dipstick hole. After 20-30 minutes of finger exercise, I pumped out about a quarter of extra oil and the dipstick now shows the oil level slightly above the middle of the range on a warm engine after stopping the engine for a bit. It is a good idea to check periodically to avoid having to add oil that was sucked out too much.

This is a pretty good YouTube video showing the safe way to take out excess oil:
NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL NORMAL, NORMAL,NORMAL,.........WILL QUIET WITH AGE , 4 OVERHEAD CAMS BOYS, SETTLE DOWN NOW......
Sponsored