so here is the ticking engine of brand new Wrangler JL

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
Mine does the same, 2019 wrangler J L sport , mine is at top of engine, driver's side. obvious fixes camshaft phaser, or rocker arms if aplicable, anouther
My 2019 was doing the same thing , Tundras do that too,ok an after reading all the posts, my concern was that rocker arms are bad or camshaft phazer, from the factory ,(1100) miles, I took it to dealer, and of course,it did not duplicate the tapping , as loud it was , but slighty obvious, and dropped it off, They came back with noise due to VVT, as most owners will hear. Now there is obviously things which can cause this but, but start with easier fix first, to determine cause......
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think it is 100% normal. Mine sounds just like that, although I can't hear it in the cab. It runs strong, so I lose no sleep.

I have done used oil analyses after each change and they've been good and as expected. They've shown no indications that would give a concern.

I really hadn't noticed it in awhile until this thread reminded me, so thanks! Lol!

If it bugs you enough to try it, I would run a couple different brands of oil to see if you notice one that makes a difference. There are a couple out there worth trying. Here is a list of 0w20's I like with MS6395 approval, if that is important to you. Btw, I am currently running Valvoline Modern Engine 5w20 in my JK 3.8, which can be a bit noisy at startup, and it has quieted it down noticeably.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Valvoline Modern Engine
Valvoline Advanced (Same as Napa Synthetic)
Havoline Pro DS
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
Eneos
Mobil Super Synthetic (FCA lets them have MS6395 because it isn't a direct compeitor to Pennzoil Platinum. They won't for Mobil 1 products, because they are their #1 competitor. Corporate olitics at its finest. That's a whole other discussion.)

I'm not sure if these are MS6395, but I think they are good (Castrol isn't my fav because it seems to thicken up at extreme cold temps that I'll never see, Lol!)

Amsoil--(One of the very best, IMO)
Castrol--whatever their top syn is called (Edge? Edge Titanium?)
Idemitsu

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. 5w30 is the way to go in the 3.6 because of the valvetrain’s problematic history
2012 was the only real serious common issue and it was a problem of excessive wear in the left cylinder head. It was estimated that 1/2 of 1 percent of Pentastars were effected, which is just over 7,000 of them. That's hardly a problematic history, but it did get a lot of press. My buddy has a 2012 with lots of miles on it and his hasn't experienced the issue. Funny thing, though: His idles with no tick! Lol! Remember, they've made well over 10,000,000 Pentastars. They are the #1 selling engine in Canada, so if there was a problem with wear in the valve train, Canadians would be the first to know, especially with the cold temps up there.

Also, the 3.6 in our JL's is the newer one with a completely re-done 2 stage variable valve train. I'd be hesitant to deviate too much on oil weight. If I did that, I'd look at either a 0w30 or a thin 5w30. Pennzoil Platinum is the thinnest 5w30 I've seen.

Interestingly, that old 3.8 in my JK has all kinds of noise, especially at cold start up. (It is not a VVT engine). I've run everything from 5w20 to 0w40 and everything in between. The only oil that made it sound differently has been the Valvoline Modern Engine 5w20 that is in it now. I was very surprised at the difference. Even thicker 10w30 and the 0w40 made no difference, at all.

When I took my JL in October to Moab, they hadn't seen many JL's up to that time. A group of guys at Hell's Revenge ran up to my Jeep upon hearing it idling in the staging area. They were going nuts thinking I had the Ecodiesel. Man were they disappointed when I popped the hood. Lol!

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
2012 was the only real serious common issue and it was a problem of excessive wear in the left cylinder head. It was estimated that 1/2 of 1 percent of Pentastars were effected, which is just over 7,000 of them.
It wasn’t contained to those recalled in 2011-13 though. This issue continues to occur in 3.6’s newer than 2012. I’ve seen upto 2017 in Wrangler and 2015 in Durango.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It wasn’t contained to those recalled in 2011-13 though. This issue continues to occur in 3.6’s newer than 2012. I’ve seen upto 2017 in Wrangler and 2015 in Durango.
Ok, but they have not had a significant number of those issues since 2012. I'm not saying there have been no issues, but rather no pattern of any significance. The specific issue in 2012 was corrected, so similar later issues would have been within the normal level of defects typically seen in mass produced engine. I'm sure it was significant to the guy with the problem, but statistically speaking, the problem was solved.

Funny thing about these things. My buddy has a 2012 Pentastar with the known defect. His had the extended warranty, but he never experienced the problem. He's got about 90k on it now and it runs like a top and is quieter at idle than mine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 was the only real serious common issue and it was a problem of excessive wear in the left cylinder head. It was estimated that 1/2 of 1 percent of Pentastars were effected, which is just over 7,000 of them. That's hardly a problematic history, but it did get a lot of press. My buddy has a 2012 with lots of miles on it and his hasn't experienced the issue. Funny thing, though: His idles with no tick! Lol! Remember, they've made well over 10,000,000 Pentastars. They are the #1 selling engine in Canada, so if there was a problem with wear in the valve train, Canadians would be the first to know, especially with the cold temps up there.

Also, the 3.6 in our JL's is the newer one with a completely re-done 2 stage variable valve train. I'd be hesitant to deviate too much on oil weight. If I did that, I'd look at either a 0w30 or a thin 5w30. Pennzoil Platinum is the thinnest 5w30 I've seen.

Interestingly, that old 3.8 in my JK has all kinds of noise, especially at cold start up. (It is not a VVT engine). I've run everything from 5w20 to 0w40 and everything in between. The only oil that made it sound differently has been the Valvoline Modern Engine 5w20 that is in it now. I was very surprised at the difference. Even thicker 10w30 and the 0w40 made no difference, at all.

When I took my JL in October to Moab, they hadn't seen many JL's up to that time. A group of guys at Hell's Revenge ran up to my Jeep upon hearing it idling in the staging area. They were going nuts thinking I had the Ecodiesel. Man were they disappointed when I popped the hood. Lol!
I'm going to stick with Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 0w20, and Mopar filter, any reaso to deviateon 2019 Pentastar?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going to stick with Pennzoil Platinum synthetic 0w20, and Mopar filter, any reaso to deviateon 2019 Pentastar?
That's an excellent choice. The oil is as good as any and the filter is fine. I'd bet this is exactly the combination Mark Allen and the whole JL design team would tell you they'd run in theirs. You can expect great performance and a long life with that combo and change it according to the book.

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's an excellent choice. The oil is as good as any and the filter is fine. I'd bet this is exactly the combination Mark Allen and the whole JL design team would tell you they'd run in theirs. You can expect great performance and a long life with that combo and change it according to the book.
Thank you kind Sir

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I think it is 100% normal. Mine sounds just like that, although I can't hear it in the cab. It runs strong, so I lose no sleep.

I have done used oil analyses after each change and they've been good and as expected. They've shown no indications that would give a concern.

I really hadn't noticed it in awhile until this thread reminded me, so thanks! Lol!

If it bugs you enough to try it, I would run a couple different brands of oil to see if you notice one that makes a difference. There are a couple out there worth trying. Here is a list of 0w20's I like with MS6395 approval, if that is important to you. Btw, I am currently running Valvoline Modern Engine 5w20 in my JK 3.8, which can be a bit noisy at startup, and it has quieted it down noticeably.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Valvoline Modern Engine
Valvoline Advanced (Same as Napa Synthetic)
Havoline Pro DS
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
Eneos
Mobil Super Synthetic (FCA lets them have MS6395 because it isn't a direct compeitor to Pennzoil Platinum. They won't for Mobil 1 products, because they are their #1 competitor. Corporate olitics at its finest. That's a whole other discussion.)

I'm not sure if these are MS6395, but I think they are good (Castrol isn't my fav because it seems to thicken up at extreme cold temps that I'll never see, Lol!)

Amsoil--(One of the very best, IMO)
Castrol--whatever their top syn is called (Edge? Edge Titanium?)
Idemitsu
I agree with you on the Amsoil. One of the best for sure. I just did my 1st oil change today at 1004 miles. I used Amsoil 5w-30 SAE instead of the recommended 0w-20 SAE.

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you kind Sir
I do not know where to stick this thread, so I stuck it here. This is informational however, and I am NO WAY a qualifed mechanic. Bought 2019 jeep Jl 2 door wrangler 3.6 in July 2019, and noticed noisy vales on passenger side. Took to dealership and said no problems found. Ok so under medium or hard acceleration , get pungent convertor smell, and check engine light came on. OBD says P219A, fuel /air problem, been intermittant, but was doing this since ownership, and of course not doing it the day I took to jeep dealer. so, symptoms rattle in rocker arm area, somewhat less gas mileage and smell. After review , I was contacted by service writer, and he said bad camshaft lobe, and they were ordering new camshaft, roller bearings etc. service advisor did not mention rocker arms or any other parts related , ( phaser). My question is what parts must accompany this new camshaft, and what parts should i insist to insure problem alleviated , what replacement parts should be replaced while they are in there. I assume they found bad lobe using Micropod 2 . My question is what should i ask of service writer to insure problem is fixed and what additional parts should be installed

Sponsored

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2019 was doing the same thing , Tundras do that too,ok an after reading all the posts, my concern was that rocker arms are bad or camshaft phazer, from the factory ,(1100) miles, I took it to dealer, and of course,it did not duplicate the tapping , as loud it was , but slighty obvious, and dropped it off, They came back with noise due to VVT, as most owners will hear. Now there is obviously things which can cause this but, but start with easier fix first, to determine cause......
UPDATE, threw P219A code, dealership is replacing camshaft and all associated parts, oh joy

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE, threw P219A code, dealership is replacing camshaft and all associated parts, oh joy
Sorry to hear about this, but maybe it is a known issue and the fix will nail it. Keep us posted.

LucidDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S V6
Mine is doing the same kind of ticking sound when idling. It is my first Wranger and I don't know if that is normal or a sign of some failing timing parts inside the engine.

Any thoughts?

Or

Last edited:

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
And what do you think ?I think it sounds almost like a diesel engine but I checked and it is still a gasoline Pentastar 3.6 L . On my first fuel fill I used 91 octane gas too because I got a free coupon from the dealer to fill up the tank.

Definitely not normal. Take it to dealer.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is doing the same kind of ticking sound when idling. It is my first Wranger and I don't know if that is normal or a sign of some failing timing parts inside the engine.

Any thoughts?

Or

Didn't sound unusual to me. But phone audio is not a great way to pick it up, either. I'd take it in to have it checked if it doesn't sound right to you.
Sponsored